What's new

Question - Pumped Up Jax Pumped Up match up question

CL_ZBFD

Sr Saurio
Hey all you Jax monsters,

Quick question, Jax is a great character, my training partner mains him and I find him to be a great, fair character. In terms of match up my understanding, and please correct me if wrong, is that Jax struggles against strong zoners (HQT for example). We were discussing this and I´d appreciate your input.

So what do you see as tough match ups for Jax? In particular for PU? Do you agree that it´s mostly zoners (Quan, HQT, who else? Sektor?) Pressure heavy chars? In other words, what´s your Jax PU match up from hell?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Pumped Up is undoubtedly the best variation for Grandmaster.

I honestly never realised how tough the GM matchup could be for Jax until I tried going Wrestler against him. It was brutal.

Pumped Up mitigates a lot of Jax's disadvantages in the matchup. Full Screen Ground Pounds and Air Ground Pounds are your friend.

Pumped Up is undoubtedly the best variation for Grandmaster.

I honestly never realised how tough the GM matchup could be for Jax until I tried going Wrestler against him. It was brutal.

Pumped Up mitigates a lot of Jax's disadvantages in the matchup. Full Screen Ground Pounds and Air Ground Pounds are your friend.
I agree , i couldn't do shit against gm with wrestler i didn't try PU though

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Its a terrible MU but its not like you "can't do anything". Patience is a must + you need a lot of luck if you get cornered. Pumped Up is a much better option than Wrestler though. Wish I could do IAGP on this shitty PS4 controller.

Last edited:

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Standard PU Ground Pound low profiles ice ball at 3/4 screen (maybe even half screen, haven't played in a while) and hits Sub for 10%. Astute Sub players will bait you into this and hit you with the much faster Ex-iceball, so beware.

IA Ground Pound is, in my experience, overrated and not very useful, but YMMV. Not as fast as they look, and they don't low profile mids like the standard GP.

Standard PU Ground Pound has a very fast recovery when you factor in that the opponent has to jump to avoid it. It very often baits opponents into going for the illusory whiff punish, at which point you punish them with your 7 frame ex-gotcha for 22-24%.

Meanwhile, Air GP is -44 on whiff, which means that if your opponent gets the jump on you, you're gonna eat a full combo.

The utility of Air GP in the GM matchup is to make every jump a mixup. The gameplan for Jax, IMO, is to break that clone with GP's, Air GP's and even energy waves any time he tries to set it off, in order to get that cooldown started. The GP's have the added benefit of chipping away at his health 10% and 6% at a time, putting some consequences on him for throwing it out there recklessly.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
IMO, the single most annoying thing about this matchup is that ice clone attempts beat out F21 in neutral. F21 is my getting in tool at medium-close range, I find it very hard to condition myself out of using it for this singular matchup.

That, and those times where you ex-dash through his clones at just-too-long a range, and by the time you collide with the clone your armor has worn off and you get frozen. So frustrating.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Is the Grandmaster match really that bad? I don't play much Jax but in theory can't you just use EX-gotcha grab or EX-dash punch to immediately get out? Fair enough his meterless options aren't good save for air ground pound in Pumped Up, but what makes it so Jax gets wrecked here?

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Is the Grandmaster match really that bad? I don't play much Jax but in theory can't you just use EX-gotcha grab or EX-dash punch to immediately get out? Fair enough his meterless options aren't good save for air ground pound in Pumped Up, but what makes it so Jax gets wrecked here?

Pumped Up versus GM isn't too bad because of Ground Pound and easy midscreen damage options. Wrestler is a nightmare.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
What do you mean by using ex gotcha or ex dash punch?
His extremely big hitbox doesn't help in the corner.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
What do you mean by using ex gotcha or ex dash punch?
His extremely big hitbox doesn't help in the corner.
As in using armor to tank through clone. EX dash punch and gotcha are both safe so can't you just throw that out to get rid of the clone and stay safe in the process?

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
As in using armor to tank through clone. EX dash punch and gotcha are both safe so can't you just throw that out to get rid of the clone and stay safe in the process?
If you're in the corner, Sub's d4 plus your impact with the ice clone breaks your armor. GG may not have enough range. Crafty Subs will Neutral duck your Dash Punch for full combo punish eventually.

Midscreen, see the afformentioned dash punch spacing issues referenced above. If you are one step over the line, the armor on your dash punch will wear off before Jax and the ice clone collide. Dash Punch is still an effective tool against ice clone; you simply don't want it to be the only one in your pocket.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
GG's range is basically no existant (not that it should be long ranged) so It really doesn't help when dealing with the clone. Dash punch is a high and easily low profiled by Sub. This Mu is just really, really bad.

EmperorP

THE BRIGGZ
yes dude IAGP loses when you trade with EXice ball but. nomal ice ball loses trade with normal ground pound of which sub does not have meter everytime to use ex snowball, so everytime u see normal snow ball fight, normal ground pound is your friend especially with the two hite of Armor on gocha grab in PU subs pressure is limited which give jax a lot of advantage in this much up 22% raw damage that's big. of which if u have three bars of meter in total damage, it ads up to 66% unbreakable damage so in my experience sub vs PU it's a 5-5 matchup, good luck

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
@DDutchguy Jax lost armor on Dash Punch remember?

GM v HW - 8-2
GM v Wrestler - 8-2
GM v PU - 7-3

The likelihood of Ground Pound low profiling is extremely low, it's reactable, IAGP loses the trade against ice ball. IAGP is indeed overrated as hell. Slow and huge whiff.

And no Jax can't Gotcha Grab after a string into the Klone. The things that help in this mu is Gotch Grab and just better overall damage. The GP helps a little as long as you play smart with it cuz it goes through the Klone but you still gotta watch for the ice ball

Down 2

Noob
The dash punch nerf has hurt jax a lot for me especially when it comes to match ups like GM Sub Zero and HQT Predator. Sub zero is very bad but not unwinnable while on the other hand I completely give up when I go against HQT. Once you're hit full screen from HQT then it's ggs from there.