What's new

Tech Jade OTG, Corpse Hop Shenanigans and Wakeup Reversals!

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
MK9 is only dead if you let it die!

Okay so I was in practice with the beautiful Jade as I am upset with the news that she did not make the cut for Mortal Kombat X! Here are few things that I have found in training mode that might be useful to any other people who kinda/sorta want to play around with this character.

I'm still farely new to the FGC I'd say, and I'm not totally versed into everything about the mechanics of these games like other people are AND I only had the MK9 training mode to do this with so if some of the things in this video just don't make sense or isn't viable - don't be a dick about it. Nobody likes that guy ;)

Enough chatter though! Here's the video:

Here's more wakeup reversal that I just found :D

Maybe you guys can make more use of the things in this video and hopefuly it inspired you to piss about with this characters tools and flesh her out.

In this video I basically had:
  • Sweep then dash - Puts Jade on the other side
  • Grabbing the opponent straight after a corpse hop
  • Shenanigans with using moves/dash cancels to mess with people
  • Wakeup reversals/avoiding
  • OTG off of B2 in the corner
Thanks for watching/viewing!
- Scott The Scot,
Just trying to help
:)

@ANYJADEMAINSPLAYERS
@IDONTKNOWANY
@PLSHELPTAGSOMELOL

Last edited:

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Seems very very gimmicky. if the opponent presses no buttons, you're likely to just get low poked for days.

It's cool that it works in the corner, but is it really worth cornering yourself for? The reverse wakeup thing looks mad situational too. Pretty neat find, but not really that useful IMO.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
OMFG were those "reversing their wakeup direction" shenanigans in MK9 this whole time? That fucking explains why it was so rampant in Injustice. Clearly unintended.

Really hope they fixed this for mkx.

@colt

Scott The Scot

Seems very very gimmicky. if the opponent presses no buttons, you're likely to just get low poked for days.

It's cool that it works in the corner, but is it really worth cornering yourself for? The reverse wakeup thing looks mad situational too. Pretty neat find, but not really that useful IMO.
Agreed. Suppose you could just dash through then immediately press f3 + Block to get an EX glow and then they have to respect you... if they haven't already tried to push buttons or wakeups then they eat the punish.

zaf

professor
Not sure if this is intentionally in the game or not. But a lot of characters have "corpse hops" in this game.
I think pretty much anyone can do it in the corner.
Ermac can do this in the corner when the opponent is on the ground. You use f2 to go over their body.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Day 1 tech :REO
Hopping over is stance specific, I think the opponent has to fall toward the screen. And you can OTG off the B2 with more than sweep.
Wake-up reversals are new, though.

Scott The Scot

Not sure if this is intentionally in the game or not. But a lot of characters have "corpse hops" in this game.
I think pretty much anyone can do it in the corner.
Ermac can do this in the corner when the opponent is on the ground. You use f2 to go over their body.
Smoke can dash then press B2 to get put in the corner. Why on earth would NRS put this in the game intentionally? And why haven't they told or said anything about it?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Agreed. Suppose you could just dash through then immediately press f3 + Block to get an EX glow and then they have to respect you... if they haven't already tried to push buttons or wakeups then they eat the punish.
That actually sounds pretty good if it works. Damn. But seems Jade specific since it has super armor. Guess someone could try to be risky if they have a regular armored special, but that'd have to be a hella good read.... unless this setup causes their wakeup attacks to come out in the opposite direction... in which case... fuck em up.

Scott The Scot

That actually sounds pretty good if it works. Damn. But seems Jade specific since it has super armor. Guess someone could try to be risky if they have a regular armored special, but that'd have to be a hella good read.... unless this setup causes their wakeup attacks to come out in the opposite direction... in which case... fuck em up.
Optimism! I like you!

I know the EX glow comes out, but I wouldn't imagine it would cause wakeups to go the other way. But at least you can absorb the hits of the wakeup and have your way with the opponent haha.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
But getting low poked is better than like... eating a wakeup attack right? Guess it depends on the matchup. Most characters get pressure after a low poke on hit, but I feel like the reward heavily outweighs the risk. It's been awhile since I've been on the top of my mk9 game so maybe I'm forgetting something important.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Optimism! I like you!

I know the EX glow comes out, but I wouldn't imagine it would cause wakeups to go the other way. But at least you can absorb the hits of the wakeup and have your way with the opponent haha.
The only reason I suggested that the wakeups could possibly go in the other direction is because after the corpse hop... liu kang seems to be facing the wrong direction for a split second. But maybe it doesnt work that way.

Scott The Scot

The only reason I suggested that the wakeups could possibly go in the other direction is because after the corpse hop... liu kang seems to be facing the wrong direction for a split second. But maybe it doesnt work that way.
I will load MK9, try it and then report back because you have a very valid point! :)

Scott The Scot

@Chaosphere It didn't change the direction of the wakeups however I was inspired for some reasons to try something else that might reverse wakeups and by-god!! It works! It's awesome, I'll post a video in about 10 minutes!

Scott The Scot

@Chaosphere If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have found this. It seems so obvious so I don't know if someone found this already:

Watching over it, it looks weird. But I guarentee you it can be done every time if you do it correctly. I record for a minute then just randomly cut a section out, add some music ontop of it then insert some text. I don't even watch it so I know this looks like a bunch of fails, but I know it's viable! :p Also in the OP :)