What's new

Jade has run in one of her variations!!

I'm not gonna lie I wasn't a huge fan of jade before, I didn't dislike her but was more neutral. I'm loving her rush down variation, it has a command run in it!!

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
The thing I'm curious about, do she have any flexibility over the run, can you cut it short with any other command at any point like a MKX run, or does it just make her run an arbitrary amount of distance and you have to use the designated cancel to stop it?

If it's the latter, then I can only really imagine it being useful for phasing through projectiles and whiff punishing accordingly. Will need some hands on with it to really get a feel for it.

its funny that a zoning character has a run move. Why would you run, if she is going to get her ass handed to her up close?
Who said she was a zoning character? Even if she is, zoners in NRS games have still had plenty of application in terms of mobility and strings. Don't be fooled by MK9 Noob.

RothVI

d2 Spammer
The thing I'm curious about, do she have any flexibility over the run, can you cut it short with any other command at any point like a MKX run, or does it just make her run an arbitrary amount of distance and you have to use the designated cancel to stop it?

If it's the latter, then I can only really imagine it being useful for phasing through projectiles and whiff punishing accordingly. Will need some hands on with it to really get a feel for it.

Who said she was a zoning character? Even if she is, zoners in NRS games have still had plenty of application in terms of mobility and strings. Don't be fooled by MK9 Noob.
She can cancel her run with one bar of defensive meter. I don't remember if she can cancel into strings though. They only said that one of the variations they were using was zoning centric, but they also said that Jade generally wasn't a combo/high damaging character, so who knows if the run is useful or not.

MrWarMachine

Jacqui/D'Vorah 2020
I think its just another nail in the coffin for people thinking the game is only going to be super slow, and some of her other antizoning moves ensure that the game really isn't going to be zone fest 101
her projectile aura move is looking wayyyy stronk compared to MK9. it looks like there are a lot of anti-zoning options in this game

MK2D

Have you had your MK today?
its funny that a zoning character has a run move. Why would you run, if she is going to get her ass handed to her up close?
It’s probably meant more for defensive counter opportunities. Like coupled with her invincibility flash from UMK3.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I've always hated this kind of approach, When you introduce interesting core mechanics but then create characters that can ignore them.

"we're trying to tune down offense with this game and make it more footsie based, but here is this one character that still allows you to run up into your opponent's face and mash..just incase you'd miss that"

"hey we're going to make antiairs universally stronger and consistent with this build, But here is that one character that can't be antiaired and got an arsenal of op jumping attacks..just incase you can't play without jumping around like a dumbass"

I understand they want some characters to be special and unique, but taking that approach hurts the game balance, creates terrible matchups and make ppl feel like those characters have super dump advantage over the rest.

Not to say that Jade is gonna be all that. The way i see it, her run is actually gonna be a gimmick. If she sucks up close then that move actually works against her gameplan and is just meant for her to get into her footsy range more quickly.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Its kinda like, it goes against her design choice right?
She is supposed to struggle if someone gets closer to her, and she has a move to that allows her to get in that position as fast as possible. Man those peeps talking about Jade run in my scene are funny:D

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
"we're trying to tune down offense with this game and make it more footsie based, but here is this one character that still allows you to run up into your opponent's face and mash..just incase you'd miss that"

Not to say that Jade is gonna be all that. The way i see it, her run is actually gonna be a gimmick. If she sucks up close then that move actually works against her gameplan and is just meant for her to get into her footsy range more quickly.
I wouldn't be too worried man.

This is just a speculation of course, but judging by the range of Jade's pokes being super long like Skarlet's, I think just like Skarlet that they will have slow startup. Skarlet was the only character in the demo build with an 8frame D1 (average being 6-7).

This means that if Jade is being rushed down that she'd have to work her way back into her preferred range.

I think you're right in thinking that her run might literally be just for whiff punishing and running into her preferred range quicker.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
She is supposed to struggle if someone gets closer to her, and she has a move to that allows her to get in that position as fast as possible. Man those peeps talking about Jade run in my scene are funny:D

The variation it was in seems to have tools that encouraged aggressive play though.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The variation it was in seems to have tools that encouraged aggressive play though.
You mean the loadout built by 16bit.
He also says that she is designed to be weaker once you get in, so Jade plays at midrange and has some projectiles to check ppl trying to step away of that range, so her weakness is definitely up close.

Exactly. Its like they gave the run button to the one character that wouldn't benefit from it lol. Now it would make sense, if she could run the opposite direction.:)

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
You mean the loadout built by 16bit.
He also says that she is designed to be weaker once you get in, so Jade plays at midrange and has some projectiles to check ppl trying to step away of that range, so her weakness is definitely up close.
What I’m saying is if the variation that move ends up being in has sufficient tools that exchange her keep away game for rushdown stuff she should be fine.

The load out he showed for example had double forward shadow kick for pushing people into the corner(where her staff spin is a meterles launcher), and a counter.

There was also the loadout that gave her better strings and normals. If the run is in a variation with any combination of those tools she could very well be able to dominate upclose instead if you want to play her that way instead.

I just don’t think they’d slap the run into a variation where she has slower zoning stuff when we see that she also has tools for aggressive play.

So yes her core is space control, but the option to play differently seems to be there

Last edited: