What's new

Is the wakeup system too strong?

Should wakeups get nerfed?

• Total voters

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Do you think the wakeup system is too strong?

1 - u3
2 - u2
3 - forward roll
4 - roll backwards
5 - instant wakeup buttons/jumping
6 - short delayed wakeup
7 - long delayed wakeup

Too many options?

Yeah, there are way too many things you can do. Compare to say street fighter all you can do is delay and wake up really

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Nerfing Wakeup system of Jump attacks for the matter won't do any good in the game either, costumers will always recur to the next worst thing and will just keep damaging the game.
The wakeup system from MK11 it's really well thought out, while it has its flaws and there are things you can bypass like low profile a mid wakeup move with a low, jump on an angle a wakeup u3 and u2 doesn't even reach given that the window to execute every single wakeup is no more and no less than the same, seeing ppl crying over defensive options, when you can bait them to spend a bar and start your offense at will it's just...

Anyway, the simple answer is no

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There are things that counter multiple wakeup options at once, so it’s never really a 7-way guess.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Over 20 invincible frames while getting up. Really curious who thought this was a good idea.
this is also a wrong statement
The MK11 wakeup system has 1 fully invincible move which is U3, and they can't delay where they are going to activate it either.
Rolls are strike invincible only and you can grab them. and U2 doesn't have invincibility frames.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I think the instant wake up jump shouldn't be as strong as it currently is. There's plenty of wake up options already. Not only jumping out with little risk and no use of resources but also gaining the offense in most situations is stupid.

Wigy

There it is...
Way too many invincible frames standing up.

There should be a lot more risk to wakeup buttons.

Wigy

There it is...
this is also a wrong statement
The MK11 wakeup system has 1 fully invincible move which is U3, and they can't delay where they are going to activate it either.
Rolls are strike invincible only and you can grab them. and U2 doesn't have invincibility frames.
He's talking about the actual frames in standing up where you get off the ground and onto your feet and are invincible the whole duration. These ambiguous long invincible frames make it really tricky to time a perfect meaty.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I think the instant wake up jump shouldn't be as strong as it currently is. There's plenty of wake up options already. Not only jumping out with little risk and no use of resources but also gaining the offense in most situations is stupid.
It’s up to you to blow them up for it. If you keep jumping on wakeup that’s a full combo for me.

Wigy

There it is...
It’s up to you to blow them up for it. If you keep jumping on wakeup that’s a full combo for me.
Issue is unless you land a perfect meaty which is very hard in this game so many strings just completely drop on jumping opponents, often gets you full punished depending on the string.

Let's not do the 'git gud' line. I see plenty of pro players jumping on wakeup. It's not a matter of no counterplay, it's just roll, wakeup buttons and wakeup jump etc with the amount of guesswork shut down most offensive momentum.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
He's talking about the actual frames in standing up where you get off the ground and onto your feet and are invincible the whole duration. These ambiguous long invincible frames make it really tricky to time a perfect meaty.
oh, yeah, that should definitely be looked at

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Issue is unless you land a perfect meaty which is very hard in this game so many strings just completely drop on jumping opponents, often gets you full punished depending on the string.

Let's not do the 'git gud' line. I see plenty of pro players jumping on wakeup. It's not a matter of no counterplay, it's just roll, wakeup buttons and wakeup jump etc with the amount of guesswork shut down most offensive momentum.
I don’t need to commit to a full string. I can jab you into AA combo and still have time to do something else if you didn’t jump.

Of course you can jump sometimes if you read that your opponent is committed to scouting something else, etc. But it’s no more abuseable than any other wakeup option. If you do it repeatedly good players will take a third of your lifebar for it.

gitblame

Noob
Wake up system in this game is one huge mess. Let's say someone is trying to pressure you on your knockdown. You can beat him in multiple ways - U3, jump, roll,, delayed wakeup into buttons, delayed wakeup into interactable, etc. And attacker if he wants to beat your wakeup option, he needs to exactly guess what you are going to do. That's messed up.
Rolls seems to be too good now. The only real counterplay to rolls is throw and they are incredibly risky play. Forward roll is too cheap for me. It's as offensive move as it is defensive. It should require offensive stamina too. I hate that you can delay your wakeup still when you don't have any defensive meter. So I broke away my oponent's combo and I still can force him to guess what I am going to do on wakeup? Everything about it just sets alarms in my head.

If wakeup system is too strong, explain why pros choose NOT TO WAKE UP way more often (watch recent tournaments, you'll see)
Wake up into buttons is not considered a wake up. It's where the aggressor messed up and mistime the meaty complete.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
The game is just strike/throw generally I don't understand why there needs to be such huge options for wakeup especially because there's not a lot dirty mixups. This isn't mkx where this wakeup system would of helped.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Wake up system in this game is one huge mess. Let's say someone is trying to pressure you on your knockdown. You can beat him in multiple ways - U3, jump, roll,, delayed wakeup into buttons, delayed wakeup into interactable, etc. And attacker if he wants to beat your wakeup option, he needs to exactly guess what you are going to do. That's messed up.
Rolls seems to be too good now. The only real counterplay to rolls is throw and they are incredibly risky play. Forward roll is too cheap for me. It's as offensive move as it is defensive. It should require offensive stamina too. I hate that you can delay your wakeup still when you don't have any defensive meter. So I broke away my oponent's combo and I still can force him to guess what I am going to do on wakeup? Everything about it just sets alarms in my head.
Neutral jump punch will full combo a roll, also you can wait a split second to see if they roll and attack them, in addition to throw. There’s a reason you don’t see that many rolls in high level play.

Most of the complaints are from people who don’t want to think/react and just want to mash something out every time they knock their opponent down.

Wigy

There it is...
I don’t need to commit to a full string. I can jab you into AA combo and still have time to do something else if you didn’t jump.

Of course you can jump sometimes if you read that your opponent is committed to scouting something else, etc. But it’s no more abuseable than any other wakeup option. If you do it repeatedly good players will take a third of your lifebar for it.
Jabbing on knockdown means a hard read and giving up any pressure if you're wrong.

It's just a little too good for such a high reward option when you're meant to be holding shit. That's my opinion obviously of how Oki should play but jumping should basically be a non option unless you're hard reading a grab.

Doesn't help jump kicks are stupid in this game.

Slymind

Noob
It's one of my favorite things about this game, making reads be It by the attacker or the defender once someone hits the ground. There is no free card out of jail, should the attacker do the right read, you will be punished and lose resources for nothing, it's a very satisfying system for me.