What's new

General/Other - Jacqui Briggs Jacqui Briggs Variation Discussion

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Hey guys, so I'm starting this new thread so we can keep combo discussion itself in the other.

I've been using high tech so far and found some pretty good stuff.

Just to go over the differences in this variation:

- She can charge her fists 2 levels with db2 that gives her increased hit+chip damage and alters some properties on certain moves. You can ex it to instantly reach level 2.
- She can do a short pulse burst with df2 that can charge up to 3 levels. It is dash cancellable, and each level gives you more damage and has slightly increased range, growing stronger depending on the level of your fist charge. You can ex it to instantly get the level 3 version.
- On her level 2 fist charge, f2u22+4 turns into a bounce that's easily comboable with a run midscreen. On level one, it gives a small bounce that's only comboable in the corner.
- On both of her charge levels, her air ground pound (dd4) becomes unblockable. Gives 2% more on level 2. However, it has decreased range from the normal one.

What I've found so far (will update this as I find more):

From what I can tell, this variation is very dependent on you being able to get your fists charged. Her damage and combo potential is relatively low without it compared to the other variations. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem easy to set it up safely without sacrificing damage. Against most characters, you'll be able to get it after a bf1 as they'll be too far away to do anything. This is good because certain things cannot be run combo'd with bf2 (as far as we can tell), like her b2 overhead, so you have to end with bf1 anyway. However, this is susceptible to teleports. In that case, the only ways to do it safely is to sacrifice damage from what I see so far. It has a good bit of startup, and none of her strings have enough cancel advantage to give it to you for free on block. You'll have to hit confirm a string like f12 into it. F3 and f4 also let you safely charge, but neither of those ever seem worth doing since you can cancel them into low/overhead. Still haven't tested everything though, there might be a better way. Also worth noting, she still keeps her charge even if she gets hit out of recovery as long as she's touched her fists together.

Her pulse burst might be really good for keeping people out. I need more experience in actual matches to figure out how good it really is for that. It doesn't have great range without her fists charged, but it's pretty fast, gives you +3 block advantage and has pretty good pushback on block. It's really good in block pressure, especially with fist charge levels. At level 2, 1212~df2 does a ton of chip damage and keeps you at advantage, might be really good in the corner. Also gives good damage on hit. Most corner combos I've found make it better to end with that than bf4, where you can also charge it to stuff a wakeup or continue pressure on block. As far as dash cancelling in pressure, I haven't been able to find anything yet. Dashing by itself doesn't seem to do much, I'm going to see if short run cancels might work for it but I'm not sure.

Her f2u22+4 is great both midscreen and in the corner when you can juggle it. You can get a good amount of damage doing that after a bf2 in corner juggles, and midscreen it's much easier to run combo from than bf2.

The air gp being unblockable with charges might be really strong. Doing a jp or jk into it is safe and only interruptable by fast armor moves. The only other way to get out of it is with a backdash, otherwise the gp is guaranteed. If they read it and try either of those, you can do the fakeout version and block+punish. Against backdashes you can blow them up with bf1, but I need to test some more to see if I you truly do it on reaction or just a read. The good thing is gp and the fakeout gp both have the same startup animations, so you cannot react
to which one you're doing.

So far, I think this variation could be pretty good. It all depends on how much you'll be able to power up your fists. But this is only my second day with the game, so time will tell and a lot more testing is needed. It definitely has my interest though.

@SomeCubanGuy @IKizzLE @JustinXavier21

JustinXavier21

The rose that grew from concrete
Hey guys, so I'm starting this new thread so we can keep combo discussion itself in the other.

I've been using high tech so far and found some pretty good stuff.

Just to go over the differences in this variation:

- She can charge her fists 2 levels with db2 that gives her increased hit+chip damage and alters some properties on certain moves. You can ex it to instantly reach level 2.
- She can do a short pulse burst with df2 that can charge up to 3 levels. It is dash cancellable, and each level gives you more damage and has slightly increased range, growing stronger depending on the level of your fist charge. You can ex it to instantly get the level 3 version.
- On her level 2 fist charge, f2u22+4 turns into a bounce that's easily comboable with a run midscreen. On level one, it gives a small bounce that's only comboable in the corner.
- On both of her charge levels, her air ground pound (dd4) becomes unblockable. Gives 2% more on level 2. However, it has decreased range from the normal one.

What I've found so far (will update this as I find more):

From what I can tell, this variation is very dependent on you being able to get your fists charged. Her damage and combo potential is relatively low without it compared to the other variations. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem easy to set it up safely without sacrificing damage. Against most characters, you'll be able to get it after a bf1 as they'll be too far away to do anything. This is good because certain things cannot be run combo'd with bf2 (as far as we can tell), like her b2 overhead, so you have to end with bf1 anyway. However, this is susceptible to teleports. In that case, the only ways to do it safely is to sacrifice damage from what I see so far. It has a good bit of startup, and none of her strings have enough cancel advantage to give it to you for free on block. You'll have to hit confirm a string like f12 into it. F3 and f4 also let you safely charge, but neither of those ever seem worth doing since you can cancel them into low/overhead. Still haven't tested everything though, there might be a better way. Also worth noting, she still keeps her charge even if she gets hit out of recovery as long as she's touched her fists together.

