What's new

Jade General Discussion Thread

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
After the changes to Kitana this morning, the chances of my maining Jade increased exponentially. To be honest, it's been hard playing characters who have D2s that aren't Jade's.... once you go staff....

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I'm kind of shocked how little gear items I've gotten from doing Jade's towers and her story mode part, very out of pocket.

So Umm, How about those tournament variations?
lol I really wonder who is using the pole vault variation.

It's really lame honestly cause I feel like Jade really needs a safe special cancel and zoning. The pole vault should really be grouped together especially if the frame data on cancels are still so whatever.

Up glaive in her other variation doesn't seem like much to talk about either.

I really hope customs become legal soon because both her tournament variations feel like they have at least one not good to semi-useless move attached and she needs strong stuff to offset for her. Pole vault, air projectile and/or Ground spark/and or the strings would be a preferred combo.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I'm kind of shocked how little gear items I've gotten from doing Jade's towers and her story mode part, very out of pocket.

lol I really wonder who is using the pole vault variation.

It's really lame honestly cause I feel like Jade really needs a safe special cancel and zoning. The pole vault should really be grouped together especially if the frame data on cancels are still so whatever.

I really hope customs become legal soon because both her tournament variations feel like they have at least one not good to semi-useless move attached and she needs strong stuff to offset for her. Pole vault, air projectile and/or Ground spark/and or the strings would be a preferred combo.
I literally went - "Ok, first variation is her zoning variation." Then I went "WTF is this?"

Pole vault, Pole vault cancel...and mk9 johnny cage kick...I don't like either of them personally. The first one is redundant (but still the one I'll use most likely due to air glave and low projectile) but the second one just....doesn't help her a ton? Did the vault cancel change since beta?

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I literally went - "Ok, first variation is her zoning variation." Then I went "WTF is this?"

Pole vault, Pole vault cancel...and mk9 johnny cage kick...I don't like either of them personally. The first one is redundant (but still the one I'll use most likely due to air glave and low projectile) but the second one just....doesn't help her a ton? Did the vault cancel change since beta?

I don't think they did, they were never particularly applicable like Kabal's were. TrulyAmiracle posted the frame data on the cancels and there weren't any plus ones listed, lots of negative tens though which is punishable/your turn is over and you have to rely on your opponent to be sleeping more so than the cancels being viable.

The problem with a lot of her additional moves is they should just be BASE. Like why am I using a slot for her traditional shadow kick or to have a couple extra strings with gigantic gaps that let you do 12 frame mids to interrupt them? lol

Only thing worth an ability slot in that variation is pole vault cause it gives her a safe on block way to end strings instead of being unnecessarily negative.

It's a weird theme with her ability slot moves. I really hope customs become a thing, I really liked her with customs, but feel limited now as the variations feel as you said either redundant or ineffective/nonsensical.

I'm suddenly having a lot of trouble with her betrayal input, the circle isn't coming out, her extra swing
did they change it?

I dunno, it feels the same to me although it does feel like the gap is slightly bigger? Maybe that's just me though.

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
I feel like the biggest problem with Jade in both standard variations is that she relies so heavily on the opponent respecting your space. It's only a matter of time before that space is infiltrated and you have to take a lot of pressure just to start your game back up again.

She might be a little too honest even with additional moves. Pole Vault is kinda inconsistent for a "sage" option, and her staff normals just sometimes get eaten by stuff you cant predict this early in the game.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

The combination of Up Glaive's ascent and descent angles is so damn specific on where it actually controls space that I often don't bother using it. You're often better off wacking a jumper with D2, Shadow Kick, or Wiggle Stick.

As for custom variations, I really do hope they come to ranked soon. Not having string extenders / better sweep in any variation is sad (especially with no wiggle stick string), and Pole Vault being stuck basically ALONE in a variation is frustrating.

All the complaining aside, Jade quickly became my favorite character to play. She was already my one character from the pre-order beta, and she continues to shine for me now. Overall I think she's pretty decent, fun to play, and suffers mostly just from the game's systems as opposed to her own design.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Mind you this is a day 0 post.
I'm honestly just paranoid at this point, but here's a few facts regardless and some opinions about them.

I'm a bit concerned about her midscreen launcher.
It's i28, it's featured as one of the flawless block lessons in the tutorial, I'm not sure who can't react to it. Doesn't seem viable.

Then there is her BF2, unsafe on block for some reason. I wouldn't mind if it was safe at like -5 and if we could amplify it to make it launch and possibly 0 on block.
In her tutorial her B2 is sold as a good move, but frankly, it's how you eat a krushing blow uppercut currently. Should be a mid.

In her zoning variation, the upglaive is useless as an AA, we need a proper teleport tbh.
In her rushdown variation, the cancels are all very negative, I don't see a practical use to them.

She does have some nice shenanigans but overall I'm somewhat sceptical.

