What's new

Jax Character moves, beginner/basic strategy

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Just got home. I'll do it tomorrow morning. I'm a bit skeptical on the patch note so far. If they went through the trouble of buffing kano (who was not low tier) and Sheeva/Baraka, I would naturally think Jax gets a buff to, since Tom Brady has made it clear he and Baraka were not competitive.

EDIT AS OF MAY 21: NO CHANGES FOR JAX

This is just... ridiculous. I felt Kano was already a decent character. But they did nothing for JAX. I tested special move damage, throw damage, X-ray, and strings. All the same. f+3 is still not an overhead (which puzzles me to no end). Wall pound loop still intact.

Does anyone have any decent strategies for good projectile heavy noob, kano and cyrax players. These are the only characters that I am REALLY having problems with. I had a Cyrax player do short range bomb, long range bomb, then net, rinse and repeat on me. I never held block so much in my life lol. When I jumped he threw the net out, very effective. Kano air balls me everytime I jump or neutral crouch his 9% knife and noob is....well... Noob.

Once I get in its not a problem but all my specials are too slow. Also what's a good way to land the 4,1,4 and the 4,1,3 combo? I try to dash in and do it cause I don't like jumping in and I really want to add that to my game. Thanks in advance!

Dash block...

I don't know why people are so against blocking in this game.
What comes easy for some, doesn't come easy for all. I'm not against it, just ignorant to it I guess, but thanks for the answer . I'm not afraid to say I'm still learning you know...

DrDogg

Noob
What comes easy for some, doesn't come easy for all. I'm not against it, just ignorant to it I guess, but thanks for the answer . I'm not afraid to say I'm still learning you know...
It's not just you. People in general are very much against blocking in this game. I just can't figure out why.

D_Matt_Ma

You can ANTI AIR GOTCHA Kung Lao X-Ray. If you end up beating him with it, Jax will do his victory walk-back pose backwards (moonwalking into the downed opponent).

Mad_Sweeney

Kaballin'!
IMO, make Jax's ground pound the same speed as Sheeva's version or Nightwolf's lightning, and make his Gotcha Grab unblockable, but techable like Cyrax's. Those two changes alone would make Jax at least a solid mid-tier.

I'd also like to see EX dash punch lead to a juggle or at least hit mid, but I'd be happy with the above changes.
Man, I started posting like a madman when I first made this account, but I stopped paying attention after I saw how little use every character that didn't have some cheap gimmick were getting, now I hear with recent changes these characters are just aight. Furthermore, Jax is getting zero attention. Eff this game... :rant:

If dash punch hit mid I would be ecstatic.

DYNA$TY

Edenia lives!
You can ANTI AIR GOTCHA Kung Lao X-Ray. If you end up beating him with it, Jax will do his victory walk-back pose backwards (moonwalking into the downed opponent).
lol nice, also, gotcha beats all of his teleport options right? Every Lao I've played lately has gotten snatched out of the air by gotcha before the overhead, kick, or throw came out.

DrDogg

Noob
Do you have some sort of setup for this? Kung Lao's x-ray is 6 frames. The AA Gotcha is 15. That means you have to execute the AA Gotcha before Kung Lao does his x-ray. Seems kind of risky to me...

Jade101

Noob
Jax ground pound is so slow. I cant even pull the move off. Thats one if not his only way to pull his combo's off.I hope they give jax a dash cancel Mix-ups like c viper, that would help him alot!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I haven't seen any new tactics on Jax...so here goes.

-EDIT: 2f2 xx gotcha, I thought worked as a blockstring, but if it's blue blocked, gotcha whiffs.

-Obviously, Jax's multislam does 1% more than a normal throw. What's great about the multislam, though, is the 2+4 input. Even though the 2+4 slam does the exact same damage as if you left it out, the advantage is that it throws you in the opposite direction of the 2+3 input. What this allows is for Jax to throw you in either direction for the same damage, and still throw you in the corner, thus making guessing the direction of the throw an even harder guess, since normally most players will throw you into the corner.

I think Jax's biggest asset right now is the fact that multislam is probably the best normal throw in the game and using the threat of that to your advantage. NO other character can create such a guess off of a throw attempt.

Mad_Sweeney

Kaballin'!
Some notes on Jax 2.0 (Patch 1.02)

Some things I see (feel free to correct me):

--Ground Pound is faster and cancelable
--EX Dash Punch is faster and has armor, I think it travels farther too (?)
--Projectile seems faster
--Jax appears to be moving in the right direction as a character

He still needs a damage buff in my opinion, as well as a better high/low mixup. Even EX overhead elbow is poorly telegraphed. Your opponent crouch blocks all day. Then you try to throw them, and if it connects, you get a whopping 1% more damage than any other character's normal throw in the game...yay?

I know I sound ungrateful, just adding my two cents. He's a little Crimson Vipery now with that gp cancel, eh?

D_Matt_Ma

I can confirm that the enhanced dash punch has armor and travels farther
Ground pound IS NOT FASTER. I did some of my old setups and they still work.
Proejctile feels faster in terms of startup/recovery, but this isnt' confirmed on my side yet.

NO DAMAGE BUFF ON THE THROW FOLLOWUPS.

Jade101

Noob
I can confirm that the enhanced dash punch has armor and travels farther
Ground pound IS NOT FASTER. I did some of my old setups and they still work.
Proejctile feels faster in terms of startup/recovery, but this isnt' confirmed on my side yet.

NO DAMAGE BUFF ON THE THROW FOLLOWUPS.
They need to give him a damage buff, jax is to weak!