What's new

Jacqui Briggs - Second Chance for MK11

Arkane Slim

I did a lot but I never hated...
I've read the reviews on Jacqui being revealed. I know a lot of people feel she is a waste of a slot. Rather than telling them to deal with it, I think you have to look at it from a different perspective. A redesign for Jacqui was what we needed, we just don't understand it yet.

Her MKX design was (in my opinion) bad through and through. The costume was basic, Her story (outside of the comics) was bland. However, the biggest ill-effect on Jacqui was her move-set. Her move-set was very amateur-ish in a game where NRS is known for cool looking over-the-top moves. Jacqui seemed to be the result of a character created just before a deadline.

To be frank, her kickboxing move-set was very uninteresting. A dashing uppercut (Bionic Dash)? A built-in four hit combo? These moves seemed like a move-set for a Mortal Kombat 3 character. I don't even want to get into the unnecessarily hard to execute stanky leg. Her T-Rex arms topped what appeared to be a bad design. Her variations were no better in the "unique" department. It was really hard to vouch for this character and I lost interest in the game because of it. .Sure, they patched her up, but she was irredeemable at that point.

So when I saw her revealed in the story trailer, I was happy because it was a chance for NRS to get the character right this time around. A new design and she has a much better skin tone to represent the melanoid nation ;-) I hope MK11 doesn't leech off of the failed MKX move-set of the character. Also, I hope they do more to make her have a compelling story because she was the least interesting of the four kombat kids.

I'll leave with these parting words, let us give Jacqui a second chance. I truly believe NRS did a better job by her visual design alone.

I can't wait for the Briggs family reveal.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I always thought having Jacquie as a playable character in MKX was a mistake. She should have been the "girl on the chair" npc for the Kombat Kids, help the other kids, save their asses once or twice in the cutscenes, hint at her posible inclusion in a few endings. And then let her make her playable debut in MK11.

I know, I know, this kind of things are easy to say in retrospective, but I can't help to think this is the way NRS should've handled her. People would be excited about her had this been the case.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
not judging harsh Jacqui before seeing what NRS did to her this time, but at same time, being a bit realist on her scenario situation on MK11 .... if they make her gameplay better than MKX, ok , it's a rebirth chance to her, otherwise, she will become another boring character as Kobra, Hsu Hao and others B-category chars MK universe have .... I guess MK community will not forgive this character if she ends being bland and empty this time .... :oops:

anyway, she is the character I'm most curious to see, exaclty to check out if NRS improved her nor not ! :rolleyes:

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
Every character they've revealed so far has had a personality for days. It's something they've pointed out about every stream. It's evident. Kano, Johnny, Cassie, Jade, and Skarlet's personalities are all really great.

I mean, Tyler Lansdown said he was excited for people to see a character they completely revamped. Everyone assumed it was Kano, but he would've specified if it was Kano when he said it and during the Kano stream.

I have a feeling it's either Jacqui or Frost. (if Frost is android-esque like everyone's thinking.)

I hope her moveset is more flashy though and I'm hype to see her skins.

I also hope Danielle Nicolet is voicing her again because I need to hear her yell "Say my name, bitch!" all the time forever.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I think Jackie got a lot of hate because of her guns variation. Kind of like Deadshot. Zoning is always strong when a game is first released so zoners like Jackie and Deadshot get massive hate.. particularly from scrubs that can't play. Both characters got worked out and everyone realized they were pretty weak and the guns variation wasn't her strongest. Still regardless, 1st impressions are a real thing and they last. No one liked seeing her in competition or playing her online and that stink has stayed with her.

My point is she wasn't that bad really. In fact I saw a lot of hype games in competition with her.

I particularly liked the power fist variation she had, you know the ones were she slammed her fists together and powered up. I hope her new style in MKx is centered around that. We know that zoning is really reduced in MK11 so I doubt it will be the same thing as last time and I suspect the Deadshot / Jackie reactions from the scrubs and casuals was a message received.

I have high hopes for her. The render looks awesome.. so it will remain to be seen how well it does from there. The biggest problem I see is her personality. They really need to put some work in developing her own unique voice. MK has such strong characters, either through personality or detailed lore, or both. Jackie needs some kind of major overhaul in the way she interacts with other characters and stuff imo.

She is as worthy of a 2nd chance as any character. I'm very keen to see how she goes, but would rather a netherealm character be showcased next. Maybe D'Vorah or one of the Ninjas... I still hope Noob is coming for example.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I just hope she's more of an agile grappler and utilizes her tech more aggressively in that vain or heck, I'll take a chip heavy offensive character. Hopefully there isn't much shooting in the way of her design because that will just feed the fuel for dismissing her or considering her as a waste.

I really like her redesign all around from her hair to her suit and her gauntlets look really cool.

It's hard not to root for her given her historical debut, but I just hope her play style is just pure fire so there can be no excuses.

Burn2019

Noob
I've read the reviews on Jacqui being revealed. I know a lot of people feel she is a waste of a slot. Rather than telling them to deal with it, I think you have to look at it from a different perspective. A redesign for Jacqui was what we needed, we just don't understand it yet.

Her MKX design was (in my opinion) bad through and through. The costume was basic, Her story (outside of the comics) was bland. However, the biggest ill-effect on Jacqui was her move-set. Her move-set was very amateur-ish in a game where NRS is known for cool looking over-the-top moves. Jacqui seemed to be the result of a character created just before a deadline.

