What's new

Is the game dying already?

There’s a very common sentiment in the NRS community right now: Mortal Kombat 1 is dying.
I’m seeing it on gamefaqs, Reddit,and there are plenty of YouTube videos covering it.

I’m baffled but simultaneously unsurprised. It was released with plenty of flaws, many still present. Discussion about it is fading and ktber fighting games are dominating discussions. It’s certainly the quickest I’ve dropped and MK title and I’m sure many feel the same way.

haketh

Noob
It is absolutely not dying, please pay more attention to growing events & people actually playing the game than people seeing easy content growth through dooming. Theirs lots of improvements to be made to the QOL of the game but I’m sure we’ll be getting that.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I've seen three stacked tournaments already this week.. This isn't what I imagined death looking like :coffee:

I remember watching people say the same things about Injustice, a game that had a very vibrant competitive scene. So I think at some point you have to ignore the noise and just let the competition speak for itself.

Unfortunately it most certainly is although not as fast as some people make it seem. Just look at twitch viewership numbers; most nights including weekends, we are below 1k total views. Ontop of that combo breaker entrant numbers are embarrassingly low for a game that came out only 4 months ago.

A lot of people like to blame the “bad” community and top players for this but this is mostly due to NRSs incompetence in shipping out a half baked game littered with bugs and missing the most basic functionalities. And then to top it off, they have the most horrendous communication or should I say lack of with community that supports them unconditionally.

With that being said, I am not advocating for people to drop the game like some have suggested. I personally enjoy the game and hope more people play and support the competitive community.

I just don’t see how someone could possibly deny it is dying when comparing it to previous nrs title launches. The writing is on the wall

Hot_DNA

Noob
Unfortunately it most certainly is although not as fast as some people make it seem. Just look at twitch viewership numbers; most nights including weekends, we are below 1k total views. Ontop of that combo breaker entrant numbers are embarrassingly low for a game that came out only 4 months ago.

A lot of people like to blame the “bad” community and top players for this but this is mostly due to NRSs incompetence in shipping out a half baked game littered with bugs and missing the most basic functionalities. And then to top it off, they have the most horrendous communication or should I say lack of with community that supports them unconditionally.

With that being said, I am not advocating for people to drop the game like some have suggested. I personally enjoy the game and hope more people play and support the competitive community.

I just don’t see how someone could possibly deny it is dying when comparing it to previous nrs title launches. The writing is on the wall
Combo breaker or Frosty Faustings?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Nah but the lack of communication from NRS is alarming and concerning. Also you have to remember that NRS games are literally built not to last without their support. They make you rely on them to keep the game fresh and people interested. Which is why so many were talking so badly about the game just before Khameleon released and all those same people have been going crazy since her release. NRS has conditioned its consumer base very well, even the competitive community. There will be another lull after the hype from Khameleon dies down, people will be saying the same shit, then once the next DLC is released everyone will get hype again for a few weeks.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
It's very unfortunate timing for NRS that Tekken 8 is what, a week away? A game that looks fucking solid.

I know it's not a perfect Venn diagram for MK and Tekken players, farrrrr from it in fact, but for casuals and the broader/general FGC, that is going to eat MK1's lunch in terms of attention etc.

I do think a lot of people are in denial about how this game is fading tbh. The CB thing shows how much of a joke it is becoming.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Well, there are facts, and against them, you simply cannot argue against :

1) SF6 won GOTY , and proved to be a better game, at least, for the competitive scene, and attracted more attention, so is a huge natural competitor product against MK1

2) Tekken 8 is coming up, with promises of a great game, and so, will be another big dog competitor against MK1

3) MK1 is relying in disguting MTX and overpriced cosmetic stuff , boring Invasion mode, technicall issues already known, unbalanced kameo mechanics, lack of communication etc

Among others negatives points that the FGC already pointed out, so .....

