What's new

Question Is there a right or wrong way to play Nightwing?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I see so many people mention how well murk switched stances against Syknis yet on KTP Slips said he might have switched too much but he learned a lot.

I beat FK with j3 and j3 wing dings and sparks while I beat KDZ getting a life lead in escrima and defending it with staff.

Is escrima better due to interactables? Or is the goal always to get them to the corner and switch to staff?

Could escrima be better in the corner?

Why is BA the only character that can't be FK crossed up!!!!! Is there a wrong way to play?

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Not a nightwing player, but to me there is a way that works and a way that doesn't work, not so much right and wrong.

Chimbz

I named my dick Grayson
I find escrima to have better corner game than staff. I personally stay in escrima much more than staff. There are certain MUs in which I mainly use staff such as AM (when I have the life lead) and DD. I can't think of that many MUs where I use staff more than escrima. But heck! Who am I to say, I've never been at a tournament...

I see so many people mention how well murk switched stances against Syknis yet on KTP Slips said he might have switched too much but he learned a lot.

I beat FK with j3 and j3 wing dings and sparks while I beat KDZ getting a life lead in escrima and defending it with staff.

Is escrima better due to interactables? Or is the goal always to get them to the corner and switch to staff?

Why is BA the only character that can't be FK crossed up!!!!! Is there a wrong way to play?
We could just make a chart of the pros and cons of each stance:)

In My personal opinion it really depends on the matchup and how you yourself feels comfortable. That is the glorious thing about this game and with Nightwing in general, everyone uses him differently. No offense to Slips but he doesn't play the character so how could he know what he's talking about. I thought Murk did awesome in the match vs syknis and it obviously worked.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
The wrong way to play Nightwing is the way Fly plays him :DOGE
Too soon? Naaaa go in!

Yes. It's called Damian Wayne
:DOGE
I approve of this message...but I also approve of Damian!

All those scumbag BA players...:REO
Yea...screw you

I would say playing Nightwing period is the wrong way to play.
Ok...enough

Now that the trolls have had their fun lol. Anyone else?

BrobaChett

GODSTOMPER
I really wish I could use this character but I struggle so much using him. I have a hard time opening people up with him in Escrima stance, but if I switch to staff, I get bodied by interactables. I think it's personally just me being stupid and not switching around as much since I rarely use this character. I'll stick to good ol' Barry Allen.

IMO there is no right or wrong way to play this character. I give everyone in the NW community huge props for sticking with this character. Every NW I've ever fought plays differently and I think that is what is really awesome about the DICK.

Last edited:

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I think understanding both stances and when to use them is more important than anything.

Like most people would argue that staff would be better in certain MUs, but some players are more familiar with dealing with staff, so escrima might be better against them. Even though traditionally staff may be better, if your opponent is worse against escrima and you recognize that then that's more important IMO.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think that NW blows up wakeups easier than 90% of the cast. I think that he is built like a knock down character with normals that space him the way Kitana spaced herself in mk9. @GGA 16 Bit knows what I mean by that. Just my opinion.

On a hard knockdown, his oki is one of the best in game with smart use of flip kick and his massive ranged f3 in escrima. Ground pound stuffs just about everything from the right distance. This character has some of the most impressive momentum to me. I have almost only been working on knockdown setups for a while now. Combos do not matter in this game. The damage will come if you can keep the knockdown guessing game. And his pressure can feel like batmans if done well...block for days. That is fun to me

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser

I thought it didn't cross up Grundy either...maybe I'm wrong

AssassiN

Noob
Why is BA the only character that can't be FK crossed up!!!!!
Made a list in the beginning of the game.
Flipkick does not cross-up against Grundy, against BA it will not cross-up MOST of the time but sometimes it will(totally random).
Against Sinesetro it will or it won't based on the distance/string.

Totally with what you are comfortable with, but utilization of both stances is important.
Cannot rely on one stance against every single character in the game.
I prefer Escrima in the corner while another will prefer Staff. Neither is wrong and has it's own dirt.

I don't think Murk switched too much, he kept changing his styles and mix-ups.
Does not give an inexperienced opponent the time to learn one mix-up when he is using a completely different one 2 sec later.

7L

Heads up!
I feel it's match up based. Against arrow I feel that he shuts down arrow more so in staff stance but arrow can at least compete with him in escr stance. Not 100% sure though lol.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
You guys need to start spamming the x2 D2 shenanigans in the corner in Escrima.
Real talk.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Also it depends on the MU whether you should go for Escrima or Staff.
Personally I prefer playing in staff 90% of the time but offline I only play against BA and used to play against GL so I have to be in Escrima more.

ZOOM

Noob
Everyone has their own ways to play their own Character.

The problem that most people have is that they don't take advantage of their strengths and they don't try to cover up their weaknesses along the process.

I don't believe there is a right/wrong way to play your main, but there's a right/wrong way to play the game and to play match ups.