What's new

Is There Anything You'd Pay For to Help Offset the Cost of an Event?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hey everyone!

This question is mainly for people who aren't going to be attending an event, but will be watching at home. Could be for casual fans, or players who won't be able to make X event but might have a spare $10 they'd be willing to put toward helping support their event and scene.

The costs of putting on events are rising -- both because the increase in attendees ultimately means bigger expenditures in terms of venue space, equipment rentals, power fees, etc., and because viewers are expecting a better quality of broadcast when watching at home. This often means that while it's great to get more entrants, you really often still don't make any more overall as a TO (and sometimes you lose).

Everyone wants better timing, better amenities, better staff, more reliable streams, etc. -- but to be responsible, I think we should also think about the cost.

My question to everyone is: Is there a digital product or service you'd be willing to pay for periodically, to help offset the cost of growing our scene and making these events better for all?

Obviously not something as fancy as say, the DotA2 International compendium or the Sub Zero skin (which are official products from the developer), but something you'd be willing to buy online to help support a tournament you're watching.

We send donations to players, we subscribe to streamers, etc., so why not events?

In any case, I'm curious to see what you guys think about this, and if you have ideas. I am convinced that our scene (and the FGC as a whole) could be much bigger than it is, but we're going to have to build resources together in order to get there.

Last edited:

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
I would gladly pay for sex to be able to attend a tournament I would personally purchase the venue fee's worth in cupcakes ala Mrs. Rapzilla or other items that are already provided at the venue like custom controllers, T-Shirts, food etc. Pre-ordering, purchasing them at the door etc. would incentivize people to attend, since regardless of how they do at the event, they will at least 'get something' for ther attendance if the experience isn't worth it enough for some folks. This is mainly for events that already do provide services/items like the aforementioned.

Also, if a TO happens to be a streamer, come tourney time they could make streams dedicated to offsetting venue cost in donations for viewers that are on the fence about attending. Their names can be compiled into a list that allows them to enter VIP style etc. and could bring awareness to said event via the stream.

Others can host online tournaments to players who wish to attend the offline tournament where small pay ins of let's say $1-5 dollars all go towards paying for the attendance of the top 3-8. Sure they won't make bank but that's the point: there will be more players that get some chunck of change towards the venue fee being waivered and since the people online plan to actually attend the tournament, it could get pretty stacked since online-only players that don't plan on attending wouldn't be motivated to apply, but the ones that do will.

While I personally have no qualms paying for a venue fee and hell, treating all the people I hang out with at the tournament out, others may not have that luxury. These suggestions give people options, at least I think so.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I don't really donate to anything if I'm being totally honest. But instead of just donating or buying gold and the money going to KN to run streams or events or whatever, what if there was something more personal to the people who contributed to the event?

What if there was some sort of Kickstarter thing for each event and in-between matches when people are button checking or getting to the setup etc the donators can have a short video clip put up or a message to be read out from commentators or even just a shout out of their name on stream. It'd be a way for the event to get funding, the donator to know his money was used in the event and for everyone to see who donated.

I haven't really saw any other fighting game community do this and I think it could really make MK unique from the rest of the communities out there. It might even be an incentive to get people who watch casually or don't really watch MK to start watching and donating because of the novelty.

Any excess money that isn't used in an event simply rolls over to help fund the next event. Not sure if this a good idea, just sort of got inspired reading this thread and popped up in my head so I started typing lol.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Something like a compendium would be amazing, but that stuff is heavily integrated into the game, it wouldnt necessarily work with events that host multiple games, cooperation between the companies would be rather difficult. If developers opened up the idea of selling costumes or cosmetics that promote a tourney, which dota also does, it would work pretty well. such an official CEO costume in SFV or something, but even then it will be hard to have it go across multiple games.

Valve gave the tools to the community to allow them to craft stuff and sell it, no FG developer has done the same.

With what is currently available to us the best bet is stuff like shirts that are for the tournament and support it, but those already exist. It would be hard to really expand heavily from there. If you cant offer in game goodies then you have to offer real life ones, apparel is universally used by everyone, there is not a group of people that 'doesnt do shirts.' but other items, such as beadsprites or character memorabilia has less population that it appeals to. without assistance from the devs its gonna be hard to get really compelling merch available

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I would gladly pay for sex to be able to attend a tournament I would personally purchase the venue fee's worth in cupcakes ala Mrs. Rapzilla or other items that are already provided at the venue like custom controllers, T-Shirts, food etc. Pre-ordering, purchasing them at the door etc. would incentivize people to attend, since regardless of how they do at the event, they will at least 'get something' for ther attendance if the experience isn't worth it enough for some folks. This is mainly for events that already do provide services/items like the aforementioned.

Also, if a TO happens to be a streamer, come tourney time they could make streams dedicated to offsetting venue cost in donations for viewers that are on the fence about attending. Their names can be compiled into a list that allows them to enter VIP style etc. and could bring awareness to said event via the stream.

Others can host online tournaments to players who wish to attend the offline tournament where small pay ins of let's say $1-5 dollars all go towards paying for the attendance of the top 3-8. Sure they won't make bank but that's the point: there will be more players that get some chunck of change towards the venue fee being waivered and since the people online plan to actually attend the tournament, it could get pretty stacked since online-only players that don't plan on attending wouldn't be motivated to apply, but the ones that do will.

While I personally have no qualms paying for a venue fee and hell, treating all the people I hang out with at the tournament out, others may not have that luxury. These suggestions give people options, at least I think so.
I was thinking about something along these lines earlier -- it's pretty much like what they do at GDC's. You could feature the names somewhere, or have a list of credits scroll after that event so that your name would become part of the VOD forever.

