What's new

Is the Shirai Ryu getting shafted... again?

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
It's crazy given how popular Scorpion is and how much NRS uses him for marketing, how terrified they seem to be of giving him any actual content in the games (other than cosmetics).

As far as characters: even if we only look at the reboot, every other faction has tons of playable characters as current or former members, who have history and banter with one another. The Lin Kuei, for example, has Sub-Zero, Frost, Noob (all in MK11), Smoke, Sektor, Cyrax, and potentially even Triborg if he's canon. That's either six or seven characters! Meanwhile, Takeda is literally the only other playable character except Scorpion to have ever been in the Shirai Ryu, and he's not even in MK11. Now that character interactions provide so much depth to the game, between pre-battle dialogues and story mode, this makes me really sad for Mr. Hasashi. :(

As far as stages: every other faction has tons of stages to call home. The Lin Kuei has two in the reboot alone, most have three or four. Shirai Ryu has ZERO. Not just in the reboot, in the HISTORY of MK.

It's too late to do anything but hope for MK11, but I do hope that one of the unrevealed stages will give Master Hasashi a home once and for all. How cool would it be to get the Shirai Ryu training grounds from the MKX comics?

Just a peaceful Japanese/Chinese style home in the Himalayan mountains. Or a new home in Japan, as befits the clan's origins. Golden rays of sunshine falling into a wooden panel dojo, with a tranquil garden outdoors. There's so much destruction in this game already it would be so nice to have a stage or two that have a meditative mood.

What do you guys think?

kantboy-2

Ripper
I always thought the Dead Woods was the pathway to the Shirai Ryu village, with all the swords, armor and wolves hanging around.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
I always thought the Dead Woods was the pathway to the Shirai Ryu village, with all the swords, armor and wolves hanging around.
Maybe you already know this but it was actually the path to the Sky Temple and Jinsei Chamber.

Adding more to the Shirai Ryu representation in MK games... I think the reason why there's not a whole lot of stuff related to it in the games is because it has admittedly been a relatively minor faction for all these years, just a part of Scorpion's backstory and nothing more. I don't think it was officially named until MK Deception? It was only in MKX they were brought back and introduced as another relevant faction in full, and had another character from it added. Lin Kuei, Black Dragon, SF, they have all been established since day 1 and have had a much longer period of time to be developed and more characters from them added.