What's new

Is there any guide or pattern to getting variation icons?

Art Lean

Noob
I know they're probably the silliest most insignificant thing in the game to be seeking out, most of the time they're just rubbish and meaningless, however there's a few that really tie well to the skin (the golden sickle for Kold War Skarlet for example, Sub Zero's Lin Kuei symbol, Scorpion's Shirai Ryu symbol etc.) that just make some variants I've made feel all the more "complete". There's a few annoying obvious omissions; Frost doesn't have a Lin Kuei symbol, Noob doesn't have a Brotherhood of Shadow symbol, Kung Lao doesn't have a White Lotus Society symbol etc. but I digress...

However I can't seem to find any info on what actually drops them, especially white ones (the default I use - whilst red I save for revenant skins, yellow I don't typically use other than in the case of Skarlet above). I'm trying to get the Special Forces logo for Cassie that matches Sonya's so she completes my array of similar 'Special Forces' skins for all of that faction's characters yet no idea how to actually get it? Completed her character towers and wasn't in there. Likewise when she's been the subject of boss towers in the ToT, it's always red icons that are up for grabs.

Any idea where to even begin looking?!

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
  1. Character Towers
  2. Krypt chests
  3. ToT on the third(?) victory
That's all I can think of. I'm unsure if the Naknandan Shrine can drop them.

Art Lean

Noob
  1. Character Towers
  2. Krypt chests
  3. ToT on the third(?) victory
That's all I can think of. I'm unsure if the Naknandan Shrine can drop them.
As I’m specifically after a Cassie one, my responses to each option are sadly as follows -
  1. Done all of Cassie’s character towers
  2. My krypt offers nothing but augments and konsumables, refilled it to the point of pure redundancy repeatedly
  3. They only seem to be red on the TOT boss battle ones that you can easily replay over and over
And tried various different amounts into the shrine, never get any (thats also only dropping augments now too no matter how much or little I pay).

Figured there must be a place in the game that offers them out considering there’s so many yet they’re so insignificant... surely?!

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
As I’m specifically after a Cassie one, my responses to each option are sadly as follows -
  1. Done all of Cassie’s character towers
  2. My krypt offers nothing but augments and konsumables, refilled it to the point of pure redundancy repeatedly
  3. They only seem to be red on the TOT boss battle ones that you can easily replay over and over
And tried various different amounts into the shrine, never get any (thats also only dropping augments now too no matter how much or little I pay).

Figured there must be a place in the game that offers them out considering there’s so many yet they’re so insignificant... surely?!
For my third point, I'm not just speaking on boss towers. I've seen that basically any tower/platform that's focused on a specific character will generally have variation icons on the second Brutal Difficulty victory (so third overall victory if new to the tower). The first will give an aug/skin on the used character, the second (first Brutal difficulty) will give augs/skins/brutal on the used character, and the third (second Brutal difficulty) usually has a consumable and a variation icon for the tower's character.

Art Lean

Noob
For my third point, I'm not just speaking on boss towers. I've seen that basically any tower/platform that's focused on a specific character will generally have variation icons on the second Brutal Difficulty victory (so third overall victory if new to the tower). The first will give an aug/skin on the used character, the second (first Brutal difficulty) will give augs/skins/brutal on the used character, and the third (second Brutal difficulty) usually has a consumable and a variation icon for the tower's character.
Ah ok, sorry for my misunderstanding. I'll keep an eye out for those then moving forward! Many thanks :cool:

I've recently started tracking this on my personal records, just to see how many I still need for each character. While I haven't really found a rhyme or reason as to what gets them to show up in towers, there is one oddity that I noticed: Having access to multiple consoles can affect what rewards are in towers.

I know this isn't a possibility for everyone, but we have a hardwired PS4 upstairs and a wifi ps4 downstairs. I mainly play upstairs, but I've noticed that, if I finish a tower upstairs and later look at the same tower downstairs, the rewards for the towers can change, on some occasions rewarding variation icons that simply were not showing while I was on the upstairs console.

The easiest towers to notice this on are the premier and co-op towers, obviously because they run longer. I've completed towers upstairs and then, a few hours later while downstairs, checked the same tower and saw icons and other rewards that were not available on my upstairs console. I've even finished the towers a second time downstairs, then gone back up and seen the rewards for the tower change yet again. But, if I'm upstairs, complete a tower and then come back to it upstairs and look at the same tower (even after powering off the console), the rewards are the same as they were after the first time I completed it.

Sorry that this is long and drawn out and probably doesn't help much, but it seems to me that the rewards for a given tower have a specific pool of rewards of which to choose from, where completing a tower forces the game to pull from the pool again. For whatever reason, it can't remember what rewards were pulled from if you use the same account on a different console. Some may be able to use that to their advantage to get rewards that they want.

Art Lean

Noob
So the game's been out over a year now, and aside from the ones for the new characters, I still don't have any additional white ones for any of the old characters since I posted this thread?

And yes, I still know they're stupid, but I'd like my MK2 Jade and MK2 Skarlet, both named 'Kahnum Assassin' variations to have the same tomoe symbol that's on their icons list, but only ever unlocked it for Jade.

Does everyone else still have just as many missing from their collections as me (I'd say for most characters I only have approx 35% of the white ones)?

The only halfway reliable way I found to get white icons, is in the premium towers which feature those dual character tag teams.
For whatever reason they show up there as normal difficulty rewards when you finish them, usually for the character you had to play in them.

For red and yellow icons, I only ever see those randomly appearing after clearing brutal difficulty either on the rightmost tower or on the hourly towers left to them. Usually on the last tower where you only have to do one fight.

I gotta say though I've grinded the shit out of Scorpion towers for a while when the game came out and have been playing the game a lot including ToT, and I'm still missing like 3 red icons and 7 yellow ones for Scorpion.

The whole reward structure in this game is garbage.

Only thing they somehow got right was Kombat League. You perform well, you get your shit.
In single player though: ???

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
They're RNG, so I mean after completing character towers the only thing you can do is either spend your precious time opening stupid chests in the krypt or do those boss towers where you get random gear and items for the character you're using (you also get more stuff if you beat it on brutal difficulty).