The game is beautiful , but surely suffers from some bad stuff, so, fair enough all criticism so far, despite being only 4 months or so from the release date

SF6 and Tekken 8 surely were built to last , at least, 6 or so years of support from developers, while MK1, will follow the so predictable form , with developers telling (lying) about long support and all bla bla bla, but in the end, after 2 years, the game will be dead and the next product will come up , so, shame on NRS and WB as always

I would like to be wrong with this one, but ..... will happen exactly like the previous ones MK games, hehe ! ;)

Pitty ! :p

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest

F0xy has the best take on all this.

I really don't understand the blind support some people are giving this game. Put EVERYTHING aside gameplaywise (Invasions fucking SUCKS, the online is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, etc.) and just look at F0xy's point about the Pro Tour Skin. NRS/WB don't even value the pro scene enough to put ONE SKIN out that could fund a pro tour that top players would actually give a shit about participating in.

Compare this to what Namco has done and continues to do for Tekken and it's embarrassing. Same goes for Capcom.

NRS/WB couldn't give a single shit about their playerbase. The blind support for them is like some sort of abusive relationship situation.

molambo

(X ౪ X )
isnt the game still in the top played games list for xbox and ps5? steamcharts numbers are not great but that most likely due to tech issues and overall bad optimization which leads to a lot of people not being able to play it and the cut of the russian playerbase.

I really think that this game is garbage. Like, really and truthfully.

I know most of us here consider 100% of the game to be between "Round 1, Fight!" and "Finish Him!" but a video game is so much more than that. Gameplay is more than that. The current CoD has great movement, aiming feels intuitive, and the guns all feel pretty unique and fun, but like MK1, it's buggy. Spawns are awful, maps are pretty drab, everything cosmetic cost $20 or so.

What is my reward for getting Elder God in KL? Skins for the characters I don't use. Gear for the characters I don't use. Kombat Kards for characters I don't use. Invasions? Same thing.

That's gameplay, too. Part of the gameplay loop. It's ass.

And to be real, the gameplay isn't fun online, where most people play. The online is sooooo garbage. Not even mentioning desyncs. My wired matches with displayed 50ms ping feel like sludge at times, sometimes randomly just stop for full seconds, constantly feel choppy, and the 3ms baked in delay is just something hard to wrap my head around. When the online is like this, and the game is built around keeping things safe with Kameos, unblockable setups, and the neutral eliminating tools like Lao Hat, Kano Knives, etc, it's just kinda shitty feeling.

I want to love MK1 so badly, and I still play it a lot. I've got like 3500 games played, but this is the worst Mortal Kombat of the NRS Era.

I'm on Xbox and I play the same 5-10 people in Kasual and Ranked every day. To the point where I have an ongoing rivalry with a guy that I know I'll match with instantly if I go to Kasual Match around 5pm.

I think the game is dying in a way, but I just read someone say it's console numbers are still high? Everywhere I see discussion about the game, it's somewhat criticizing of it, at the least.

Dead may be relative. Can you get games online? Offline? Do people discuss it? Is it seen as modern? Is it popular? Is it praised? I think MK1 is only dead if you're talking about that last point, and it's maybe starting to become unpopular as well, but in other aspects, the game is alive and well.

rifraf

Noob
What is my reward for getting Elder God in KL?
Call me old fashioned but the reward for competing in fighting games imo, is dominating the competition and make it as high up the ladder as possible. Everything else is just the cherry on top. Personally, I could care less if Ranked had literally no "rewards".

Sorry for you putting you on the spot btw, it's not about you specifically, it's just something I've seen talked about before and I wanted to share my take on it.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Personally I think Foxy's video summarizes my own thoughts very well. The game has numerous flaws but it is nowhere near as dead people make it out to be, and people (like me) can enjoy the game while still addressing it's problems. And again, its completely fine if someone is not having fun with it to just play something else.

LEGEND

YES!
Every new fighting game gets an influx of people that inevitably get smashed to pieces and quit cause they can't take it. Most of the people that buy fighting games don't actually like playing fighting games vs anyone half decent.

Legacy is the main thing that keeps games like SF and Tekken alive. Cause people that are actually shit at fighting games have memorized flowchart strats that haven't changed in 20 years, and that helps them have a leg up on anyone trying to get into the game. Winning is pretty fun. . .

