What's new

Is the game dying already?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Good. Not everything in the world needs to be "endlessly replayable". Sometimes its nice to just beat something, and be done with it.
I think replay value is misunderstood a lot. Games I think of with good replay value are like 10-20 hour, tight, well designed experiences that are replayable because the gameplay loop is so well designed. Some games claim replay value, but a lot of the time it’s slop like invasions.

Good. Not everything in the world needs to be "endlessly replayable". Sometimes its nice to just beat something, and be done with it.
No, but it always felt like more could be done with it.

I'm also not saying Invasions is that way, though they clearly were trying something there.

I think replay value is misunderstood a lot.
Oh agreed. Look at Halo. Most of the Campaigns are ~10 hours even on harder difficulties, but the gameplay loop is fantastic and you want to play it again and again and again.

smaddy

I'm your huckleberry
I think replay value is misunderstood a lot. Games I think of with good replay value are like 10-20 hour, tight, well designed experiences that are replayable because the gameplay loop is so well designed. Some games claim replay value, but a lot of the time it’s slop like invasions.
I actually find most modern games unreplayable, but that's mostly due to length. I love the new God of War games, or Ghost of Tsushima, etc. but I just can't go back and play a 30 to 50 hour game again. I still do a ton of retro gaming and find myself returning to Castlevania, Bionic Commando, Mega Man 2 much more for replayability. I just feel like retro game have a much more endlessly replayable feel.

As far as what I would have wanted from MK1, I also could have lived with Story, Towers and Online but online really should have Lobbies and X-Play. Lobbies particularly as if you want to play a friend right now, its private match and then you're penalized character XP wise for playing a friend as you don't earn it in a private match. Lobbies would resolve that easy.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Oh agreed. Look at Halo. Most of the Campaigns are ~10 hours even on harder difficulties, but the gameplay loop is fantastic and you want to play it again and again and again.
Perfect example. Halo 1 (and all of them to varying degrees) has such good level design and enemy layout, the encounters are so well tuned and dynamic that you’re encouraged to replay on legendary if you can hack it, try out new weapons since every gun is viable in that game, and take new routes through arenas. It’s replay-able for individual levels too. Sometimes I have an hour to kill and will fire up Two Betrayals or Truth and Reconciliation because it plays differently every time and I’ve played that game like 50 times I shit you not.
I actually find most modern games unreplayable, but that's mostly due to length. I love the new God of War games, or Ghost of Tsushima, etc. but I just can't go back and play a 30 to 50 hour game again. I still do a ton of retro gaming and find myself returning to Castlevania, Bionic Commando, Mega Man 2 much more for replayability. I just feel like retro game have a much more endlessly replayable feel.

As far as what I would have wanted from MK1, I also could have lived with Story, Towers and Online but online really should have Lobbies and X-Play. Lobbies particularly as if you want to play a friend right now, its private match and then you're penalized character XP wise for playing a friend as you don't earn it in a private match. Lobbies would resolve that easy.
I agree. Games like Ghost, Jedi Survivor, and other games are only replayable on new game plus since you can just beeline down the main story, and I actually loved the Ghost side missions. It’s too much of a time commitment especially since a lot of those bloated runtimes are scripted events that are mind blowing the first time, but agonizing on replays.

I thought about replaying GOW Ragnarok, which I think has very good actual combat mechanics, then I remembered the 2 hour section where you aren’t even Kratos, you’re the whiny bitch son, riding on an animal slower than a turtle, collecting fruit, and I just can’t do it lmao.

I think these narrative games have a place and I greatly enjoy a lot of them, but in terms of replay-ability I prefer the Halo, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, route.

Perfect example. Halo 1 (and all of them to varying degrees) has such good level design and enemy layout, the encounters are so well tuned and dynamic that you’re encouraged to replay on legendary if you can hack it, try out new weapons since every gun is viable in that game, and take new routes through arenas. It’s replay-able for individual levels too. Sometimes I have an hour to kill and will fire up Two Betrayals or Truth and Reconciliation because it plays differently every time and I’ve played that game like 50 times I shit you not.

