What's new

Question I've some problems with Kenshi after ~24 hrs playing him. Need help

Leito360

Noob
First of all, my first character in-game was Cage, it took me a while to knew him, etc. But also, it took me that time because I was learning how the game worked... wake-ups, reaction times, frame traps, etc.

One of the things I liked the most of Cage was that he's a character where you can put the pressure on the opponent... basically, I'm next to my opponent during all the match, pressuring him and causing chip damage.

For my second char, I wanted an hybrid, someone who can zone and can manage to fight in close quarters, so I thought about Kenshi. Besides, I like how stylish the character is.

At first, I liked his combos and his extremely open windows for connect attacks, accustomed to JC close timings, moving to Kenshi was like everything was in slow-mo, so it was awesome.

After some training hours, where I learn the basics, I did my first playthrough, on Expert, as always, it took me like 25' to beat and also they kicked the shit out of me. And was normal, like with every new kombatant.

Now, I have nearly 24 hs. playing him... it tooks me like ~12 min on average to beat an expert ladder. I'd like to cut those 2 extra mins, but for now 'it's ok'.
My main problem is how often I get punished with Kenshi.... I lost 1 round (at least) during the ladder... Sheeva often beats me in a match, also Sindel and Kruger gives me some trouble to... (yeah, you read correctly, SHEEVA beats me... one of the lamest and slowest chars of the game... with Cage I beat Sheeva or Kruger in less than 30") not counting the Kenshi's nemesis, Noob & Raiden.

And this took me to my first problem... I can't find where Kenshi's pressure game is. I simply can't.
He's a char (reading some guides and basics) which I must create as much distance as possible and then get my free TKS (Even some people says never do Full Screen TKS), and then start to throw some specials against my opponent.
The worst part of this is, for example if Sheeva does an Ex-Stomp as wake-up, my FS TKS doesn't gets through it, also, I think it doesn't do any kind of damage, Tele-Flurry doesn't cut it as well.
So... where is the pressure game with this character? If I can't be near my opponent, I can't pressure him/her just throwing specials... specially (dah) when the telekinetic attacks can be dashed through or jumped. That's where other part of my problem is... they start jumping my telekinetic attacks and I soon find them right next to me. Even throwing RK at the last moment, they jump it and I get punish with a djk or a jp.

Another thing some people suggested was to transition from D+4 ~ Close TKS to put some pressure... I'm having a hard time getting this consistently... can anyone give me a tip or something to get it right?? (I play with an Xbox 360 Controller).

So far is everything I can remember if I have some issues I'll post them... but for now, I'd like to get some help to get this character right... I know it's a good char, I'm just yet to find that sweet spot where I kick some asses through-out the ladder on expert without losing even a round, and from there, start to prepare him for little local tournaments, etc. Just like with my previous kombatant.

Thanks.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Kenshi isn't a pressure character. Sorry to say. He's a keep away. The only pressure you have is f22b2, then you get a free bf2 off it. Your game is to run away the whole time. He has some options of you get your opponent cornered but if you're playing him right that shouldn't really happen. Sheeva has beaten kenshi in tournament so don't feel too bad about that. That's how I see him anyway but I'd ask @Under_The_Mayo or @Pig Of The Hut

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Kenshi is primarily a keep away character yeah, but u can also play him as this sort of advancing wall as well, especially in certain MU's where staying full screen is not a good idea. His footsies are pretty damn good due to the range of his normals and his bf2.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
@Leito360

If you want to use Kenshi's "pressure", its very stick and move, and based on stagger stings. But you have to realize that his mid-hitting and low-hitting attacks aren't lightening fast like Cage. You'll have to use attacks like 2, 2 1, and EX SC plus frames. Here's a couple videos.