What's new

Ive been training Calisthenics almost everday since 1 year

Ive been training Calisthenics almost everday since 1 year in order to get better. Although my age is 37 right now I always keep going and try my best in order to improve muscle ups, frontlever and human flag.

I dont do any diet, but I do lots of other sports like breakdance & basketball besides calisthenics. Usually when I wake up in the morning I go out into the park and do
20 jump squats
20 burpees
short break
10 pullups, explosive pullups help alot in order to learn muscle ups
short break
5 muscle ups
25 pushups
5 minute break
and then I keep repeating this process 4-5 times
after this I keep running for 1 hour with an average speed. Later of the day I usually go to the basketball park and play with some friends, the basketball park in my city has also a calisthenics park nearby, so I can keep training. On rainy days I always watch Jordan Yeoh Fitness workouts on youtube and do these, he has some pretty good stuff to burn fat and stay fit. I also got my own gym tower at home for rainy days.

Calisthenics does enhance and develop muscular and aerobic endurance. Not only that, but it is more effective at developing lower-body coordination. Calisthenics does use exercises that use the resistance of your own body to build strength, increase flexibility and burn fat in order to improve physical fitness.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Congrats dude! I mostly weight train but I do pull ups, weighted chins, and weighted dips in my routine too. Calisthenics are like a free fat test, even if you're strong, if you can't do calisthenics, yoh probably have a lot of shit weight.

Start small. Use bands to help you, start with 5 for a few weeks, work your way up to not using a band, then keep upping your reps every couple weeks.
Ah man, I do two pullups, can't get up for the third, then I jump at the bar and try to stabilize myself before slowly doing the negative. Doing that shit for 7 reps in 3 sets with 5 minutes rest between sets.
Then I do some horizontal pulls, weighted squats (worked myself up to 60 kg, somehow the only thing I do where I can see progress in the numbers going up every couple weeks), leg raises and dips. During the resting periods I'm stretching and play Pokemon Go.

After that shit I'm absolutely dead and sore for 3-5 days, then I repeat. Like I said it's kinda frustrating that I don't feel any big progression, but at least I went from 0 pullups to 2 and from 30kg squats to 60kg.

I'm also old af at 39 and pretty fat at 90kg and got multiple herniated discs, so maybe that's another problem.

Last edited:
Ah man, I do two pullups, can't get up for the third, then I jump at the bar and try to stabilize myself before slowly doing the negative. Doing that shit for 7 reps in 3 sets with 5 minutes rest between sets.
Then I do some horizontal pulls, weighted squats (worked myself up to 60 kg, somehow the only thing I do where I can see progress in the numbers going up every couple weeks), leg raises and dips. During the resting periods I'm stretching and play Pokemon Go.

After that shit I'm absolutely dead and sore for 3-5 days, then I repeat. Like I said it's kinda frustrating that I don't feel any big progression, but at least I went from 0 pullups to 2 and from 30kg squats to 60kg.

I'm also old af at 39 and pretty fat at 90kg and got multiple herniated discs, so maybe that's another problem.
keep at it, everyone starts somewhere

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
That park is pretty great looking!

@NaughtySenpai Don't beat yourself up about pullups, especially as you continue to lose weight and get stronger, pull ups will be even easier, just be in a slight calorie deficit and keep at it. Most people at 90kg/39 yrs old or even half that age can't do ONE pull up.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I've been trying to lose weight I gained in quarantine for almost a month now. Lost maybe 4 lbs, but I've mostly been training to run 5k. Which means training to run for any extended time at all, and I've got congenital lung problems from a CDH. But over the past 3.5 weeks, I've gone from barely being able to run for 1 minute to being able to run for 5 minutes. I'm actually pretty excited for the end of the week, because at 2 weeks in, I timed myself running a mile, and I can go way farther in one go now.

I started out running on one day then doing a calisthenics circuit the next day. Now I end up running at least a bit almost every day because I just head out to kill time when I'm bored. I wish I still had the leg strength from when I was really fat. I used to weigh 457 10 years ago, but losing the weight lost a lot of that strength too.