I agree. Games like Ghost, Jedi Survivor, and other games are only replayable on new game plus since you can just beeline down the main story, and I actually loved the Ghost side missions. It’s too much of a time commitment especially since a lot of those bloated runtimes are scripted events that are mind blowing the first time, but agonizing on replays.

I thought about replaying GOW Ragnarok, which I think has very good actual combat mechanics, then I remembered the 2 hour section where you aren’t even Kratos, you’re the whiny bitch son, riding on an animal slower than a turtle, collecting fruit, and I just can’t do it lmao.

I think these narrative games have a place and I greatly enjoy a lot of them, but in terms of replay-ability I prefer the Halo, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, route.

Capcom supremecy. All Resident Evils are replayable as fuck. Literally my last childhood series to be still putting out full length repayable bangers. I'm one of the minority that even enjoyed 5&6. Same goes for DMC, but I didn't get into those until DMC3.

I'm in the same boat as both of you. Prefer short to medium games with great mechanics that I'll wanna play again, vs something like RDR or AC that feels like it lasts forever and is rarely exciting.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Capcom supremecy. All Resident Evils are repayable as fuck. Literally my last childhood series to be still putting out full length repayable bangers. I'm one of the minority that even enjoyed 5&6. Same goes for DMC, but I didn't get into those until DMC3.

I'm in the same boat as both of you. Prefer short to medium games with great mechanics that I'll wanna play again, vs something like RDR or AC that feels like it lasts forever and is rarely exciting.
RE5 is one of the best co-op games ever made, 6 has its moments even though it’s not my fav. Every Resident Evil game is a blast to replay and I’m not even a survival horror guy really, but they’re just such well made games for the most part. Well made and polished, makes me feel a lot less forgiving of WB slop like suicide squad. Every DMC game is great aside from 2 and reboot. DMC and RE have so much character compared to a game like MK which is unfortunate.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Steam Charts are updated for January. Maybe Christmas sales kept numbers somewhat steady during the holidays but dropped back off.

Capcom supremecy. All Resident Evils are replayable as fuck. Literally my last childhood series to be still putting out full length repayable bangers. I'm one of the minority that even enjoyed 5&6. Same goes for DMC, but I didn't get into those until DMC3.

Hell yeah man, the RE games’ replayability is unmatched. I could boot up RE4 or RE2Remake for the 3rd time and still discover something new. Wanna replay RE1remake but the backtracking is absolutely brutal, game is a masterpiece otherwise though

RE5 is one of the best co-op games ever made, 6 has its moments even though it’s not my fav. Every Resident Evil game is a blast to replay and I’m not even a survival horror guy really, but they’re just such well made games for the most part. Well made and polished, makes me feel a lot less forgiving of WB slop like suicide squad. Every DMC game is great aside from 2 and reboot. DMC and RE have so much character compared to a game like MK which is unfortunate.
Oh, I'm a survival horror guy. Uge, some people, I've heard them saying I'm the biggest survival horror guy. It's true. Silent Hill, Condemned, Stalker, Pokémon Black and White 2, BioShock, Dead Space, Evil Within, Outlast, Dino Crisis and even the Turok.

Tbh, a big reason I got into Mk growing up was because of the horror/gore theme.

Fantastic Capcom spooky game taste, though.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Oh, I'm a survival horror guy. Uge, some people, I've heard them saying I'm the biggest survival horror guy. It's true. Silent Hill, Condemned, Stalker, Pokémon Black and White 2, BioShock, Dead Space, Evil Within, Outlast, Dino Crisis and even the Turok.

Tbh, a big reason I got into Mk growing up was because of the horror/gore theme.

