What's new

Is There Still Hype For MK11 And Do You Think That They Should Continue To Support It?

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Imagine telling people "they need to take a break" as a defense to them saying they dislike a game. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

If you actually enjoy a game, you don't take a break from it to "rekindle" your love. Jesus.....the blind defense of this game knows NO BOUNDS. Every game I've ever loved....I can't WAIT to get home to play it. Even day 2 of MK11 didn't give me this feeling.

The game is boring. Period. I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I understand that people who have twitch streams, youtube channels or forums that depend on the success of games they focus on for revenue is important and they will shill for the game every chance they get, but I don't make a fucking penny on this game so I have no issue saying it's boring as fuck. I want to love this MK game and I won't stop voicing my opinion on it until it changes.
I mean saying this is someone who isn't in the community or plays MK11. You should really think about it again before you keep talking. If someone not even playing the game can see we're too toxic, that is a problem. The same shit happened in Injustice 2. We are our own worst enemy. It's easy to blame the game and not ourselves.

Im tired of people just shitting on the game on an MK forum and labeling it as "discussion". You guys come off as whiners and some of the things you say about the game aren't even true. Y'all are so negative about it that the people who like the game can't even have a real discussion with you bc they are too busy defending it. For example, cherny can post a vid saying that this the most unbalanced game in NRS history and act like hes being constructive. People then chime in and support simply for the wish that they change something in the game even if they don't agree.

Just look at the thread title. The game isn't even out 2 years and people want to say it's dead. Not only that, but it's suggesting that NRS should maybe stop supporting it. Really? If changes to the game mechanics are what you want.....thats support. Y'all really need to learn the difference between being constructive and straight up bitching.
Thank you! Even someone who doesn't play our games is saying this. That should be concerning for everyone if someone not playing our games says we're bitching too much. We are never happy with a game until later. We all love MK9, MK10, and Inj 1, and Inj 2 years after.

in some games moves have different proximity guard range so some of them can be used to catch filthy backwalkers too and diffent crossup protection for each move to prevent ambiguous stuff unless intended. injustice implemented it poorly and doesnt have both thats probably why nrs players dont like btb as much
To be honest, I forgot Injustice games were BTB (I never even played one, lol), but yeah, different moves have different guard boxes so the designer can use that as part of the character’s design/balance.

FWIW, ASW games (GG, BB, etc) seem be a bit better where you only block if it’d hit and they don’t use them to trap you much, but there’s likely still cases where it does if you’re just outside of the hitbox or something.

Im tired of people just shitting on the game on an MK forum and labeling it as "discussion". You guys come off as whiners and some of the things you say about the game aren't even true. Y'all are so negative about it that the people who like the game can't even have a real discussion with you bc they are too busy defending it. For example, cherny can post a vid saying that this the most unbalanced game in NRS history and act like hes being constructive. People then chime in and support simply for the wish that they change something in the game even if they don't agree.

Just look at the thread title. The game isn't even out 2 years and people want to say it's dead. Not only that, but it's suggesting that NRS should maybe stop supporting it. Really? If changes to the game mechanics are what you want.....thats support. Y'all really need to learn the difference between being constructive and straight up bitching.
Who in this thread other than you is talking about cherny? I don't understand. Does he argue the game isn't hype? I haven't kept up on his videos. He criticizes the game a lot and seems super harsh, sure, but I think most peoples dissatisfaction with the game (especially in this thread) is that they feel MK11 is boring compared to other NRS games. Whats a nice way of saying that? lol. I'm a lifelong MK fan that feels underwhelmed by MK11, do I need to wait 2 years before I'm allowed to say that? I felt that way with the damn beta but I continue to stick it out because I love NRS and the series and hope it will improve. I'm sorry random people on the internet are toxic about sharing this opinion, but random people on the internet are toxic about everything lol. That said though I can kinda empathize with people's frustration because we all know/hope NRS can do better.....or at least do something different than MK11.

And I think the general consensus is that the game needs serious support, like majorly readjusting game mechanics, not just adding halloween skins and small nerfs/buffs. If NRS doesn't want to do that or is unable (either of which would be fine/understandable) then yeah I can't help but be curious what the next game is gonna be. And in all honesty why would I give a fuck about them supporting the game in its current state if I don't really like it's current state?

