What's new

Is Searing Rage the go-to variation now?

Doesn't matter. He only has 1 string you have to respect his cancel from, which is B14 xx TPC close.

Any other move/ block string can immediately be interrupted with a string with no consequence. This means all of the characters with fast mids get a combo or free pressure. While other characters get a poke, and that's a free block string.

The Jacqui MU for example got worse. If you don't cancel with B14, she'll put F3 in your ass every single time.

B14 xx TP jails on block, so it blows up neutral crouch/ interrupts if he doesn't cancel.

Also, I need to mention there is counter play to this nerf, but it's not in Scorpion's favor.
B14 xx TPC mixup looks pretty pressure maniac with Reborn but I saw it from many Reborn players even before nerf.
B14xx TLC is -8 "on block" (and can not be ducked) which opens up a pretty legit guessing game as if you try to react to the cancel you are just late as before.

Risky stuff for pressure - just for maniacs. :)

So NRS left some dirt for Reborn players - if they just increased the recovery on TLC it would have been worse for the mixup (they do not duck but always react appropriately).

B14 xx TPC mixup looks pretty pressure maniac with Reborn but I saw it from many Reborn players even before nerf.
B14xx TLC is -8 "on block" (and can not be ducked) which opens up a pretty legit guessing game as if you try to react to the cancel you are just late as before.

Risky stuff for pressure - just for maniacs. :)

So NRS left some dirt for Reborn players - if they just increased the recovery on TLC it would have been worse for the mixup (they do not duck but always react appropriately).
That's a part of the counter play, but he's still limited offensively.

Reborn has to play solid now.

That's a part of the counter play, but he's still limited offensively.

Reborn has to play solid now.
Yes but that's not a bad thing. Just different style than lot of people played with him before patch who used the TLC as an offensive tool.

I try to incorporate F3 on hit into S2 pressure to my game. It looks still better for SR as he has 21 2+4 so a bit more mixup option after S2.
It is not easy though as on block it is minus (and fast recovery) and easily challenged by people if I do not use F3 as a block stagger but try to microdash anyway. For hitconfirm another F3 can still work. :) It is sux that even the Scorpion player will not know what happens in that case as he does not know if F3 hits or not.

SR feels more complete character to me. Just need to play good to exploit all the strength he has - I am not that guy just talking about that lol.

Yes but that's not a bad thing. Just different style than lot of people played with him before patch who used the TLC as an offensive tool.

I try to incorporate F3 on hit into S2 pressure to my game. It looks still better for SR as he has 21 2+4 so a bit more mixup option after S2.
It is not easy though as on block it is minus (and fast recovery) and easily challenged by people if I do not use F3 as a block stagger but try to microdash anyway. For hitconfirm another F3 can still work. :) It is sux that even the Scorpion player will not know what happens in that case as he does not know if F3 hits or not.

SR feels more complete character to me. Just need to play good to exploit all the strength he has - I am not that guy just talking about that lol.
So, the question is what MU's does Reborn handle better?

Last edited:
So, the question is what MU's does Reborn handle better?
You guys said all the match ups where the opponent is strong up close. :)
As Reborn can teleport away from up close mid screen.

I just won against a Jax player though that D1 into S1 and D3 into S2 jail is pretty awesome as it works now consistently. I feel that my pokes has quality on hit as I can hitconfirm a masher.

I was not really pleased with B14 hitconfirm after pokes as lot of times the opponent just jumped... Now I have better mood up close especially using S2 and its follow ups more.

You guys said all the match ups where the opponent is strong up close. :)
As Reborn can teleport away from up close mid screen.

I just won against a Jax player though that D1 into S1 and D3 into S2 jail is pretty awesome as it works now consistently. I feel that my pokes has quality on hit as I can hitconfirm a masher.

I was not really pleased with B14 hitconfirm after pokes as lot of times the opponent just jumped... Now I have better mood up close especially using S2 and its follow ups more.
I feel like Reborn doesnt make a difference against rush down characters now that his free corner escape is gone. Sure you can TPC away mid screen, but you'll have to stand your ground at some point.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I feel like Reborn doesnt make a difference against rush down characters now that his free corner escape is gone. Sure you can TPC away mid screen, but you'll have to stand your ground at some point.
what do you mean?

You still get a hell of a mix on just JiK alone. Scorpion really shouldn't stand anywhere. lol

I think so too. Maybe your odds are a bit better if you at least can escape from mid screen and reset neutral few times.

But tbh that alone is not so tempting over SR.
Safe B2/F3 OS hitcomfirm is another big plus Reborn has. That support his hit and run tactic as well.

To me SR is good enough I walk/jump back a lot even without TLC.
TLC was good too but I missed the F32/21 2+4, more even before patch.

Fighting up close is not that bad with Scorpion his D1/D3 is good to be able to fight. Not that makes him strong and do a fast MID for 30% hit confirmable position up close but not free at all.

I have not played against Reborn after patch yet so I can not decide if he is struggling or not.
I ate teleports/spears after B14xx away TLC too lol. But it is still gone as duck will avoid and might punish both. But people can still mess up with TLC and confuse haha.

Last edited:
Hm I just saw Scar'a Lotus Fist Lao.

D1, D1, D1xx Orbital hat (-4 on block launcher) - oh you block it I amp it - another attempt for launch (also -4).

Well poor Reborn can not do a damn unsafe teleport after D1. :p
So who needs this - pick Lao :D

Looks pretty dirty disgusting - can not decide old TLC or this is worse. :D
People used even before patch I just said wtf... :) Now it looks even more wtf.