Fantastic Capcom spooky game taste, though.
I need some form of engaging combat system, so I’m more of an action horror guy, so games like RE4 and the remake, RE5, RE8, BioShock, and Dead Space appeal to me more than Outlast with no combat or Evil Within with shitty combat. I still played and really enjoyed RE2 Remake and to a slightly lesser degree RE7 because they’re just so well made that even if it’s not my preferred type of horror game, I still liked it. I just have to be in the mood for those games, but the above ones I can just pop in and play especially both versions of RE4 and Dead Space.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Another miserable thing happening in these days, some ppl trying to explain why NRS devs can't communicate easily because of WB business model, this is another pure BS imo because as much as i remember Tyler, Dominic and some others felt so damn comfortable and free to communicate while insulting some fans whose complanied about some character desings, story and gameplay elements in the past right? Speak with your mind... Stop making excuses for them, those are the ppl who made this game. i also don't think there is such a business model like this;

- hey, we want to fix that Sheeva stomp issue
WB executive; what the fukk is Sheeva stomp dude?
- the stomp that causes the trouble?
WB executive; you better visit account Manager.
- Account Manager?
WB executive; yes, account manager then you should visit cargo manager.
- Why?
WB executive; just do that, stop asking questions. Also you better explain Sheeva stomp before talking to them.
- Alright, damn.

it took 6 months to fix that broken move because of WB business model like this? C'mon

Last edited:

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
This thread accurately summed up in about four and a half minutes by someone who obviously has no malice toward the game or its community...

I know I will get hate for this, but..... this is exactly what I have been thinking for years. They really don't give a shit about competitions. This is not a competitive game - it is a money making exercise. It is all about gore, fatalities and casual play. I think the last of these they failed on this one - the gameplay is great, but the casual content is a piece of rat shit. SF and Tekken are far superior in the latter for the first time. This is what has shocked me.

The fact that people think this is some serious fighting game rather than a fun, frivolous, mildly competitive game has always baffled me. They have made a fuck tonne of money. and that is all that matters to them.

If you want a competitive game, play the street fighter (I have no clue about Tekken because I have not played it since T3 and I thought it was boringt). If you want something mindless, pretty and a bit of dumb fun... play MK.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The old paying $60 or $70 and getting it all days are fading rapidly and unfortunately will continue to.
Really the only company/devs that I’ve seen that still offer an amazing quality product and don’t charge extra except for DLC, and the DLC is also actually worth it and not just a part of the game they already made and just locked behind an additional paywall is FromSoftware. Which is just another reason FromSoft is my all time favorite game development and publishing company. But that’s a whole nother topic entirely.
I know I will get hate for this, but..... this is exactly what I have been thinking for years. They really don't give a shit about competitions. This is not a competitive game - it is a money making exercise. It is all about gore, fatalities and casual play. I think the last of these they failed on this one - the gameplay is great, but the casual content is a piece of rat shit. SF and Tekken are far superior in the latter for the first time. This is what has shocked me.

The fact that people think this is some serious fighting game rather than a fun, frivolous, mildly competitive game has always baffled me. They have made a fuck tonne of money. and that is all that matters to them.

If you want a competitive game, play the street fighter (I have no clue about Tekken because I have not played it since T3 and I thought it was boringt). If you want something mindless, pretty and a bit of dumb fun... play MK.
I literally keep saying this but no one listens I guess. I’ve said this several times in this thread and nearly a hundred over the past decade or so, lol

I literally keep saying this but no one listens I guess. I’ve said this several times in this thread and nearly a hundred over the past decade or so, lol
Probably the reason I'm enjoying myself as much as I am is because I'm not playing competitively. I decided I was going to go full casual before launch.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Another miserable thing happening in these days, some ppl trying to explain why NRS devs can't communicate easily because of WB business model, this is another pure BS imo because as much as i remember Tyler, Dominic and some others felt so damn comfortable and free to communicate while insulting some fans whose complanied about some character desings, story and gameplay elements in the past right? Speak with your mind... Stop making excuses for them, those are the ppl who made this game. i also don't think there is such a business model like this;