With every MK being completely different, there usually isn't much in the way of legacy with very minor exceptions.

NHDR

Noob
Speaking for myself, I hate the grind in this game. Unlocking skins and gear takes too long, kameo XP earned is pitiful, and basically everything requires too much grinding. Its so bad that I would almost pay for an "unlock everything" key because the invasion mode is pure shit. The gameplay is the best it has been since MK 9, in my opinion, but all the features, modes, aesthetics, and other things are either decent at best or just trash.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I believe that the moderate and sensible position is that the gameplay has been good, but everything else (i.e., Kombat League's desynchronization problem, the inadequate single player content, Warner Bros.' polemic DLC prices and limited support for the competitive scene, NRS's delayed and frequently nonexistent response to most of these issues, etc.) has been bad.

Strictly gameplay wise speaking, while players are critical about certain aspects of the meta (i.e., the monotony of making unsafe moves safe via kameos), the most recent patch (i.e., not the one that claims to have fixed the desync problem... LOL) is a step in the right direction, particularly as far as buffs versus nerfs are concerned. NRS has done a good job buffing the weaker kameos (i.e., Darrius, Motaro, Sonya, etc.) without over-nerfing the stronger ones (i.e., Kung Lao, Sareena, Stryker, etc,) Kameleon also seems to be universally acclaimed by competitive and casual players alike.

I encourage people to keep complaining about the aforementioned issues listed in the first paragraph. However, calling the game dead and saying that the game is not selling well is simply dishonest and inaccurate. The game has a plethora of issues that need to be fixed. No need to engage in untruthful rhetoric and fabrications.

Call me old fashioned but the reward for competing in fighting games imo, is dominating the competition and make it as high up the ladder as possible. Everything else is just the cherry on top. Personally, I could care less if Ranked had literally no "rewards".

Sorry for you putting you on the spot btw, it's not about you specifically, it's just something I've seen talked about before and I wanted to share my take on it.
I find it odd to pay premium price and not get my cherry on top, to be fair.

Lord Snotty

Lord of the Bletherrealm.
Yes. It's shit. We have to admit the truth even when it stings. The Kameo system, uninvolving multiverse story mode, the lack of extras worth staying for, the roster (which probably doesn't interest casual players who aren't obsessed with Deception like us), poor main villains, and the microtransactions. One or two of those things are bad. All of them? A disaster. You can see all the MK YouTubers trying hard to keep this going so they can get paid, but I moved on quickly. I can't see how NRS comes back from this with their credibility intact. They barely communicate unless they want to plug new DLC, let's be blunt. The real problem will be with the next game, because we bought this one. I'm not sure we'll all rush out for MK2 when it happens.

Tekken looks amazing.

Last edited:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I really like the gameplay more than 11 or 10 even. It has potential to be the best MK game of all time except they dropped the ball HARD when it comes to making EVERYTHING into a monotonous grind fest. I want to have all the brutalities and fatalities unlocked for every character/kameo so I spend more time playing as characters I'm only meh about instead of playing the ones I like because I already have everything for them I can get outside of spending thousands of dollars on things locked behind a premium paywall.

There's alot of other good games out that I am also playing the hell out of. MK1 is taking a back burner as a result because unfortunately as a Scorpion fan it is alot more fun playing most of those than it is trying to win a fight with him and have fun doing it. The other characters (even Sub, Reptile, and Nitara IMO) all have flaws sure but they also feel like they got some real love and attention to detail from the developers and could be easily fixed with some very minor adjustments that they will hopefully get. Scorpion just feels like the entire gameplay team hates the character and really didn't want to include him but had to so they just either barely tried or straight up went for malicious compliance. Even in the Kombat Kast they barely covered his gameplay with ZERO interest or enthusiasm. Steph just kind of shrugged and said something like "Scorpion? Well he's Scorpion. Now let's talk about Johnny Cage! He's great!" If they bother to fix the lower tier characters and make the modes feel less grindy I'll definitely have renewed interest in the game. In it's current state though I've got so many other great games to play but I'll keep crawling back to MK1 like an extremely abusive relationship I just can't bring myself to give up on.