What's new

Jax General Discussion

thanks for your helpful answer
well you came off as a troll. No person comes into a character forum and says i just do x,y,z right? If you are serious I can reword my answer. Or better yet I'd rather let sharp or freerf245 answer, they are more knowledgeable. Keep in mind everyone plays differently though.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
bruh noooooooooooo! Can someone else please confirm this as well, im in disbelief. Cuz lmao ima have to drop my boy thats a big issue to me. They took away the tick options and the ones we do have don't even work? Lmao. Thank you so much for showing me proof bro, I really had no idea. Clearly I can no longer be in this conversation since you know of things like this.
I mean you can still be a part of the conversation lol. But yea this is what makes Barret clearly a stronger variation imo. Command grab needs to be a mid or have less recovery and it could be stronger than Barret.

Hunker Down is still really good. He has stronger pressure and a better neutral than Barret due to the bf2. He also has a large set of practical Krushing Blows that he uses to get most of his damage from. But I think Barret is a little stronger just because he can confirm most hits into high damage and corner carry.

Strange. D12 Tick is easiest of all to me compared to D1 or D3 into tick. But the trick is to input those inputs realy fast. I do it into two parts, D12 super short pause DBF1. You must input all buttons BEFORE D12 Animation ends.

ALSO keep in mind that for D12 into tick u must input DBF1 for cmd grab to come out. For D1/D3 u dont have to input down before BF1. For D12 into grab u have to do whole Dbf1 input.

I also have release check OFF and input window set to default (LONG).

Hope that helped out.
Landing it consistently now. Can’t thank you enough.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Jax in this game (like in previous games) is just okay midscreen, but he is super dangerous in the corner. The problem with Hunker Down is that his punish usually consists of f33 1+3/Db1/Bf2 and it results in a knockdown and minimal corner carry, and it forces Jax to make another read on the opponents wake up. Grinnin Barrets punish nets Jax 25-35% and 3/4 screen corner carry, which allows him to go into his corner game much easier.

Hunker Down gives him access to better pressure with the extended strings and the command grab, but it results in more knockdowns and needing to make more reads as a result. The command grab is good, but since it is a high I don't think it adds to much to his pressure game. All of his tick throws can be poked through.

Jax's pressure game in Barret is not bad enough to warrant picking Hunker Down. His pressure is, for the most part, the same, but his damage and corner carry is significantly higher. I like both the variations, but I pick Barret if I wanna win.
Yea, Hunkers punishing lacks. But he gets 3 over the top KBs. And its not the the tick solely, staggering into cg, dash up on wake up to cg. Plus I think barrets projectile adsorb is ass, the bf(2)dd has Basicly no purpose(atleast I havent found nothing game breaking). He maybe better Against zoning coz bf2 goes under high projectiles but.. I personally cant see barret being better than Hunker. Barret aint bad, dont get me wrong, love playing it alltogether. Only thing where barret is better is punishing.

NBO_7

Noob
When it comes to full screen war been doing lots of reversal dd3 and trading damge with bf3+4, not going to lie it feels good to win the zoning war with jax

So I saw dab doing this and decided to give it a try against a Kotal Kahn that was destroying me. Combining Jax’s heat missiles with his amplified dash punch is really jacked up. The missiles can hit twice and don’t expend meter, and when they try to advance the grab from the amp dash punch will get them. By the time he gets in I’m mixing him again and rinse repeat. It’s not my favorite playstyle but it’s highly effective against characters weak to zoning. Turned the match up in my favor like night and day