Or even do something fun, where people are submitted for a drawing, or the extra money allows you to vote on something that will happen in an exhibition.

In any case, I'm really interested in this, and thanks to everyone who's volunteering ideas.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
I can tell you the TOs for the tournaments I have been to personally feel bodies and turnout outweigh fiscal support. Money makes the tournaments happen and it's nice but getting a low turnout can't be supplemented by funds. We should not be under the delusion this is a good alternative to people traveling and showing up.

That being said I'd be happy to financially support tournaments I like if I can have transparency of where exactly my money goes. I want assurances my money isn't paying for the charmin in the Smash Divas VIP powder room.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
You should offer special Mood Choosers/MK Tshirt(if you have any on hand)/A specialized Signature and a banner under TYM name for those that Donate 10 bucks for this event you are talking about. something they can keep but get to stand out here on TYM. just thinking its something you can do that is free and many on here would probably want.

@CrimsonShadow

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I can tell you the TOs for the tournaments I have been to personally feel bodies and turnout outweigh fiscal support. Money makes the tournaments happen and it's nice but getting a low turnout can't be supplemented by funds. We should not be under the delusion this is a good alternative to people traveling and showing up.
Yeah -- the issue at a lot of the majors now is that there are so many people showing up, that it stretches the limits of logistics, staffing, and venue. Theoretically the more people that show up, the more money comes in; but once you pay additional staff, additional venue and power usage costs, additional equipment/rentals, etc, it ends up offsetting any gains.

So the FGC problem isn't one of too few people showing up, but how to keep the experience consistent (and keep improving it for the future) when current entry fees barely pay for everything as it currently is.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Yeah -- the issue at a lot of the majors now is that there are so many people showing up, that it stretches the limits of logistics, staffing, and venue. Theoretically the more people that show up, the more money comes in; but once you pay additional staff, additional venue and power usage costs, additional equipment/rentals, etc, it ends up offsetting any gains.

So the FGC problem isn't one of too few people showing up, but how to keep the experience consistent (and keep improving it for the future) when current entry fees barely pay for everything as it currently is.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression turnout for NRS community since EVO has been lower than expected. I have no doubt that turnout for SFV and Smash has been high and I don't have a problem subsidizing things that benefit them as well but I'm gonna be real. You'll be hard pressed to get financial support out of me for these sub 70 - 80 entrant tournaments that have been happening for MKX, especially if only a couple of big names are showing.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression turnout for NRS community since EVO has been lower than expected. I have no doubt that turnout for SFV and Smash has been high and I don't have a problem subsidizing things that benefit them as well but I'm gonna be real. You'll be hard pressed to get financial support out of me for these sub 70 - 80 entrant tournaments that have been happening for MKX, especially if only a couple of big names are showing.
There haven't been any true majors since EVO -- but I'm posting this in regard to the entire FGC with future events in mind; not just the current NRS title.

MadeOfMetal

I understand this: but i think thats why there is large donation/funding coming from NRS, and gaming Networks that offer prize pools right? does the tournament holders take a small % off the rake?

But if you need something from us who taLk on here all day, ill Donate my share, but like i said id love to have: some cool banner or emblem under name like me personally would be a Lin Kuei symbol. and others might like something similar to what you guys had going on before, remember the Reprasitative banners you guys had a while back. maybe something along those lines.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I understand this: but i think thats why there is large donation/funding coming from NRS, and gaming Networks that offer prize pools right? does the tournament holders take a small % off the rake?

But if you need something from us who taLk on here all day, ill Donate my share, but like i said id love to have: some cool banner or emblem under name like me personally would be a Lin Kuei symbol. and others might like something similar to what you guys had going on before, remember the Reprasitative banners you guys had a while back. maybe something along those lines.
Pot Bonuses go directly to the winners, we do not see a dime of that

MadeOfMetal

Pot Bonuses go directly to the winners, we do not see a dime of that
Damn well, i figured you guys would take a SMALL CUT YOU GUYS SURLY DESERVE IT. honestly, what are you guys there for, to host and be taken advantage of, no, take what is needed like a small 5-8% share. especially when its a 500k tournament take 3%, and if its something like a 10k take 8%. Just my opinion. alot of people gather and work together to make those events possible, and i feel the only ones rewarded are the players, which is good but not fair, the players should get the majority, but the staff should get some love too.

Much love to the staff of tournaments had no clue you guys where Volunteer Camp workers. erned alot more respect in my book on top of what was already there.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
It's actually the reverse. The lion's share of money goes to the prize pool -- there's sometimes a small amount of event support that comes along with it, but it's not enough to cover most expenses as is; not to mention improving the quality of staff, producing better and more consistent streams, or growing the exposure of the FGC through smart marketing so that everyone (including players) can make more.

So basically while it's awesome that players can make so much from winning some of these events (and it's been a lot in the last year or so), it's not enough to keep moving forward as a scene outside of the payouts alone.

I don't think there's anyone that would argue with wanting better staff (and more of them, who are better trained), more setups to help things run smoothly, and more consistent streams, bigger exposure for the scene etc. -- but this comes at a price. At a lot of current events, specific non-staff competitors are having to take things into their own hands (aside from playing in the tournament) in order to help pools and the pools -> stream allocation run smoothly/on time.

That was the impetus behind making this thread -- but it only applies to TOs that are trusted, keep their word, and have been shown to allocate resources effectively.

Last edited: