What's new

Is there a reason Erron's DOT acid will kill but DOT KBs do not?

I'm just curious if anyone at NRS has said anything about this or if anyone in the community has asked them about it. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The argument can certainly be made that it's harder to land a DOT Krushing Blow than it is for Erron Black to get this acid out.

I'm just curious if anyone at NRS has said anything about this or if anyone in the community has asked them about it. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The argument can certainly be made that it's harder to land a DOT Krushing Blow than it is for Erron Black to get this acid out.
Because even tough both are DOT, the mechanic is different. Usually in games DOT hits are supposed to deal more damage than a raw dmg, with the downside that it's not lethal (DOT KB would fall under this category).
On the other hand, Erron, Jacqui Next Gen DOT, does not deal raw damage, is pure unblockable DOT. If they are non lethal, these kind of moves would be completely useless when oppnt has low life. So even both moves have a DOT part, they work different.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Same reason why Scarecrow's and Black Adam's traits could kill, while Harley's play doctor could not: mystery
The reason for that is because once you are hit by a move that causes a set % of DOT that damage is completely inescapable while with EB's acid and other such things there are ways for you to avoid it, somewhat.
I.E, if Baraka hits you with his Gutted KB you will take 10% DOT damage guaranteed every time, while EB's acid can deal up to 10% damage, IF you stand on it all the way through.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
I wouldn’t really even consider acid a DOT in the classic sense of a move that hits you and then continues to inflict damage. It’s more of a ground proximity damage thing.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
There are normal moves that do damage all instantly then there is DoT(Damage Over Time) which does the same damage a normal special move would but over the course of several seconds typically around 10%.

There are different types of DOT:
  • Proximity
  • Marked
Proximity DOT is the kind that has an area of effect that inflicts damage to you when you are in that area.

Marked DOT is like a poison. Once you get marked you can't escape the damage its guaranteed.

Marked is the kind that won't kill you because they are stacked on top of full combo like Barakas 40-50% combos plus Mark DOT(+10%).

Proximity is the kind that does kill. This is probably because this type is not guaranteed since you have ways to escape it like: jumping out, Fatal Blow removes it, KB removes it.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I wouldn’t really even consider acid a DOT in the classic sense of a move that hits you and then continues to inflict damage. It’s more of a ground proximity damage thing.
It is DOT (Damage Over Time) but there are different types of dot.
Proximity(escapable) Erron Acid & poison/mark(permanent) Baraka Gutted KB