What's new

Is there an effective way to use ice clone vs teleports?

IlluvialCE

Ruler of the Skies
Title. I HIGHLY doubt anyone will take the time to talk about it (last comment on this board was 4 years ago lmaooooo) but I figured I'd ask just in case. The ice clone in this game is so unique and has made me fall in love with the character, so it always breaks my heart when I play anyone with a teleport (half the cast lmaoooooo) cause it makes ice clone shenanigans basically pointless and really limits how you can play the character.

Was there ever any neat tech or uses that people found for clones in those MUs? Sure getting them in the corner still nets you clone shenanigans off of a blocked 212 or something similar, but on hit it doesn't seem that you are ever safe to put one out. I've been trying vs AI to test stuff out and no matter what I do to knock an opponent down in the corner (be it 222 or something else) they always seem to be able to wakeup and punish with teleport before I recover from creating a clone. If you can get the clone out then of course you can bait teleports and it becomes a fun mindgame, but I'm really not sure how to make them useful outside of very niche corner scenarios due to midscreen clone being pretty terrible and creating clones after knockdown seems impossible for the most part.

Been really fun labbing this character and learning the game over the past couple weeks, I'm glad I finally gave the game a proper shot!

Last edited:

mrapchem

Noob
Title. I HIGHLY doubt anyone will take the time to talk about it (last comment on this board was 4 years ago lmaooooo) but I figured I'd ask just in case. The ice clone in this game is so unique and has made me fall in love with the character, so it always breaks my heart when I play anyone with a teleport (half the cast lmaoooooo) cause it makes ice clone shenanigans basically pointless and really limits how you can play the character.

Was there ever any neat tech or uses that people found for clones in those MUs? Sure getting them in the corner still nets you clone shenanigans off of a blocked 212 or something similar, but on hit it doesn't seem that you are ever safe to put one out. I've been trying vs AI to test stuff out and no matter what I do to knock an opponent down in the corner (be it 222 or something else) they always seem to be able to wakeup and punish with teleport before I recover from creating a clone. If you can get the clone out then of course you can bait teleports and it becomes a fun mindgame, but I'm really not sure how to make them useful outside of very niche corner scenarios due to midscreen clone being pretty terrible and creating clones after knockdown seems impossible for the most part.

Been really fun labbing this character and learning the game over the past couple weeks, I'm glad I finally gave the game a proper shot!
Honestly, it depends on who the teleporting character is. If it's someone like Raiden, the clone can be quite useful in the midscreen only. After a knockdown, you can put up a clone and then walk in front of it, and if the Raiden teleports, he'll likely teleport right into the clone. Or if he attacks you, you can block and he'll advance directly into the clone.

However, if the teleporting character is like a Smoke, Kung Lao or someone like that, then Heaven help you...your clone is nearly useless against them. You might get lucky and get a freeze off one when they jump in on you occasionally, but as far as stopping them in the neutral or cornering them, good luck!

My favorite character of all time/main character in every single MK is Sub-Zero. Having said that, in MK9, it is quite useful to play other characters that cover your main's bad matchups if they have any.

IlluvialCE

Ruler of the Skies
My favorite character of all time/main character in every single MK is Sub-Zero. Having said that, in MK9, it is quite useful to play other characters that cover your main's bad matchups if they have any.
Yea, considering that the game is dead I don't feel too bad about not having a counter pick at the ready. I'll just have to deal with the bad MUs as they come, which is fine cause I know what to expect.

Kenshi and Kung genuinely make me wanna quit out of the game tho cause holy FUCK its just like they're playing a completely different game from you lol

mrapchem

Noob
Yea, considering that the game is dead I don't feel too bad about not having a counter pick at the ready. I'll just have to deal with the bad MUs as they come, which is fine cause I know what to expect.

Kenshi and Kung genuinely make me wanna quit out of the game tho cause holy FUCK its just like they're playing a completely different game from you lol
Yes indeed, Kenshi, Kung Lao, and the other top 5 characters indeed played their own game!! But alas, you can somewhat counterpick both of them. Noob and Scorpion don't do too badly against him, though they lose the matchup and Kung Lao loses to Kitana, Cage and a few other characters last time I checked.

IlluvialCE

Ruler of the Skies
Yes indeed, Kenshi, Kung Lao, and the other top 5 characters indeed played their own game!! But alas, you can somewhat counterpick both of them. Noob and Scorpion don't do too badly against him, though they lose the matchup and Kung Lao loses to Kitana, Cage and a few other characters last time I checked.
I really enjoy Jax in this game and he seems to cover up almost all of Sub's 7-3 and 8-2 MUs so if the game ever gets a full on remaster I'll definitely play him as a pocket. Until then I'll stick with everyone's favorite freezy boi

Thank you so much for your insight by the way, can't thank you enough!

mrapchem

Noob
I really enjoy Jax in this game and he seems to cover up almost all of Sub's 7-3 and 8-2 MUs so if the game ever gets a full on remaster I'll definitely play him as a pocket. Until then I'll stick with everyone's favorite freezy boi

Thank you so much for your insight by the way, can't thank you enough!
No problem! I love MK9 and it's always good to talk to a fellow Sub-Zero main. I'm happy that I was able to give some insight on the ways of the Ice Clone.