What's new

Is This The Start Of NRS Losing Control Of MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinkFla

Noob
Yeah the wait kinda sucks but at the same time some of these complaints are "wut" tier. The complaint that irks me more than any other:

RELEASE ALL THE DLC AT ONCE!!!

From a business standpoint this makes no sense for several reasons. Each character requires a lot of development time, and if you're thinking about dropping all of them at once then you'd be waiting even longer to play those characters (see Capcom Fighter standalone updates, etc). If they're done by launch but you're selling them as a season pass DLC, then prepare thy buttocks for thine outrage shalt be plundering. If you don't spread out the releases then your odds of reengaging players to return to the game after an extended hiatus dwindles. Releasing a new character long after launch gets people to jump back in and start playing again. I don't get how Nightwolf JUST came out but people are already complaining that the next character isn't out.
I think a lot of it boils down to the elimination of crunch. I do feel like the wait between some releases are a little too long but I'm old so time fucking flies by for my geriatric ass anyway. I think I can wait on impaling bitches on Spawn's cape for awhile.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
The release dates are industry standard and the marketing resulted in MK11 being the top selling YTD game as of the end of last month (it will not hold onto that position).

So what is this thread about again?
It’s not how they were in mkx. I doubt the marketing is why it’s selling well because the marketing sucks. Maybe it sold well in spite of its marketing because its mortal kombat.

So what is this thread about again?
That people wanted the DLC announced to be included in the base game because they can't wait for 6-11months for it to be released, so then they can bitch that they want more DLC and that there isn't enough content in the game.

Or something to that effect.

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Lol I have played 1 character for 4 months, I’m not lacking any content. I haven’t gotten to 98% of the existing roster online yet. I don’t hate the game or dev, quite the opposite. I’m not even complaining, I’m just pointing out that their marketing and rollouts have been trash. Although waiting until 2021 for ash is fucking crazy, I have beef with that.

The OP is asking why that is and references Boon saying “it’s not their fault for rolling it out so slow”. If it’s not netherealms fault then who’s is it? Who’s pulling the amateur hour strings?

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Yeah the wait kinda sucks but at the same time some of these complaints are "wut" tier. The complaint that irks me more than any other:

RELEASE ALL THE DLC AT ONCE!!!

From a business standpoint this makes no sense for several reasons. Each character requires a lot of development time, and if you're thinking about dropping all of them at once then you'd be waiting even longer to play those characters (see Capcom Fighter standalone updates, etc). If they're done by launch but you're selling them as a season pass DLC, then prepare thy buttocks for thine outrage shalt be plundering. If you don't spread out the releases then your odds of reengaging players to return to the game after an extended hiatus dwindles. Releasing a new character long after launch gets people to jump back in and start playing again. I don't get how Nightwolf JUST came out but people are already complaining that the next character isn't out.
I think a lot of it boils down to the elimination of crunch. I do feel like the wait between some releases are a little too long but I'm old so time fucking flies by for my geriatric ass anyway. I think I can wait on impaling bitches on Spawn's cape for awhile.
You gotta start with a really good game with a good learning curve to make players feel rewarded for the time they put in and the players will stay. Start with a big diverse big roster, release cosmetics stages and various cosmetics while a separate team makes the actual characters and at least release them in blocks of 3 when they are done.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
I, too, love actively searching for things to be mad about.

People are getting ridiculous about this shit. This is how having a publisher works. Studios get to make their games, but they don't get the final say. That's the exchange. That's how this works. Does it suck? Sure. But this is what happens with every single game except indies.

I'd be so exhausted complaining about the exact same things every day.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I, too, love actively searching for things to be mad about.

People are getting ridiculous about this shit. This is how having a publisher works. Studios get to make their games, but they don't get the final say. That's the exchange. That's how this works. Does it suck? Sure. But this is what happens with every single game except indies.

I'd be so exhausted complaining about the exact same things every day.
Exactly. We're lucky that NRS generally has full control over how the game works. I'm sure WB would have loved to make MK11 as a derivative prequel ARPG about Scorpion protecting his daughter

dark55

Noob
its a mixture. Wb's agenda pushin and nrs's balancing issues. Hence why after mk9 nrs has become a 2 year game franchise. Stuff needs to start changing

One good solution, perhaps, would be NRS , WB or both, listen more the community .... see Resident Evil from Capcom ? I love to death Resident Evil, is my favourite franchise along with MK, however, I don't protect and play light when developers do things that are explicit results of bad calls, bad decisions ... they fucked up the series with that so-so RE5, and that fucking shit RE6 games, and those dubious Revelations games .... and don't make me say about Operation Raccon Site , and that trash horrible stuff garbage piece of shit called Umbrella Corps .... and the series was coming to a hypotetical limbo phase .... only after Capcom, for some miracle reason, resolved to bring a public question pool, asking for the RE community around the world, to give feedback about a lot of points about RE, and giving space for global feedback, it was when they did something better, as RE7 and the Resident Evil 2 remake, both selling pretty well, but, more important, overall having good analysis from a lot of game sites, and RE forums around the internet .... so, they tried to improve the quality of games, when they decided to listen , for real, some suggestions and feedback ideias from the fanbase

so, MK could have something similar to this , who knows ?
I hope NRS will never listen to their community. All we'd have would be a new MK9 with slightly better graphics over an over, it would become damn FIFA lol.
Also, I may be on the minority here, but I think making bank by remaking old titles is cheap as fuck. RE7 looked awesome and a throwback to the origins. RE2 again is basically making bank of the same game twice. It is a good company decisión, but pretty lame by creative standards if you ask me.

If this is the future of gaming, we're in big fucking trouble. But I believe its not because companies like SNK (Bless their fucking heart) is changing that and hope other devs follow suit. But the problem with the time span of DLC here is that MK11 lacks major depth ESPECIALLY with these neutered tournament variations. Having DLC spread out like this works for games like Tekken and Soulcalibur because their games carry much depth, extensive movelist, and plenty of characters for lots of MUs which takes alot of time. In MK11, it doesnt take much time to learn a character at all. You can learn the cast in a couple of weeks or less. And we're given even less variations than MKX. Therefor, people will get bored easily. They need to re-vamp their strategy if they're going to make a KP 2.
No one is going to follow SNK example, that is a friggin small boat in videogame industry come on man. It's like following the example of a beggar when you try to be a millionarie.

The attitude of some people only serves to confirm what people have been saying for a long time. NRS games die because people just tune out and move on.

Hey, it's okay to wait for DLC . You can't be making posts criticizing crunch time on one hand and in the same breath bitch that you have to wait longer than a month for a DLC character.

Shitty, drama-stirring threads like this one don't help either. Bitch about WB all you want, at the end of the day it is their money that made sure MK didn't disappear after Armageddon.
This is so true. I feel like I have a debt to WB, MK just would not exist without them

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You know, this could have been a good discussion, and I just don't understand how y'all are even arguing over this. He made an analysis, and it was valid if you don't agree that's fine but y'all really need to get better at discussing with each other instead of just trying to defend your point like your life depends on it.

It's not that serious guys, come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.