Bi-on-iC

I'm innocent, I mean..not guilty.
Did they nerf her BF2 combo conversions in the corner? cuz I rarely missed it in the beta and now it's so hard.

Parasurama

Dragon
Did they nerf her BF2 combo conversions in the corner? cuz I rarely missed it in the beta and now it's so hard.
Yeah - I do not see why. She could launch in the corner for under 30 percent meterless - that is fair. Can anyone combo consistently in corner?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Every character has huge ass combos. Baraka, Liu, Lao, Sonya etc etc.
Jade is literally from a different, weaker game currently.

Bi-on-iC

I'm innocent, I mean..not guilty.
I'm seriously mad rn. they can take that shitty f21 launcher back but keep her corner stuff dammit..

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Her damage is rather low, but now that I have some viable conversions in the corner, I'm not bugging about it anymore, even if they're very tight windows.

The buffs to AMP glaives are rather good. The second glaive being blocked is always frame advantage, even the air one (we're talking double digits for that one). Her neutral got so much better on this buff alone. Combine that with the fact that they float an airborne opponent to where an AMP glaive is a minimal free shadow kick...yeh.

Also, did you know Jax's ground pound is classified as a projectile?????????

If she got more damage, I wouldn't be upset at all, but right now I'm not feeling down on her.

DarkSado

Noob
Mind you this is a day 0 post.
I'm honestly just paranoid at this point, but here's a few facts regardless and some opinions about them.

I'm a bit concerned about her midscreen launcher.
It's i28, it's featured as one of the flawless block lessons in the tutorial, I'm not sure who can't react to it. Doesn't seem viable.

Then there is her BF2, unsafe on block for some reason. I wouldn't mind if it was safe at like -5 and if we could amplify it to make it launch and possibly 0 on block.
In her tutorial her B2 is sold as a good move, but frankly, it's how you eat a krushing blow uppercut currently. Should be a mid.

In her zoning variation, the upglaive is useless as an AA, we need a proper teleport tbh.
In her rushdown variation, the cancels are all very negative, I don't see a practical use to them.

She does have some nice shenanigans but overall I'm somewhat sceptical.
B2 as a mid would be to broken for a move with 10 ten frame start up and a lot of range.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
B2 as a mid would be to broken for a move with 10 ten frame start up and a lot of range.
b2 is mainly a check to other advancing normals because it's so fast for a weapon normal, as well as a consistent far anti-air and whiff punisher.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Her damage is rather low, but now that I have some viable conversions in the corner, I'm not bugging about it anymore, even if they're very tight windows.

The buffs to AMP glaives are rather good. The second glaive being blocked is always frame advantage, even the air one (we're talking double digits for that one). Her neutral got so much better on this buff alone. Combine that with the fact that they float an airborne opponent to where an AMP glaive is a minimal free shadow kick...yeh.

Also, did you know Jax's ground pound is classified as a projectile?????????

If she got more damage, I wouldn't be upset at all, but right now I'm not feeling down on her.
I need your help. When's Steam/Facebook/Discord

Hot_DNA

Noob
I am at work.. But I Just learned that the standard presets are NOT tournament variations... Can someone tell me her two tournament variations????? I've been using the first loadout( the zoning one, I forget the name of it)... I have a local tournament on Saturday and I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time using a useless variations

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I am at work.. But I Just learned that the standard presets are NOT tournament variations... Can someone tell me her two tournament variations????? I've been using the first loadout( the zoning one, I forget the name of it)... I have a local tournament on Saturday and I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time using a useless variations
Their names are different in kompetitive mode for some reason, but they are identical in abilities.
The zoner has air glave, low blast and upglaive, the other one has pole vault, vault cancel and amp shadowkick

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Fully agree. Wiggle Stick is a high for a damn good reason. Let's not go overboard wanting to make Jade better when we have so little data and experience, especially not asking for buffs on things that are already quite good. There doesnt appear to be anything of Jade's that's egregiously broken or awful yet so let's wait and see.

As I said before, I think the only thing she really suffers from right now are her 2 variation choices.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
This character is very strange. She's an anti-zoning zoner but she doesn't really do anything at long range. Unlike MKX, you won't gain meter if your opponent just wants to crouch forever. Her low projectile seems mandatory for this reason. She isn't very good up close either, so it's like the only thing she really does is whiff punish and try to catch you pressing buttons with her range. F21 is too slow and unsafe.

About her abilities, there are 2 that feel mandatory and a lot that feel like garbage. Low projectile gives her a couple mixups and something to stop the opponent from just crouching every projectile. The additional/improved normals offer a great sweep and her B2 string looks promising even with the gaps. All of her other specials seem either "eh" or "why would I ever want this?". Pole vault and up/air glaive seem like the only meaningful choices.

Shadow kick being so much worse than mk9 feels bad. Where's my staff slam at? Finally, her uppercut is godlike.