What's new

Jacqui's whiffed throw can only be punished with ranged normals...

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Don't forget Kung Lao. When he throws, the great kung lao's spirit carries his hurt box to another realm.
I've actually never had this happen against him, always been able to neuch and 12 ice ball him. Might just be on a lucky streak though, who knows at this point :confused:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Everybody can neutral duck throws lol. Is that a mid command grab or something? I don’t see what’s wrong.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Everybody can neutral duck throws lol. Is that a mid command grab or something? I don’t see what’s wrong.
Her throw animation pushed me so far back, and her recovery moonwalked her so far away, I couldn't full combo punish her because the 2 in the 12~iceball whiffed.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
If you watch the frame by frame (press . to move forward 1 key frame, press , to move back) you'll see that jacqui's throw animation creates space between you as she pushes you forward with her front leg and then resets her position on recovery. I'd argue it's an intentional design of the character, as her throw range isn't even that great compared to other characters.

This is a character specific nuance and as such, you're going to have to learn a different punish for whiffed throws against jacqui.

Last edited:

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I think this is a Jacqui, Liu Kang and Kung Lao thing

They all manage to "move" you forward, or in the corner... move themselves backward.

It has cost me many a game because my natural reaction punish is a standing 1... and it'll whiff and I typically eat a nice KB d2.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
If you watch the frame by frame (press . to move forward 1 key frame, press , to move back) you'll see that jacqui's throw animation creates space between you as she pushes you forward with her front leg and then resets her position on recovery. I'd argue it's an intentional design of the character, as her throw range isn't even that great compared to other characters.

This is probably a character specific nuance and as such you're going to have to learn a different punish for whiffed throws against jacqui.
Yeah I've been watching it frame by frame, getting even more frustrated lol. She displaces me and and then recovers to where she initiated the throw from.

If that's a design choice, that kinda sucks imo. Left with 13-14 frame moves now. Also reprogramming muscle memory for punishing certain characters for whiffing throws is going to do me in :/

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Yeah I've been watching it frame by frame, getting even more frustrated lol. She displaces me and and then recovers to where she initiated the throw from.

If that's a design choice, that kinda sucks imo. Left with 13-14 frame moves now. Also reprogramming muscle memory for punishing certain characters for whiffing throws is going to do me in :/
Well if you're not even going to bother trying to adapt then don't bother complaining about it either.

elephantvision

Your Cousins, Sisters, 1st cousins favorite gamer

If I would have been blocking you KNOW I would have been grabbed. However, I make the read, get nothing for the punish. yay
Anytime I run into these weird issues it's usually the same 3.... Cassie, Jacqui and Liu. I swear to god Liu basically can't be punished when he whiffs a grab.

Gaxkang

Banned
Bad hitboxing, I suppose. It isn't helped by the online either I guess.

Punishing exists only in very certain ways in this right now...trying it other times just gets you bonked.

I do best in the game right now when it's all offense and just mixing someone up. I don't count on defensiveness doing much of squat for me.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
But yeah it's not an online thing, I was able to replicate it in practice 100%. You literally cannot punish Jacqui for whiffing a throw unless you use a ranged normal.

I also tested with Liu Kang and Lao, Liu is a toss up, it depends on how early you neuch and input your punish. Lao was a consistent punish for Sub at least, but I'm sure other characters have issues punishing it.

In order to cover all the bases, I'm just going use slower, ranged normals to punish whiffed throws universally. The recovery period after whiffing a throw is actually insanely long, much longer than I'd previously thought. You actually have enough time to punish with an 18-20 frame move rather easily.