I still have fun with MK11 at times and I don't HATE it, and I agree some of its criticism is unfounded, but overall for me this game has been a swing and a miss and I'm not gonna pretend otherwise. Especially just to save face for the "community" like some others are saying, thats some weird creepy cult shit. I don't lose sleep about what the FG community thinks of the MK fanbase. I just want reptile ninja's to fight missile shooting robots and four armed (maybe, kinda) part dragon guys in a game thats FUN, fuck me right?

Mr.Khen

I am you
The community is hypocritical and shoots itself in the foot a lot. The game still has buzz and finding a match isn't hard. They're doing another year of support. It just sucks Covid fucked everything over. I feel since no one has events a lot of fighters are like," Well what do we do?" Tekken, SF, and SC got something but a lot of communities rather not play tournaments on delay base netcode. So right now, fighters are just stuck. That is why someone like me is just coming back as I felt there was no need to keep grinding for now. Look at Smash for example, besides a good chunk of their community being expose, you also got people wondering what to do next as Smash online sucks even after the patch.

Edit: Like we got people in this thread bitching about patches and not patching game enough while people complained for MK9, MK10, and Inj 1 they patched the game too much. So I am at a lost.

Honesty they're not valid and it comes as whiny. The top palyers have always been entitled. If people outside of the community think we complain too much then there is a problem. We have endlessly bitch and complain about our games since MK9. It's the same song and dance. People were ready to leave INJ 1 for MK 10 because we got sick of Batgirl. People were ready to leave MK10 due to how stupid run cancels were! It's like we are running into the same wall again and again without learning anything.
The community isn't hypocritical, it's just divided and that's ok.

Not valid and comes out as Whiny when you're reading it perhaps, through your eyes and I just see it as childish observation
and another attempt to ridicule valid opinions that are opposing to yours.

Last edited:
Who in this thread other than you is talking about cherny?
No one. im using him as an example in my post. Hence the words "for example".

Does he argue the game isn't hype? I haven't kept up on his videos. He criticizes the game a lot and seems super harsh, sure, but I think most peoples dissatisfaction with the game (especially in this thread) is that they feel MK11 is boring compared to other NRS games.
This is what im talking about in my post. You see cherny's vids and posts as "criticism" when they are just extreme digs at the game and the people who like it.

I felt that way with the damn beta but I continue to stick it out because I love NRS and the series and hope it will improve.

And I think the general consensus is that the game needs serious support, like majorly readjusting game mechanics, not just adding halloween skins and small nerfs/buffs.
You say this, then in the same post you say the following:

And in all honesty why would I give a fuck about them supporting the game in its current state if I don't really like it's current state?
You say you want the game to improve but dont give a fuck about it being supported which makes no sense.

Im not looking for people to say "nice" things about the game. Im saying if you dislike the game that much give specific reasons instead of constant bashing. If people did that then the people who like the game would most likely agree with you or want to discuss it. Right now you have a bunch of people saying "its boring" and backing it up with "Im not the only one who thinks so". And that leads to people having to defend the game being hype instead of WHY people think the game is boring.

Last edited:

Mr.Khen

I am you
There's a difference between constructive criticism and complaining though. Complaining usually accomplishes little and is, well, not constructive. It tends to not point out our discuss issues properly that lead along the lines to resolutions. Constructive criticism, on the other hand, is feedback that can be properly used to make improvements.

Storm is a great, friendly guy, and he gets the above distinction.
I am a witness to the fact that people that have complained got things done wether it's nerfing chracters. run mechanics in mkx.., complaning is a form of expressing your true opinion in a frustrating environment / circumstances and that's the only real difference, think about it. this community loves to shut people up so it takes a lot for those who actually speak out their opinion knowing they will be facing much hate ...so I'll respectfully disagree with you on that

Or maybe it was a coincidence given that NRS loves to shake up the entire game each release?

People have been asking for Fujin since MK9, it happened in MK11. Because of the fan requests, or maybe they felt it was time?

Guest characters have been hated since they were first released, yet they're still coming thick and fast. Selective hearing on NRS behalf?
I am not sure, however back in 2015-6 the community here and on reddit was full of "I wish MKX had a real footsie base / spacing / no 50/50's" and it was a whole thing where youtubers started coming out with videos about the game being broken and 5 years late...here we are so I find it hard to believe the community had nothing to do with it... but I might be wrong...

