What's new

Question - Jason Voorhees Jason's Command Grab recovery

hkriderz

Lin Kuei Scum, yellow robot enthusiast
Hi guys! I wanted to discuss with you about the main move of Unstoppable and Relentless- Tight Squeeze (dbf2). I feel like this grab is very underrated and almost swept under the rug when people mention stuff that has too little whiff recovery.

This move is a grab that does 16-19%, and depending on the type of buff and variation you have it can go up to 25 or even 30% damage. It cannot be neutral crouched, can be canceled off of several strings, serves as a fantastic wakeup. The only way out is jump, backdash or armor. And Jason has plenty of mindgames to counter those.

Now let's discuss whiff recovery. 17 frames. 17. To put into perspective, Sonya's divekick is 13 frames on whiff. Now you could say its not comparable since hers starts a combo and blah blah blah. But keep in mind, this move progressively increases in damage over time, and is literally unblockable.

I tested it against several cmd grabs in the game, just seeing the punish opportunity.

As you can see, its very unforgiving. One mistake and the jason player can d2 you out of the air and you got punished for guessing right. The NJP has to be instant.

Other cmd grabs like Commando Kano have 48 to 44 frames, Erron has 38, Jax has 40. Yet here Jason sits, with a whopping 17 frame recovery. Literally making Commando utterly useless in this game.

I feel this move is a bit stupid and should get at least 10 or 15 frames more of recovery. It's only fair so its on par with the other ones. It makes zero sense for commando and wrestler to have more than twice the recovery Jason has.

P.S. this is not a "Jason is OP NERF" thread. So all the people coming to defend this based on other Jason weaknesses should save their words. I want to see what you guys think about this. Should it get normalized or is it fine the way it is?

hkriderz

Idk where you've been in the community but this is one of the things everyone brings up about Jason lol. Honestly it's dumb. He needs shitty recovery like every other command grab character. No risk for going for an unblockable move? Stupid
Well I've seen nearly every "patch wishlist thread" and "nerfs and buffs" thread and nobody mentioned this. The only complaint about jason i heard was his d1 lol

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Well I've seen nearly every "patch wishlist thread" and "nerfs and buffs" thread and nobody mentioned this. The only complaint about jason i heard was his d1 lol
Yeah that's another one. D1 and whiff recovery on his grabs are dumb. D1 is especially stupid against tremor and sub

kantboy-2

Ripper
The problem with command grabs in this game is the absurd amount of recovery and the fact that any armored move by the opponent nullifies the range throw even if you do an armored command grab.

Try doing a MB command grab to a MB flying kick by Liu Kang or Kung Jin. Good times. :DOGE

Jason should have more recovery and the other command grabs should have less. All of them in the 28-35 frame range depending on the active frames of the command grabs. The quicker active frames, the more recovery time you should have.

I love playing Jason from time to time, but I hate playing against him with Commando Kano. :mad:

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
B1xxTight Squeeze Whiff is plus like 1 or 2 on block for some reason, trololololol. In all seriousness, I think it's this particular dirt that makes him unique. I'm a Relentless Main, and I feel he does need it, but I could see where it's borderline OP because of what Unstoppable brings to the table. B1xxTight Squeeze has a tighter execution window than B1xxSun God Choke tick-throws if I recall. Not saying execution should play a part, but it's really something to nibble on. I don't see it used often in tournaments.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
This move is a grab that does 16-19%,
...False
Literally making Commando utterly useless in this game.
Dude stop
As you can see, its very unforgiving. One mistake and the jason player can d2 you out of the air and you got punished for guessing right.
LBSH, you didn't get punished for "guessing right", you missed the command grab punish and paid for it. Every character can punish it one way or another and the command grab's recovery has already been nerfed, so that's on you. There are plenty of harder punishes in this game and many that only specific characters can land, it's not NRS's job to make everything easier for you. You also can't compare it to other characters' command grabs because b1xxdbf2 is supposed to be plus on hit. It's how Jason was designed to play. This thread reminds me of people saying Punch Walk should be unsafe on block lol

Whiff recovery on sun/moon god choke is absurd, you can jump back and then jump forward and still get a punish... and this...

Other cmd grabs like Commando Kano have 48 to 44 frames, Erron has 38, Jax has 40. Yet here Jason sits, with a whopping 17 frame recovery. Literally making Commando utterly useless in this game.

