What's new

Is using one character considered 'cheap'?

l SuGaR l said:
Well if that isn't the the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.
...Snip... <- Trash talking is fine, but what you said is out of line.

you still refuse to play me in this or Halo 3.

Either man up or STFU.

Derek

Noob
Everytime I have played you in UMK3 you lost and quit. You talk big game but don't do shit. Stop quitting and running your mouth and I'll consider it.

There's really nothing wrong with picking the same character over and over again. Online it doesn't happen much. Especially the competitive players; they tend to pick someone new every round. You have to understand that being good at MK is more than just learning one character really good. It's understanding the concepts and exploits and developing your strategies. What I mean is...someone who is quite better than you is going to beat you no matter who he picks because he can probably beat you without special moves and just tactics alone. It's also good to pick other characters so you can understand their moves and their play better so when you play against them you know what to expect. In short, I suggest learning more than just one character in your developmental stage. When I play ranked, I tend to just pick Kabal and Ermac. It usually works out because you get a different opponet most of the time and that way you're not pissing anyone off by beating them over and over with Kabal. You started with Kabal because he is at the top, but you should give all the top tier characters a whirl because you might like one of them better or they might fit your style of play better. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Goblin Bones

Graveyard Glow
Speedy187 said:
So, is this guy even going to respond, from his first post? : S
he probably is just collecting info cause there isnt a whole lot you can reply back with yet it is a question of opinion

....that or he doesnt have access to the net much

on topic though i say it is more of an anoyance than being cheap cause the game is about adaptation to different styles

I personally don't see a problem with using only one character. I can play well with just about any character, but I'm not as good as I used to be. I've been slowly losing interest in the game from what I once had, and if you've played me lately you may have noticed that Ermac and C-Sub are pretty much the only characters I use. I know it's not the best Ermac or C-Sub in the game but I only seem to be comfortable with those two chars, and will at the very least give you a run for your money with them.

Nevertheless as long as you use a character you enjoy playing with and are confident with, I see no problem with it.

HAYRON

Noob
Here's my take.

First, if you are playing competitively, there really is no cheap.
You're there to win, by any means. This is how you should play in ranked matches.

It doesn't matter what tier you use, but always use your best 2 or 3 characters. For example, I'm best with Sub-Zero, Sindel and of course Kabal. If you play me in Ranked matches, you probably won't see me use very many other characters (maybe unmasked Sub). Occasionally if I've repetitively beaten someone with these characters, I'll switch to my own personal mid-level characters. But rarely ever will I play with my worst characters unless I've been absolutely slaughtering someone.

My only problem playing with people in Ranked matches that MAY be considered cheap, is when people only know one super-high damage or infinite combo and that is all they ever do. Infinites make the game no fun. You will never catch me doing an infinite and if I do use an infinite tactic I will not do more than 2 or 3 iterations. For example I like to trap people in the corner with Kung Lao and do: Throw, Spin, Crouching LP (for show), Spin, Hat throw.

If I play someone in a ranked online match and they use an infinite, I'll finish the match. If the second match, they pick the same character and start the same infinite, I will drop. This is the ONLY situation that will EVER cause me to drop. I'll lose 30 matches in a row to you if you play fairly without using infinites, but I will not play with someone who can't win without infinites.

Now, unranked matches or casual play is completely different.
First, the infinite thing is a little different. If the person you're playing has a good sense of humor, they won't mind getting stomped by an infinite ON OCCASION.

Second, rotate your characters. If you win take a step down your skill list to your next worse fighter. If I'm really smoking someone, I'll try to rotate and use every fighter. This gives them a chance to face my weaker players like Shang Tsung, Jax (I should be better with him), or Classic Sub-Zero.

That's about it. It's kind of like the golden rule.
Try to think about how you would react if someone was playing you the way you are playing them. If it would make the game "un-fun" for you, it would probably not be fun for them either. And that's what we're here for,...right?

Scheisse said:
I don't think it is a question of skill... he just doesn't like you.
Why would someone want to spend time playing someone they dislike if they don't have to?
Well I don't like him either, but I don't go into threads and talk shit about him randomly.

He constantly says how bad I am yet we've never played.

Doesn't that seem odd to you? I dunno, I guess I live in LaLa land or something.

RoGE

Noob
I would not really care, but if its a unbalanced game, and you keep picking the broken character, then I won't even bother playing you unless I feel like it or use a broken character back on you.

Droopy

Noob
Some people who pick the same characters over and over have a tendency to do the same moves too so that makes it easier to read them, know when to attack etc etc. When i play ranked i pick between my 3 best characters but you will mostly see me in the versus challenger matches. I just about spar with anybody, working on the best combos for each one. This may be irrelevant but a personal favorite matchup of mine is playing subzero vs a good kabal player. Same goes for ermac and human smoke. Its intense as it gets!

You can defeat just about any of the retards online by playing them 2-3 times and picking up their patterns. Simple ones are the whole knockdown, jump kick, sweep ideas.

I dont consider using one character cheap, I consider it expensive. Due to the fact you can only do so much with one character you'll eventually fall into a predictable pattern where your opponent can figure out how to counter you.

Tim Static

Adminerator
diablo619 said:
I dont consider using one character cheap, I consider it expensive. Due to the fact you can only do so much with one character you'll eventually fall into a predictable pattern where your opponent can figure out how to counter you.
Very, very true. Great point.

But rremember, only those who are gettin beat complain about using one character. I man, would you really complain if you beat the same person 10 times and they only used one character? No, but if they were winning all those matches....

ZAQ

Noob
diablo619 said:
Made you a sig.

Scheisse said:
diablo619 said:
Made you a sig.
Hey cool,thanks I appreciate it.