A problem I've run into is my arms have been very weak my whole life, so I feel like I'm starting from behind there. And I don't own any free weights. Need to invest in some. Also my stomach is kinda held together with mesh from hernia surgeries, so any time I work on my core I worry.

I've got plenty of reasons not to do this like injuries and lung problems, but well, I want to. So I'm doing it, and it's been fun so far.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I've been trying to lose weight I gained in quarantine for almost a month now. Lost maybe 4 lbs, but I've mostly been training to run 5k. Which means training to run for any extended time at all, and I've got congenital lung problems from a CDH. But over the past 3.5 weeks, I've gone from barely being able to run for 1 minute to being able to run for 5 minutes. I'm actually pretty excited for the end of the week, because at 2 weeks in, I timed myself running a mile, and I can go way farther in one go now.

I started out running on one day then doing a calisthenics circuit the next day. Now I end up running at least a bit almost every day because I just head out to kill time when I'm bored. I wish I still had the leg strength from when I was really fat. I used to weigh 457 10 years ago, but losing the weight lost a lot of that strength too.

A problem I've run into is my arms have been very weak my whole life, so I feel like I'm starting from behind there. And I don't own any free weights. Need to invest in some. Also my stomach is kinda held together with mesh from hernia surgeries, so any time I work on my core I worry.

I've got plenty of reasons not to do this like injuries and lung problems, but well, I want to. So I'm doing it, and it's been fun so far.
If you have access to a gym, I would start there and focus on getting stronger in compound movements. Bench press, squat, deadlift, pull ups, rows, and overhead shoulder press. It'll make it easier to lose weight and keep it off if you build more lean mass. You'll not only be passively burning calories just by having more muscle mass, but you'll be able to actually eat more calories without gaining as much weight because your maintenance calories increase with your muscle mass. As for your stomach, wear a weight lifting belt to keep your core tight, focus on form, start light, and progressively overload.

Second Saint

If you have access to a gym, I would start there and focus on getting stronger in compound movements. Bench press, squat, deadlift, pull ups, rows, and overhead shoulder press. It'll make it easier to lose weight and keep it off if you build more lean mass. You'll not only be passively burning calories just by having more muscle mass, but you'll be able to actually eat more calories without gaining as much weight because your maintenance calories increase with your muscle mass. As for your stomach, wear a weight lifting belt to keep your core tight, focus on form, start light, and progressively overload.
I don't have access to a gym, but I can afford a set of weights and a bench. I've actually learned the basics of body building over the years because a friend of mine got into it heavily, so I just picked it up since it was all he'd talk about. Which is why I'm really seeing the limits of the calisthenic exercises I know. They don't really work the back much at all, or my biceps, though I'm sure there's some kind of pushup position for that. I'm thinking a couple of dumb bells would give me a lot more options.

I don't know that a weight lifting belt would 100% solve my problem, but it sounds like it would help, and I hadn't thought about it at all. Thanks a lot.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don't have access to a gym, but I can afford a set of weights and a bench. I've actually learned the basics of body building over the years because a friend of mine got into it heavily, so I just picked it up since it was all he'd talk about. Which is why I'm really seeing the limits of the calisthenic exercises I know. They don't really work the back much at all, or my biceps, though I'm sure there's some kind of pushup position for that. I'm thinking a couple of dumb bells would give me a lot more options.

I don't know that a weight lifting belt would 100% solve my problem, but it sounds like it would help, and I hadn't thought about it at all. Thanks a lot.
Pull ups will actually build your lats and inverted rows will get your mid traps pretty good, chin ups are good for biceps too but obviously not as good as weights. I actually like pull ups more than the lat pulldown, but the barbell is better for rows and weights are better for anything else imo. And yeah dude if you can afford weights, go for it.

Second Saint

Pull ups will actually build your lats and inverted rows will get your mid traps pretty good, chin ups are good for biceps too but obviously not as good as weights. I actually like pull ups more than the lat pulldown, but the barbell is better for rows and weights are better for anything else imo. And yeah dude if you can afford weights, go for it.
The problem is I can't even really hang and slow down my descent when I try to do pull ups yet, so I can't do those with any real benefit. Do one god damn pull up is actually goal 1a next to run a mile without walking. So yeah, I need to some weights.