Her pulse burst might be really good for keeping people out. I need more experience in actual matches to figure out how good it really is for that. It doesn't have great range without her fists charged, but it's pretty fast, gives you +3 block advantage and has pretty good pushback on block. It's really good in block pressure, especially with fist charge levels. At level 2, 1212~df2 does a ton of chip damage and keeps you at advantage, might be really good in the corner. Also gives good damage on hit. Most corner combos I've found make it better to end with that than bf4, where you can also charge it to stuff a wakeup or continue pressure on block. As far as dash cancelling in pressure, I haven't been able to find anything yet. Dashing by itself doesn't seem to do much, I'm going to see if short run cancels might work for it but I'm not sure.

Her f2u22+4 is great both midscreen and in the corner when you can juggle it. You can get a good amount of damage doing that after a bf2 in corner juggles, and midscreen it's much easier to run combo from than bf2.

The air gp being unblockable with charges might be really strong. Doing a jp or jk into it is safe and only interruptable by fast armor moves. The only other way to get out of it is with a backdash, otherwise the gp is guaranteed. If they read it and try either of those, you can do the fakeout version and block+punish. Against backdashes you can blow them up with bf1, but I need to test some more to see if I you truly do it on reaction or just a read. The good thing is gp and the fakeout gp both have the same startup animations, so you cannot react
to which one you're doing.

So far, I think this variation could be pretty good. It all depends on how much you'll be able to power up your fists. But this is only my second day with the game, so time will tell and a lot more testing is needed. It definitely has my interest though.

@SomeCubanGuy @IKizzLE @JustinXavier21
Amazing - massive thanks for putting that together! I feel that shotgun is strongest with Hi Tech second but it will take a lot of time to get used to.

Reacting to backdashes with BF1 does work but its range dependent.

Also, you can absorb projectiles with DF2 by RELEASING it on reaction the projectile - initially I thought it was useless, but it means you don't have to react as much - crucial because DB1 isn't the fastest thing in the world...

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Amazing - massive thanks for putting that together! I feel that shotgun is strongest with Hi Tech second but it will take a lot of time to get used to.

Reacting to backdashes with BF1 does work but its range dependent.

Also, you can absorb projectiles with DF2 by RELEASING it on reaction the projectile - initially I thought it was useless, but it means you don't have to react as much - crucial because DB1 isn't the fastest thing in the world...
Interesting, I haven't noticed that yet. Thanks

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Also, I've found some run cancel stuff now.

Run cancelling off something like 1212~df2 can give a pretty good mixup. You can continue pressure on block with something like another 1212 or go into something like a mb bf2 if they try to do something. Unfortunately susceptible to quick multihits, but could be good especially in some matchups.

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Also, I've found some run cancel stuff now.

Run cancelling off something like 1212~df2 can give a pretty good mixup. You can continue pressure on block with something like another 1212 or go into something like a mb bf2 if they try to do something. Unfortunately susceptible to quick multihits, but could be good especially in some matchups.
Well doing a string like 1212~df2, the df2 whiffs sometimes on Mileena. So you can just do 121~df2 is a bit more consistent

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I'm really feeling high tech so far. Her df2 is so good for pressure, and with her walk speed when you corner somebody and make them block df2 you can walk back and whiff punish any counter pokes they try/anti air them. Or just go for overhead/low mixups.

lslick

I'm really feeling high tech so far. Her df2 is so good for pressure, and with her walk speed when you corner somebody and make them block df2 you can walk back and whiff punish any counter pokes they try/anti air them. Or just go for overhead/low mixups.
Combo damage seems to be the one thing holding her back in high tech variation midscreen. Im sure that will change in the future though :D

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Combo damage seems to be the one thing holding her back in high tech variation midscreen. Im sure that will change in the future though :D
Yeah mid screen I either take the corner carry I can get, or just end it early to power up/run up for better oki. I'm sure better midscreen combos will pop up but that's been my plan for now.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I think full auto is going to be the simplest to figure out. I wanna work backwards to that though haha. Gonna work on shotgun tomorrow

lslick

Low rockets on oki in the corner is amazing
Are you referring to ex low rockets? They never hit the opponent in the corner from my experience. But I haven't really messed with it...I have been working with shotgun....I still prefer High Tech at the moment

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
You sure do love characters with chargeable "traits" and inputs like this one above :p

On topic though, HT Jacqui doesn't seem to me that she's as gimmicky as I've thought initially. Looking forward to your stuff with her.

Edit: By the way, wouldn't it be better to make this thread HT-specific?

Last edited:

lslick

I mentioned this in the general discussion thread but I don't think anyone paid any mind to it...But in High Tech and Lv1 or 2 charge, you can get a fake crossup in the corner with DD4

In Full Auto, you can go for low missile resets where you can do a string like 1212~low rocket...And the opponent has to block low if they are hit with any part of that string. If they don't then they will be popped in the air where you can run combo.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
Can someone fill me in how the shotgun variation got nerfed?

Got to play MKX today, I really like Jacqui. Mostly used the shotgun variation, I like the mixups with low/overhead and low shotty.

lslick

Well that's certainly a nerf then. :DOGE
How did the infinite work? Something with the low shotgun I'm guessing.
I believe it was 11~horizontal shotgun, 11~horizontal shotgun over and over and over...or it might have been 12~shotgun repeat
Only in the corner