But okay he uses resources for this trick. But safe very punishing conditioning option not to counter poke is pretty strong. Especially if it is mixed with D1, D1, D1... And it work on high level so far.

Maybe we will see that Lao in next tournament. :)

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Are d1 and d3 jails really easier now? I was using d3 jail into 21 and 11 a lot pre patch and I didnt really notice a difference after the patch. D1 seems harder to jail off of now because of added recovery. Am I crazy?

Scoot Magee

Also reborn is really good at getting to where he needs to be on screen. Patient and solid play benefits this variation a lot more than wild offense., as mentioned earlier.

Because of him being able to be where he wants, reborn is probably a better pick against strong footsie/pressure characters. You dont want to rely on sr f3 stuff and raw b143 against those types of characters. You need to be able to move in and out safely.

Are d1 and d3 jails really easier now? I was using d3 jail into 21 and 11 a lot pre patch and I didnt really notice a difference after the patch. D1 seems harder to jail off of now because of added recovery. Am I crazy?
D3 was always able to jail S1/S2. D1 can consistently jail S1 now.

Also reborn is really good at getting to where he needs to be on screen. Patient and solid play benefits this variation a lot more than wild offense., as mentioned earlier.

Because of him being able to be where he wants, reborn is probably a better pick against strong footsie/pressure characters. You dont want to rely on sr f3 stuff and raw b143 against those types of characters. You need to be able to move in and out safely.
"against strong footsie/pressure characters"

Ok so what match ups remain?
Who has no strong footsie they have strong pressure. :D
Who has no strong footsie might have strong footsie.

And Scorpion is supposed to be strong in footsies. :p

I see your point though - constant running away from stronger characters = meh to me. :)

Scoot Magee

"against strong footsie/pressure characters"

Ok so what match ups remain?
Who has no strong footsie they have strong pressure. :D
Who has no strong footsie might have strong footsie.

And Scorpion is supposed to be strong in footsies. :p

I see your point though - constant running away from stronger characters = meh to me. :)
I mostly meant characters that have both, like liu kang and cage. Hardest matches for scorpion imo.

Sr is good for characters that you can harras with deathspin and random spears without getting punished.

Jacky is tough too, I agree. I'm not sure what his worst match is but oppressive pressure combined with fast, long reach punishes seem to be what it takes to make a match hard.
LK has full screen options, but TP counters them all. Jacqui has better pressure and punishment.

I mostly meant characters that have both, like liu kang and cage. Hardest matches for scorpion imo.

Sr is good for characters that you can harras with deathspin and random spears without getting punished.
Yes I see. :)

Hm I do not even really use death spin just for chip out regardless of the MU.
But there are several match ups where it has its place. I have lot of room to develop.

I use spear too from safe distance if possible. But when I would trade with a projectile I rather try to teleport punish. :D
If he waits for my teleport too I just throw the spear. Nowadays they wait even more as they hope for nice D2 KB.

Scoot Magee

Yes I see. :)

Hm I do not even really use death spin just for chip out regardless of the MU.
But there are several match ups where it has its place. I have lot of room to develop.

I use spear too from safe distance if possible. But when I would trade with a projectile I rather try to teleport punish. :D
If he waits for my teleport too I just throw the spear. Nowadays they wait even more as they hope for nice D2 KB.
I usually tend to throw out the ds in footsie range against characters who cant punish well. It hits more than you would think. With the buff on even the chip does solid damage. Also stops jumps really well. I use it a lot on jax, baraka and etc. Obviously its variation dependent as well. I'll also abuse it if I know the other player isnt punishing properly.

I usually tend to throw out the ds in footsie range against characters who cant punish well. It hits more than you would think. With the buff on even the chip does solid damage. Also stops jumps really well. I use it a lot on jax, baraka and etc. Obviously its variation dependent as well. I'll also abuse it if I know the other player isnt punishing properly.
I got your point and it is worth using that opportunity as well.
When I try to use it I am really surprised that it is "so easy" to hit and opponent got frustrated.

However most of the time I am just too busy in neutral with positions and try to punish opponent with bigger stuff (e.g. proper AA, proper whiff punish) rather than dropping DS for 50-100 damage.

It might be useful to use it even for the show of the threat - opponent might be more careful about his movement, jump which is a bit blocker to them and easier to play against.

I will check the characters where it is less a problem.
You mentioned Baraka and Jax... They are pretty annoying how they can advance on Scorpion so hell yeah if it can help I will use it wisely. :)
Speaking of abusing people ignorance: I do not like to do that but what can I do against bad people... And I do not even like testing it. But it makes disadvantage to me as I expect a perfect opponent against me and I try to play accordingly.
Then I am disappointed that he is just a masher and quality mind game does not work on him lol (and rather I am punished for playing mind games).

Using it against Jax can net you a nice bf2 kb in your face, can't it?
Acutally I just labbed it and from a certain range (not even from too far!) it will not reach Scorpion.
Hell yeah. :)
But as it is so minus Jax can just dash up for "free" pressure. So everything has price but much better than watching Jax to walk you down lol.

Scoot Magee

Just gotta let them know the option is there. If you're trying to win a match you abuse until they react accordingly. Gotta play the opponent, not just the game. It's the only way theyll learn.

At least Scorpion does high damage and everything has counterplay (though pretty high risk) so making a few good reads after some observations can net you a win.
If the matchup sucks you gotta play the player a bit more, I agree.