If you actually enjoy a game, you don't take a break from it to "rekindle" your love.
In my experience, that's actually not true. There are absolutely times I've had to take a break from a game, or even a franchise, simply because I overplayed it and got burned out. DOOM is a recent franchise for me with this.

There are other times I haven't liked the way a franchise has gone, both in gameplay and perhaps story direction, and I decided to walk away from it. Years later I give it a chance again, and find I really enjoy it again and the stuff that was bothering me back then doesn't seem to be now. This was the case with Mortal Kombat for me a decade ago, and more recently the Halo franchise.

I am a witness to the fact that people that have complained got things done
Just because you see a lot of people complaining about something, doesn't mean it's actually getting results.

I've seen developers, Blizzard Entertainment, Iron Galaxy, etc., not listen to non-constructive complaints at all, even when the core of said complaint was valid. A good developer also isn't going to change something because people are complaining about it, they change something because they truly feel there's an issue and the change will make the game better or improve an issue over site in said game.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.

I think it's funny I've been brought up in this context when my channel is full of breakdowns of ideas for mechanical/balance changes that I earnestly think would improve the game. It's obvious you don't watch my content or at the very least, you seem to do a knee jerk "OPINION WRONG" reaction because you like the game.

Also the game IS dead. It's not bringing in new people, it's in an absolute state of stagnation due to a lack of developer communication that during a pandemic and quarantine is hitting us all at an all time high, people who were playing the game aren't playing it anymore, everybody is tired. No one is asking for NRS to stop supporting the game, I think all of us want this to be the best game it can be, but NRS fell so short on so much that it's frustrating that they don't seem to care. At a certain point, they have to surrender their vision of the game and give us what we want. Sorry.

Mr.Khen

I am you
Just because you see a lot of people complaining about something, doesn't mean it's actually getting results.

I've seen developers, Blizzard Entertainment, Iron Galaxy, etc., not listen to non-constructive complaints at all, even when the core of said complaint was valid. A good developer also isn't going to change something because people are complaining about it, they change something because they truly feel there's an issue and the change will make the game better or improve an issue over site in said game.

True, that's why I said I might be wrong, and just because you've seen some devs not listening to non-constructive complaints then it doesn't mean that enraged, spoiled, annoying fans aren't being listened to by other devs.. and we'll see if Mileena comes how that played out and if your theory holds.

I am still not convinced the community had nothing to do with change in direction. it was as unavoidable just as 2020 Mileena stans, I think it did effect their decision to make MK11 as they did, also probably from the backlash they got for making INJ2 an upgraded version of INJ1 in terms of legacy moves....

At this point I would like to stop squeezing this lemon, it ran out of juice... point was made... devs or not devs this is the game, love it hate it whatever there's room for everything as long as no harm is being done to no one and nothing it's just harmless opinions...

I think it's funny I've been brought up in this context when my channel is full of breakdowns of ideas for mechanical/balance changes that I earnestly think would improve the game. It's obvious you don't watch my content or at the very least, you seem to do a knee jerk "OPINION WRONG" reaction because you like the game.

Also the game IS dead. It's not bringing in new people, it's in an absolute state of stagnation due to a lack of developer communication that during a pandemic and quarantine is hitting us all at an all time high, people who were playing the game aren't playing it anymore, everybody is tired. No one is asking for NRS to stop supporting the game, I think all of us want this to be the best game it can be, but NRS fell so short on so much that it's frustrating that they don't seem to care. At a certain point, they have to surrender their vision of the game and give us what we want. Sorry.
I have watched your videos. And ive even posted my views on some of your threads. But before you can get to your point you make wild assumptions that are completely unnecessary which is why i used you as an example. You actually said this is the most unbalanced game in NRS history. I can't take you seriously or see that you really just want changes to the game.

623HS

Noob
To be honest, I forgot Injustice games were BTB (I never even played one, lol), but yeah, different moves have different guard boxes so the designer can use that as part of the character’s design/balance.

