What's new

Is using one character considered 'cheap'?

wompa164

HUHHEEHEE
Hi everyone, I'm new to this scene but I'm trying really hard to get competitive at UMK and I wanted to join a good community (so here I am!) 8)

Anyways, I've been playing for about two months now and I've pretty much been using Kabal exclusively. I used to be pretty competitive at Tekken 5 and I did the same thing: I used only Nina and practiced the hell out of her, learning the ins and outs of her character dynamics.

When I started playing UMK3 I decided I would research the tier list and start at the top, because there's no point in building your skills around a shitty character. Anyways, I generally use one or two characters exclusively because I'd rather be a perfectionist than a jack-of-all-trades. Staying with one character has helped me focus on learning the game's dynamics and elements after becoming comfortable and familiar with my character instead of juggling trying to learn a few characters at once.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. My two more 'casual' friends that I play with (and beat the hell out of) always complain and call me lame/cheap/gay/whatever for only using one character, but I think they're more pissed because they're getting constantly dominated.

Anyways, thoughts? I'm becoming comfortable enough with the game itself that I'm going to be pursuing another character soon, probably either Human Smoke or Nightwolf.

Thanks for the input, and nice to meet all of you!

Wompa164 said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to this scene but I'm trying really hard to get competitive at UMK and I wanted to join a good community (so here I am!) 8)

Anyways, I've been playing for about two months now and I've pretty much been using Kabal exclusively.

When I started playing UMK3 I decided I would research the tier list and start at the top, because there's no point in building your skills around a shitty character. Anyways, I generally use one or two characters exclusively because I'd rather be a perfectionist than a jack-of-all-trades. Staying with one character has helped me focus on learning the game's dynamics and elements after becoming comfortable and familiar with my character instead of juggling trying to learn a few characters at once.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. My two more 'casual' friends that I play with (and beat the hell out of) always complain and call me lame/cheap/gay/whatever for only using one character, but I think they're more pissed because they're getting constantly dominated.

I'm becoming comfortable enough with the game itself that I'm going to be pursuing another character soon, probably either Human Smoke or Nightwolf.

Thanks for the input, and nice to meet all of you!
Hi and welcome to the site! :D

Using one character all the time being cheap? I would say no, but it's better to learn more and more characters. I suggest starting with Scorpion and Nightwolf.

Scorp is probably the most beginner-friendly character, with simple combos and the spear, which is very easy to do.

Nightwolf is a top tier character and is, like Scorp, very easy to learn. His autocombos might be a little difficult, but hey-- practice makes perfect.

All the moves and autocombos
http://www.ultimatemk.com/cguide.php?character=movelist&game=umk3arcade

UMK3 Strategy Guide
http://www.ultimatemk.com/cguide.php?game=umk3arcade

And once again, welcome to the site! :D

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If you want to use one character, players will call you out on it. If you can beat everyone using one character though, people will also recognize that to some degree.

Houzi

Noob
I always see beginners playing as Robo Smoke. I'm a beginner myself but I like Ermac, he's just a cool character. My one brother loved UMKT and we always played on the N64 and now that we got the one for DS I started to come on this site and now I learned that you can really be good at this game. And I was shocked at the skill levels, so now I just started to get better and my brother says it's cheap (same as your friends say). He says it's no fun to take it to a psycho level or what not. But I love it so much, the game and this community is just Awesome! I Love it here and Welcome to the site.

:D

Diego

Noob
Agreed man! It's fun to finally find some people that share the same attitude to competetive gaming as you do! don't mind what people are saying, work on your char til you are good enough, then move on to the next one, at the end of the day you will master most of the chars, since the mechanics are pretty similar :)

I only use Shang Tsung on XBL. I consider it putting myself through a trial by fire because he's low tier. I'm much better than I used to be but not good enough to beat truly high skilled people.

I wouldn't consider using one character all the time as one being cheap... just one that wants to get their character as good as possible by playing as many different people as possible as many times as possible.

If that makes a lick of sense...

Diego

Noob
Well if you are up against the same guy, it will be easier for every time u fight him. People tend to use the same tacs over and over :roll:

Houzi88 said:
qft? what's that mean?
Quoted For Truth.

But on topic, I don't consider it cheap for people to use only one character over and over again, but it is annoying (whether I'm winning or losing to this person, it doesn't matter). If that ends up happening, I'll usually just keep going for Stryker at some point, but will wait for the other person to pick first in case he changes characters. Shortly after I'll just leave.

It can be annoying at times, but if you're beating everyone who cares what character you're using, as long as you win.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well, I'd recommend as some others have said using more characters but if you just use one guy, expect people to either leave on you due to boring or being counterpicked.

Houzi

Noob
How I train a lot is by picking random a lot. But I kinda slowed down with that because I guess people think that you're being cocky. I never even thought about that, I always think by picking random you're training and testing your skills. Idk, whatever I do is never cocky, I already know I'm not the best or anywhere near that, I just like to train and play the game. :D

Learning how to play other umk3 characters will help you become a better player. Even if you don't want to use the other characters.

You live in Dallas... So do I, maybe we can practice. I suggest using all characters. Why? Simply because everyone has a counter pick. For every fail, there is a win. You can't necessarily call a person cheap for using one character, but you can't call a person pro for using one combo and defeating everyone with it. My advice : Random select, everytime. No matter what. The moar you get your ass whooped, the moar you learn.