I feel this move is a bit stupid and should get at least 10 or 15 frames more of recovery. It's only fair so its on par with the other ones. It makes zero sense for commando and wrestler to have more than twice the recovery Jason has.
I hate statements like this sure the whiff recovery is stupid BUT saying it makes commando useless in game dumb thats like me saying commando makes flame fist useless because he has cmd throw and parry oh and I know everyone just recently got on thr jason hype train but that grab recovery has already been nerfed believe it or not

omooba

fear the moobs
Lol y'all are saying safe like that's all it is. Bruh if you don't punish with armor or instant air attack( which bit everyone can do) you're either getting hit my the grab or he'll anti air or even punish most backdashes

hkriderz

Of all the dump crap to complain about in the game, This isn't one of them. Jason got no mixup, His command grab is a vital pressure tool. stop trying to nerf what isn't top tier yada yada..
I just hate it when people read one thing in the OP that triggers them and don't even read that I said this was not a complaint/Jason is top 1 thread. If this patch does what it should and Jason is unchanged, unstoppable will be top 5-7, no question.

He has no mixup? His command grab is his mixup. Also he has a low that comboes, a plus overhead boot and his b3 shenanigans.

If you say don't nerf his vital pressure tool, then why is sun god in this game the way he is? He has no mixup, even less than Jason and his command grab does about the same damage. Yet it's not dumb in recovery and full combo punishable. Your argument is invalid.

I said i didn't want this thread to be Nerf Jason defend Jason shit, but I put too much faith in TYM lol

hkriderz

...False

Dude stop

LBSH, you didn't get punished for "guessing right", you missed the command grab punish and paid for it. Every character can punish it one way or another and the command grab's recovery has already been nerfed, so that's on you. There are plenty of harder punishes in this game and many that only specific characters can land, it's not NRS's job to make everything easier for you. You also can't compare it to other characters' command grabs because b1xxdbf2 is supposed to be plus on hit. It's how Jason was designed to play. This thread reminds me of people saying Punch Walk should be unsafe on block lol
Ok first of all um yes it does that amount of damage, and even more. Ex does 16-19% and any type of buff can make it up to 25+%.

Secondly, saying the comparison between commando was a mistake now. I was just saying it to further show how absurd the recovery is compared to a variation solely based on grabs. I think sun god would have been a better example.

Lastly, yah yah yah you can punish it regardless and it's your fault and git gud. This is literally why your argument is irrelevant and just in pure defense for Jason. That's like me saying, you can punish Sonyas dive kick of you absolutely know it's going to whiff. Problem with these things is you're not. Jason has so many ways to trick you and make you fall for his tick throws, and even when you make the godlike read, you have to burn a bar of precious meter, or do the most instant NJP for your reward. If you're slightly late you just jumped at Jason and u get d2'd

Why should a character have a plus unblockable and that's fine??
The risk reward is too much in Jason's favor. Literally every other grab in this game is punishable by an NJP. Why should Jason's be different

Skedar70

Noob
Isn´t Jason DBF2 throw slower than commando or sun god? Maybe that is why it has better recovery. I think it also has to do with the moves from which he and other characters can tick from. Kotals and Kanos b1 are faster than Jason b1 for example and so are their d4.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I just hate it when people read one thing in the OP that triggers them and don't even read that I said this was not a complaint/Jason is top 1 thread. If this patch does what it should and Jason is unchanged, unstoppable will be top 5-7, no question.

He has no mixup? His command grab is his mixup. Also he has a low that comboes, a plus overhead boot and his b3 shenanigans.

If you say don't nerf his vital pressure tool, then why is sun god in this game the way he is? He has no mixup, even less than Jason and his command grab does about the same damage. Yet it's not dumb in recovery and full combo punishable. Your argument is invalid.

I said i didn't want this thread to be Nerf Jason defend Jason shit, but I put too much faith in TYM lol
Yeah i read your wall of rant, You literally said that Jason is potential top 5 therefore should get "normalized" in the next patch then ask ppl not to be defensive 'cause " oh i don't mean this to be a nerf thread btw". Well, this is exactly what this is buddy, It's either you're deliberately trying to pass a nerf thread as a question one or you inadvertently contradict yourself.

Also if there is anything that is invalid it's your argument, It's already established that "X character have/haven't something so why can/can't Y character have it" is a logical fallacy that doesn't warrant a thread to discuss it. Thanks for sharing your opinion tho.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Isn´t Jason DBF2 throw slower than commando or sun god? Maybe that is why it has better recovery. I think it also has to do with the moves from which he and other characters can tick from. Kotals and Kanos b1 are faster than Jason b1 for example and so are their d4.
this, very much this, the squeeze is definitely a slow command grab, it deserves better recovery than his much faster backbreaker.