FWIW, ASW games (GG, BB, etc) seem be a bit better where you only block if it’d hit and they don’t use them to trap you much, but there’s likely still cases where it does if you’re just outside of the hitbox or something.
yeah, some projectiles like ky's and faust's can trigger block prox you even if you stand way outside their trajectories while may's volleyball barely triggers it but they cover larger part of the screen

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I have watched your videos. And ive even posted my views on some of your threads. But before you can get to your point you make wild assumptions that are completely unnecessary which is why i used you as an example. You actually said this is the most unbalanced game in NRS history. I can't take you seriously or see that you really just want changes to the game.
I do believe this is the most unbalanced game in NRS history it's also just such a mess that this is hard to see. It's a game that's completely asymmetrical in terms of what the cast can do, can't do etc on a FUNDAMENTALS level that it can't possibly be balanced. Sounds like you just latch onto the thing you can latch onto to reject my point instead of actually addressing the point. What's your name on Youtube and I'll go back and read any comments you've left?

I do believe this is the most unbalanced game in NRS history it's also just such a mess that this is hard to see. It's a game that's completely asymmetrical in terms of what the cast can do, can't do etc on a FUNDAMENTALS level that it can't possibly be balanced. Sounds like you just latch onto the thing you can latch onto to reject my point instead of actually addressing the point. What's your name on Youtube and I'll go back and read any comments you've left?
Have you played MK9, injustice 1, and MKX? Those are definitely more unbalanced then MK11. And no. I address your points directly. I am not on youtube. I only see your videos that you link in your threads on TYM. I respond to some of those depending on the topic.

and we'll see if Mileena comes how that played out and if your theory holds.
If Mileena is added to the game, you do realize it may not be because of all the harassment to include the character. Traditionally, development companies plan out their products, support windows, and release windows years in advance.

If we do see Mileena actually added to the game, it means one of a few things: 1) She was planned all along. 2) She was one of several characters they were considering.

Option 2, if that ends up being the correct one (which we'll never know for sure either way), could indeed be influenced by all the fan demand and harassment though.

Mr.Khen

I am you
If Mileena is added to the game, you do realize it may not be because of all the harassment to include the character. Traditionally, development companies plan out their products, support windows, and release windows years in advance.

If we do see Mileena actually added to the game, it means one of a few things: 1) She was planned all along. 2) She was one of several characters they were considering.
I 100% disagree :)

Option 2, if that ends up being the correct one (which we'll never know for sure either way), could indeed be influenced by all the fan demand and harassment though.
Feels more likely to me :)

Last edited:
It low key baffles me how many people seem to prefer MKXL over MK11. Not because I don't think their opinionated point is valid. Its just there were so many pros ready to quit that game because it lacked everything MK11 actually has. No footsies, no neutral, no fair pressure, all 50/50s coin scenarios. If I recall correctly, today I overheard on KPs stream him saying Mk11 is miles above MKX and he prefers MK11. He did though, mention MKX is enjoyable to watch.

Me personally? I hate MKX. Trust me, I miss the reliable anti airs and plus frames, the decent s3 anti air in Scorpion and d4 from Ermac, but... that game was all over the place. There wasnt a single time I could guess right on oki. I basically was forced to switch off Scorp and go to Mystic Ermac, because the only safe way to get off the ground from 50/50s was to ex push. SO there are things I MISS from MKX, but MK11 is just much better in competitive play overall.