To be frank, her kickboxing move-set was very uninteresting. A dashing uppercut (Bionic Dash)? A built-in four hit combo? These moves seemed like a move-set for a Mortal Kombat 3 character. I don't even want to get into the unnecessarily hard to execute stanky leg. Her T-Rex arms topped what appeared to be a bad design. Her variations were no better in the "unique" department. It was really hard to vouch for this character and I lost interest in the game because of it. .Sure, they patched her up, but she was irredeemable at that point.

So when I saw her revealed in the story trailer, I was happy because it was a chance for NRS to get the character right this time around. A new design and she has a much better skin tone to represent the melanoid nation ;-) I hope MK11 doesn't leech off of the failed MKX move-set of the character. Also, I hope they do more to make her have a compelling story because she was the least interesting of the four kombat kids.

I'll leave with these parting words, let us give Jacqui a second chance. I truly believe NRS did a better job by her visual design alone.

I can't wait for the Briggs family reveal.
You “lost interest” in the entire game as a result of one bland character and how mediocre they were to play... and now you “can’t wait” to see more of this one character because of a render?

Seems very incongruent to me.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I agreed with your words, almost wanted to give you a like for it, until I've read this: I can't wait for the Briggs family reveal.

The worst thing in all of this, is that Jax is in again together with his daughter, Jacqui could benefit from Jax death in my opinion, and Jax fans aren't really hateful people, they wouldn't hate on Jacqui for taking his spot.

I think nrs is going to surprise us. Every other rework has been great. Really hope shes revealed this week
Not true, Cassie’s new design sucks. No reason for her to have a drone and she uses her guns to much. Same problem is gonna happen to Jacqui. You can already tell from the story trailer. This game is very gun happy.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Not true, Cassie’s new design sucks. No reason for her to have a drone and she uses her guns to much. Same problem is gonna happen to Jacqui. You can already tell from the story trailer. This game is very gun happy.
It's a cinematic trailer, wait for them to reveal her gameplay. And the drone for Cassie is based on the variation you create, so you can choose to have it or not. I just don't buy complaints about a character you're not going to play anyways, let people who enjoy those characters enjoy them, and play the ones you like.

Last edited:

Skedar70

Noob
I believe the hate on jacqui has nothing to do with how she plays. It doesn't matter if she is good or bad or what moves she has. The problem with jacqui is that she is ordinary. You have fire ninjas, ice ninjas, thunder gods, shaoling monks(on uses a cool hat as a weapon), cyborgs, soldiers with metal arms, mosters with four arms etc. Then you have jacqui an ordinary human with no unique feature.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I liked Jacqui in the story and her moveset. Hope they leave her mostly the same, or make her even more business-like and military oriented. That's right. Go play Scorpion if you don't like it. Big Jacqui was too busy destroying Kotal Fraud in canon story to drink your tears, but she's drinking them by the gallon now.

Yeah IDK what this dude is talking about she was fun as hell and felt satisfying to play, especially after her buffs going into XL.

She was one of the few characters in the game that had an actual execution barrier for optimal play. She also wasn’t very straight forward to play, so I feel like a lot of people didn’t actually know how to use her.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Yeah IDK what this dude is taking about she was fun as hell and felt satisfying to play, especially after her buffs going into XL.

She was one of the few characters in the game that had an actual execution barrier for optimal play.
Agreed. I rewatched the MKX story last week to get refreshed before MK11, and I really see how unwarranted the hate is. Jacqui was hella cool in the story and had her place, even moreso than a couple of other Kombat Kids, or Kotal and Erron getting their ass kicked by everyone. Just blind hate.

The gameplay? All the talk about execution but Jacqui was one of the most satisfying to play. The Stanky Leg mastering, the air cancels mid combo, gauntlet cancels, etc, and the combos were some of the most hype to see visually. More blind hate.

Give me exactly the same Jacqui without the T-Rex arms and I'm set. There will be 25-35 characters for others to pick from if they don't wanna play her so I wish they would stay out of our character thread. Apparently they have a hard on for her though since the haters talk about her more than we do.

Queen Sindel

Divine Enlightenment
There is just one step from sincere hatred to love. Jaquie is one of the first characters I am going to try after release. I genuinely hope her new design will break my belief she is a waste of slot. Let see how NRS made her. I wonder, what can make this boring character appealing?

But if Jaquie fails again, there is nothing will change my mind about this character: she is a waste of space.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
My biggest gripe with the character was that she didn't look interesting enough to me. It had nothing to do with her race, although some people keep persisting with this idea that you must be some kind of undercover racist to be critiquing the black female in the game.

Her new look is definitely an improvement. Now we just have to wait to see her actual gameplay. Some of the concept art for her is a way better look to me. 1, 3, 4, 5 would be dope in my opinion.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
My biggest gripe with the character was that she didn't look interesting enough to me. It had nothing to do with her race, although some people keep persisting with this idea that you must be some kind of undercover racist to be critiquing the black female in the game.

Her new look is definitely an improvement. Now we just have to wait to see her actual gameplay. Some of the concept art for her is a way better look to me. 1, 3, 4, 5 would be dope in my opinion.

3 and 5 would look AMAZING.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.

That concept art is definitely dope. They've moved so far away from it in MK11s design that I wouldn't mind seeing this character concept as a new character. I get more Edenian/outworld warrior feeling from these designs than Earthrealm.