What's new

Jax buff thread (trigger warning) (scoop warning) (opprESSION sESSION)

thlityoursloat

kick kick
tl;dr Jax needs small tweaks to his frame data to compensate for the frame buffer change and actually change him into an offensive powerhouse

-1+3 or 1 ender in f33, 22 and f2 changed to -6 from -7
This move should not be punishable with 6 frame pokes. It should be a definitive turn ender and nothing more considering the reward. Yes even in HD the reward is generally insufficient, the KB is irrelevant because it's one time and is the same damage everyone else gets for a bar anyways.

-f3 is -6
why WHY is it -11? none of the other 9f mids let you get a definitive punish if you guess the stagger. It should be a turn ender or counterhit if you guess right, not a punish.

-12 and f4 are +3 up from +1.
at +1 his only frame trap is d1, for a character that's this susceptible to zoning this is a disgrace. Not to mention the frame buffer making it much easier to mash out of the 1f link. s1 by itself is an 8f jab with very poor horizontal range and his f4 is a 15f mid, so you can always still fish for a poke out of his plus frames.

-revert the KB timing on quad grab
Since when was 35% once per game unbreakable damage for 2 bars broken? For 2 bars and a KB, even at maximum heat the 45% is expensive. Jax without meter loses his only safe special, and his only way to safely close the gap. All the KB does is give him a guaranteed way to make up for his generally very below average damage anyways.

-GB bf2 and bf2 amp are faster
currently, his only combo path is off of f33, s1 and his useless 11f high. Faster bf2 amp would allow combos off of his best ranged mid. Every cancel into every bf2 stance move, including bf2 itself, has a giant pokeable gap, that's just fucking stupid.

inb4 jax 9f mid op.
Let me just make it clear that he's been nerfed more than LK has.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I agree that Jax is underpowered but his design in this game is super wack. His pressure structure is like a less rewarding Liu Kang.

I'm not opposed to characters designed to specifically be annoying. I played a lot of Fuerte, Vega, and Dan. But none of it is visually interesting to watch and it doesnt lead to anything cool. It's like if Fuerte just had Tostada Press. No RSF, no Tortilla Spin, no Guacamole Driver. Just Tostada Press. Just one annoying sequence. Your reward for hitting it? You get to try it again.

Honestly you guys should be asking for things to make this character more interesting, not stuff to buff his incredibly linear gameplan. He should've played more like Terminator and Term shouldve been a Bane/Broly-style super-armor anti-zoner.

Jax was my last main in MKX and hes very disappointing in this game. Outside of love for the character himself, I really dont see why anyone would stick to him.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I agree that Jax is underpowered but his design in this game is super wack. His pressure structure is like a less rewarding Liu Kang.

I'm not opposed to characters designed to specifically be annoying. I played a lot of Fuerte, Vega, and Dan. But none of it is visually interesting to watch and it doesnt lead to anything cool. It's like if Fuerte just had Tostada Press. No RSF, no Tortilla Spin, no Guacamole Driver. Just Tostada Press. Just one annoying sequence. Your reward for hitting it? You get to try it again.

Honestly you guys should be asking for things to make this character more interesting, not stuff to buff his incredibly linear gameplan. He should've played more like Terminator and Term shouldve been a Bane/Broly-style super-armor anti-zoner.

Jax was my last main in MKX and hes very disappointing in this game. Outside of love for the character himself, I really dont see why anyone would stick to him.
I have so many ideas in my head about how they can make his heat more interesting instead of what we have, but alas, this character is without a doubt the most unjustly hated by the community, even the guy in NRS' team who plays him (tyler), like a complete shitty scrub might I add, actually thinks the character is broken.

Yousef

Noob
The only downside to Jax is that he's weak against zoning , I played him before and he doesn't need anything
His pressure is very good
His basics and strings are way better than most of the characters I played
Yeah he does not have very long combos ,but once you're in the corner who needs combos with Jax , seriously if they buff his combos any more he'll be broken