- hey, we want to fix that Sheeva stomp issue
WB executive; what the fukk is Sheeva stomp dude?
- the stomp that causes the trouble?
WB executive; you better visit account Manager.
- Account Manager?
WB executive; yes, account manager then you should visit cargo manager.
- Why?
WB executive; just do that, stop asking questions. Also you better explain Sheeva stomp before talking to them.
- Alright, damn.

it took 6 months to fix that broken move because of WB business model like this? C'mon
Nice memes

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm

I don't agree with this at all. MKX and Injustice 2 had year long, competitive Pro Tours with real money on the line. I think it's really reductive to say that it's just a, "lolz, gore" series when MKX and MK11 received multiple balance patches specifically geared toward competitive balance.

If there was absolutely no desire by NRS to make their games competitive, why even bother buffing things like on block frames, armor start ups, cool downs on move, i. e. competitive minutia that only nerds in the FGC care about.

This thread accurately summed up in about four and a half minutes by someone who obviously has no malice toward the game or its community...

Yea I don’t know how I didn’t see it sooner. It maybe since I’m older now and time flies by faster. Less than 2 years of support and then dropping a new game with completely new game mechanics is absolutely not conducive to helping grow a stable competitive scene. Now, I am much more leaning towards a legacy system where instead they perfect game mechanics, consistently increase the roster size, as well as further flesh out existing character archetypes and move sets.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I don't agree with this at all. MKX and Injustice 2 had year long, competitive Pro Tours with real money on the line. I think it's really reductive to say that it's just a, "lolz, gore" series when MKX and MK11 received multiple balance patches specifically geared toward competitive balance.

If there was absolutely no desire by NRS to make their games competitive, why even bother buffing things like on block frames, armor start ups, cool downs on move, i. e. competitive minutia that only nerds in the FGC care about.
I don’t think there’s zero desire, but they also have no incentive to at the same time. At least not to the same degree as pretty much any other FG. This is why I say we are lucky that NRS does anything that they do for the competitive community. Whether that’s making a decently competitive game with a decently balanced roster, coming out with balance patches, and hosting tournaments/tours or contributing to pot bonuses. People will call me a shill for saying all this but it’s just true. That isn’t marketing for them like it’d be for other FG’s. They could not do any of that and it wouldn’t really effect sales all that much. Just based on the fact that 99% of the player/consumer base are casuals.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I've been advocating for legacy. But majority of the scene dislikes it. They even joke about street fighter and Tekken for having it and call the games boring "same moves" NRS Tried this method with injustice 2.

This is where this opinion formed and one of the reasons injustice 2 fizzled. Hopefully they learn and stop listening to the mob because it's on us as well. Now the reason why I say that is because after MKX there was a thread on this site and it was titled "do you want variations to return?" Or something like that and ppl were advocating about brining them back and sure enough NRS did with mk11 ( I was against it BTW in the thread)

I really hope mk goes the legacy route in the future but the real question is which mk game should be the foundation? Mk9 MKXL mk11 or mk1?

Thoughts?

because after MKX there was a thread on this site and it was titled "do you want variations to return?" Or something like that and ppl were advocating about brining them back and sure enough NRS did with mk11
I remember that thread. I also wasn't keen with how Variations were handled in Mortal Kombat 11. I found Mortal Kombat XL to have the best of that system.

I really hope mk goes the legacy route in the future but the real question is which mk game should be the foundation? Mk9 MKXL mk11 or mk1?
If they did so, the answer to your question would vary wildly based on personal opinion, preference, and nostalgia.

This thread is fucking awful and so many of you are detached from reality. Go the fuck outside. Y'all are a fucking joke, hollering "dead game" like a bunch of disabled parrots.
Cope harder my man. I love this franchise as much as anyone else. And I will continue to support it though online tournaments. But the game is most certainly dying.

Attachments