As for MK11? I think its really hype. They should continue to support this game. I have barely scratched the surface on how to play it, and KL tells me the same about other players. I've noticed for some people footsies are just boring. But I personally recognize I need to evolve because if theres one thing this game taught me its that I cant play neutral for shit, and until I do this, ditching this game would actually probably ruin my progress as a fighting game player.
There are still 50/50 in this game though. There is also a lot of guess work which I find much more irritating. When I knock someone down I shouldn't feel like I don't have the upper hand. Will they short delay, long delay, Up 2, Up 3, roll forward, roll back, jump, or immediately press buttons. I personally also find that rolls are not consistent for me....Maybe i'm just not as good at this game.....but when I try to roll it comes out like 50% of the time for me. Wake up armored attacks for me in MKX came out like 100% of the time. The combos have been so watered down in this game to make them shorter but not necessarily easier . I loved spending hours in MKX getting the muscle memory down for long juggle combos. I feel like I was rewarded for my practice by being able to execute nice combos that a casual player wouldn't be able to. I main Jade in this game who was described by NRS as " not a combo character" and I find the very limited corner combos she can do are extremely difficult to execute ......maybe its just me in this game again but in MKX I had no problems with corner combos. It feels like the things I loved about MKX were removed and difficult mechanics were added. I can't consistently flawless block and up 2/up 3......it's just to difficult of a mechanic for me to do. I don't even try anymore. it's sad because I felt like i was solidly good at MKX not amazing ......this game I just feel bad......i can't get an edge through hours of practice of combos. I feel like anyone can learn a character fully in a couple days since options are so limited. I feel like everyone plays each character the same and there is no room for a person to play a character in a unique way. MK11 has felt very slow and clunky to me from the first time I played it. Everything feels like its on a delay and there is so much recovery lag after every single move. I think Krushing Blows are horrible. Some characters have easy practical requirements and some are just never goign to happen. Being able to kill someone by just hitting 2 Krushing Blows then a Fatal blow is just stupid to me. Just like when I play Jade and hit someone with the upper cut KB and then immediately hit her armor breaking shadow kick KB for like 48% damage. I'm not complaining about the damage since Jade is severely lacking the damage potential other characters have but it's just a stupid and brain dead way of getting 48% damage. I would rather be rewarded and feel accomplished by juggling a long combo I've spent hours practicing to get that 48% damage. A simple upper cut and then a simple special move input for 48% is just dumb. Anyone can do that with no practice. Overall MK11 is just not a fun game to me. It actually feels very frustrating to play and I find myself not wanting to come back to it. I continue to play MKX and will always go back to it since it's much more satisfying of a game to me personally.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
It's been interesting (and sad) to see just how quickly this thread devolved from people calmly stating their opinions about the game to the same people getting their hackles up and sniping at each other and trading insults. Relatively neutral expressions of like or dislike being interpreted as personal attacks on your "side". Overgeneralizing, oversimplifying, and kneejerk defensiveness on both sides leave no chance to find common ground in between.

It's the kind of behavior you expect to see after years of miscommunication leads to automatic distrust and the tendency to assume the worst possible intent from the other party in every situation. And you see this play out in every corner of NRS social media.

The NRS community doesn't need a patch; it needs a marriage counselor. :confused:

It's been interesting (and sad) to see just how quickly this thread devolved from people calmly stating their opinions about the game to the same people getting their hackles up and sniping at each other and trading insults. Relatively neutral expressions of like or dislike being interpreted as personal attacks on your "side". Overgeneralizing, oversimplifying, and kneejerk defensiveness on both sides leave no chance to find common ground in between.

It's the kind of behavior you expect to see after years of miscommunication leads to automatic distrust and the tendency to assume the worst possible intent from the other party in every situation. And you see this play out in every corner of NRS social media.

The NRS community doesn't need a patch; it needs a marriage counselor. :confused:
Yeah man these threads always turn into a shills vs bills thread.

When certain posters on either one of those sides show up you know it’s not gonna be civil anymore and should just charge it to the game.

All you can do is laugh as these people show up with a laundry list of complaints and other people responding with how far along they are in their pregnancy after being harpooned by scorpion.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
The community isn't hypocritical, it's just divided and that's ok.

Not valid and comes out as Whiny when you're reading it perhaps, through your eyes and I just see it as childish observation
and another attempt to ridicule valid opinions that are opposing to yours.
No they are. They bitch about thing and then bitch about it when they get it. They don't know what they want. As a Sonic fan, I got a lot of experience of dealing with hypocritical fans. Being divided is not okay and leads to factions.
Ridicule? Dude I just had to correct someone on jump ins being too strong saying they were safe when they weren't. A lot of these issues are people blaming the game when it is them. Valid is prepatch Gears beign derpy. The biggest is how they are wanting mroe patches but complain in the past that the game was patch too much.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I honestly think nrs should finally try to develop some AAA adventure game like Shaolin Monks 2 and take a small break from the 1v1 fighting genre. Boon has pointed out that he would like to do it in several interviews.

It would also give them time and a chance to reflect about what they did right and what their mistakes were in the previous games. Regarding balance, I feel they are still quite lost considering they started in 2011, and I don't think the fetish for excessive innovation they seem to have (specially with mk franchise) has particularly helped.

You say you want the game to improve but dont give a fuck about it being supported which makes no sense.
Nay, maybe I was unclear, I said I want HUGE changes to the game's meta, rebuilding certain mechanics from the ground up, opening combo paths, reevaluating the variation system, etc. These are the kind of improvements I am HOPEFUL for. If they are not willing to support the game at THIS level than I do not really care about the support they offer and would rather see the next game.

Like if "support" is going to consist of holiday skins and easier brutality inputs that doesn't exactly rekindle my interest in the game.