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Idk if this is known but Jax can D3 under Geras F212 string. This will make dealing with him a little easier. In order for this to work, you have to be crouch blocking and Geras has to do the string up close. If he does it max range F2, I don't think he can poke out.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Yea, Hunkers punishing lacks. But he gets 3 over the top KBs. And its not the the tick solely, staggering into cg, dash up on wake up to cg. Plus I think barrets projectile adsorb is ass, the bf(2)dd has Basicly no purpose(atleast I havent found nothing game breaking). He maybe better Against zoning coz bf2 goes under high projectiles but.. I personally cant see barret being better than Hunker. Barret aint bad, dont get me wrong, love playing it alltogether. Only thing where barret is better is punishing.
The Bf2 definitely isn’t as good as the one in Hunker Down, but has its uses. The low grab option is useful for a sideswitching mixup off his f21 string to get your opponent in the corner. It also adds a pseudo-mixup off f331 if you can get them to respect it. It also gives him a safe hit-confirmable launcher off his b3, which is actually really strong. It means he has a long range, safe, low launching option off of b3 bf2 mb and a long range, launching, kinda safe overhead with db4.

Osagri

The Bf2 definitely isn’t as good as the one in Hunker Down, but has its uses. The low grab option is useful for a sideswitching mixup off his f21 string to get your opponent in the corner. It also adds a pseudo-mixup off f331 if you can get them to respect it. It also gives him a safe hit-confirmable launcher off his b3, which is actually really strong. It means he has a long range, safe, low launching option off of b3 bf2 mb and a long range, launching, kinda safe overhead with db4.
B3 bf2mb safe? Rly? I remember differently. It is a commit u have to take. And I didnt say bf2 is bad, the cancel from it is bad.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
B3 bf2mb safe? Rly? I remember differently. It is a commit u have to take. And I didnt say bf2 is bad, the cancel from it is bad.
You have a really large window to confirm bf2 into the mb version. On block you go into bf2 which is -7. On hit you hitconfirm into the mb version. Hunker Down has no way to make b3 safe. The normal is pretty useless in that variation. And yea the cancel is a total gimmick.

so as a jax all i do is 22 1+3, 12 db1, f2 1+3, f33 1+3 am i doing it right ?
Those are good tools, but if someone does something other than mash buttons on wakeup, spamming those strings is not going to work. Hell, even neutral ducking beats all of those except f33.

It's better to use your tools, as an above poster said, to get the enemy into the corner

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
It's week 3 so, how are y'all liking Jax? I've been playing mostly GB, but I hear people are split on the two.

What are your guys' thoughts on the two? Is there any matchups you prefer a variation with? Interested to hear how the Jax community is doing

It's week 3 so, how are y'all liking Jax? I've been playing mostly GB, but I hear people are split on the two.

What are your guys' thoughts on the two? Is there any matchups you prefer a variation with? Interested to hear how the Jax community is doing
I play hunker down I genuinely feel I can win any matchup and it’s just a matter of me. My only issue is getting past zoning but I’m realizing if sonic fox can beat dragon as Jacqui against Cetrion than perhaps that’s a limitation on me as well

Osagri

I play more HD just coz of the massive dmg he can pull of. Against decent zoning, both variations lack, HD a bit more than GB. GBs bf2 goes under high projectiles from a great distance but hitting opponent away. Jax is great when he gets close, no matter which variations u play

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub

Been playing HD but he has great staggers, a little more mixup options than GB, has awesome corner game with restands. EB personally is prob the most annoying matchup I found myself dealing with tbh. Zoning he is meh tho he can trade projectiles at a solid rate if he has health lead. bf2 is alright and has it's uses. Kinda wish it had the pushback it previously had

6ixty9

Noob
What corner pressure are people doing. I keep hearing about it but other than staggering, what is so abusive? What makes Jax so strong compared to others

JontyHar23

Never Stop Improving
To anyone who sets krushing blows to require buttons to be held, how does one get the krushing blows to activate for the following strings from Hunker Down variation: f2\22\f33, 1+3? Even if arms are fully heated, holding 1+3 doesn't seem to get the krushing blow. Am I missing something?

Osagri

To anyone who sets krushing blows to require buttons to be held, how does one get the krushing blows to activate for the following strings from Hunker Down variation: f2\22\f33, 1+3? Even if arms are fully heated, holding 1+3 doesn't seem to get the krushing blow. Am I missing something?
U have already done it or not fully heated