I have so many ideas in my head about how they can make his heat more interesting instead of what we have, but alas, this character is without a doubt the most unjustly hated by the community, even the guy in NRS' team who plays him (tyler), like a complete shitty scrub might I add, actually thinks the character is broken.
Wow that might have alot to do with how weak Jax is at higher play lol. Tyler thinks just cuz he has a fast mid that Jax is broken smh that doesnt mean anything really, a rushdown character is supposed to have a fast mid. All your suggested changes are what he needs for sure.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Wow that might have alot to do with how weak Jax is at higher play lol. Tyler thinks just cuz he has a fast mid that Jax is broken smh that doesnt mean anything really, a rushdown character is supposed to have a fast mid. All your suggested changes are what he needs for sure.
Not necessarily, Johnny doesn’t have a fast mid and he’s one of the top rushdowns in the game.
The problem with Jax is that he just doesn’t stay in, if you fight anyone have decent you’ll notice how often you have to just fucking stop and block because you don’t have the frame data to keep pressing buttons. If he had more plus frames on 12/f4 and was -2 on everything he’d only be on par with variation less Jacqui lol.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
No buffs for Jax for sure. Fastest wavedash, 9 frame mid stagger, KB out of a command grab, advancing normals, anti-zoning tools along with 3 zoning tools, unblockable grab, EASY KBs, plus on 12.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Do you think that bc of online play with lag that he seems Better than he is?
Yep.
I've played against some players who honestly weren't even that good, but they were interrupting my f3 by itself almost 100% of the time. They also very rarely got tagged by f33 1+3. His staggers aren't terrible but they're super overrated.
and i'm doing all of this for what? 11%?

djynn

hsu hao main
jax is arguably the strongest character at the lowest level of play for mk11 and if the devs think he's op then uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
:DOGE

Yousef

Noob
Guys I don't know about y'all but I have a believe in mk game if a character has great staggers with a command grab then he's scary
Jax is just a mini or a less rewarding lui Kang
If he gets a slight buff he'll become lui Kang 2.0 and honestly the last thing I want in this game is another one string army like lui Kang

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Guys I don't know about y'all but I have a believe in mk game if a character has great staggers with a command grab then he's scary
Jax is just a mini or a less rewarding lui Kang
If he gets a slight buff he'll become lui Kang 2.0 and honestly the last thing I want in this game is another one string army like lui Kang
but he won't. You said it yourself, he's a shitty Kang. To be on par with Kang he'd need spammable high and low fireballs, better range, better KBs, better plus frames and a full screen flying kick.
and yes, he has better KBs. Jax has to have full heat to KB, and his 2 best KBs dissipate heat. LK just has to tick 1 box and the KB is there, imagine Jax had to hit you with 3 1+3s and his KB will automatically be loaded without heat, instead of 2-3 in a row or bust.

but he won't. You said it yourself, he's a shitty Kang. To be on par with Kang he'd need spammable high and low fireballs, better range, better KBs, better plus frames and a full screen flying kick.
and yes, he has better KBs. Jax has to have full heat to KB, and his 2 best KBs dissipate heat. LK just has to tick 1 box and the KB is there, imagine Jax had to hit you with 3 1+3s and his KB will automatically be loaded without heat, instead of 2-3 in a row or bust.
it also makes jax super predictible once his full heat you have to block overhead and tech forward. of course its a mind game cause you can back throw but still. i think comparing liu to jax is ludacris.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
it also makes jax super predictible once his full heat you have to block overhead and tech forward. of course its a mind game cause you can back throw but still. i think comparing liu to jax is ludacris.
oh and I forgot, probably top 3 oki in the game too. EX bicycle kick has oki SO good he gets a free safe jump.
meanwhile Jax's bf2 throws you full screen.

Yousef

Noob
I said less rewarding not shitty big difference
I said it before and I'm saying it now the only downside to Jax that he's weak in terms of zoning
So yeah I'm with you on this he needs to be in your face all the time ,
But while he's in your face one mistake and you have to guess again especially if you're in the corner
That's why they gave him a 9frames mid stagger
To be honest I'm Johnny cage player I was posting around how cage sucks but I released with time that cage is good , very good actually ,I just didn't know how to play him at his full potential , still don't know how to deal with certain match ups
(Cassie,Sonya ,Jade ,sendel) but my win rate is up from 35% to 68% (5000+ matches )once I knew that I have to get better
So don't ask for buffs ,learn to play your character at his fullest potential
Alot of players told me to drop cage as he's not for me ,and I should pick an easy one like subzero or scorpion ,but I didn't listen and thx to cage I play joker now and I'm becoming better and better with them
All I'm trying to say
I don't think Jax is gonna get any buffs atleast now ,so just learn your character to his fullest ,and keep one thing in mind up close he's a killing machine ,there is a reason why his kbs are limited to his heat
I've played Jax for sometime and I played Johnny
Jax is the only one other than lui that gives me hell once he closes the neutral gab between me and him

Yousef

Noob
You do realize that after his FB he's point blank in your face FULLY HEATED and you have to guess