What's new

Is Searing Rage the go-to variation now?

We’ve had this discussion pre-patch comparing variations, and now it’s time once again. I believe Searing Rage is the better variation for Scorpion because of reasons listed below;
  1. Offense/pressure
  2. Damage
  3. Defense.
First and foremost, f3,2 automatically conditions opponents to block high and not interrupt. This is important because it leads to 2,1 mind games, and more pushback on f3,4. Your opponent has to gamble a poke/jab string against 30%+ combo. The reward is also in their favor playing defensive against it because it’s a full combo punish.

Damage goes without saying. Burning Spear increases overall combo damage and throw damage.

Finally, his defense is better simple because he’s not dependent on d/meter. You’ll always have it at your disposal.

Would love to hear your opinions on the matter.

I agree with SR pros so I list the Reborn's. :D

Who loves hit and run style and not staying up close after "anything" on block Reborn offers a good tool for it with the tele cancel.
F3/B2 OS/hitconfirm tele cancel serves that purpose as well and offers advanced whiff/mash punishing over SR.

With tele cancel you can start pressure and get in after punishablish (is there such a word in English? :D) projectiles like Kitana's fan. Commiting to teleport can be blocked but cancel allows to get in while Kitana tries to block and hope for punish.
However this last option might be deleted due to the HIGH tele as e.g. Kitana after the fan will not block but duck and D1 when she sees the tele and hopes for recovery... and probably will be able to D1 without getting hit by TLC + Scorp D1.

TLC using for offense even on surprise will not be possible anymore due to the HIGH so it is much worse than MKX teleport cancel which was slower but at least forced a bit mind game and reaction to blocked TP or cancel.
So TLC is probably mostly used for getting out from bad spot against good rush down characters as it was in MKX.

I think it is a strong tool but here in MK11 Scorpion does not really have to run away from the opponent - maybe in some specific match ups.

With Reborn you can escape from up close and up close pressure is not that strong.
With SR you stay up close but you can pressure a bit better.
They quite a bit complement each other I think.

The core is the same. :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
They are closer now, but I think Reborn is still better. You can still do everything in Reborn you could do pre-patch defensively, it’s just that TP canceling into their face is no longer very effective (since they can duck and cover both options).

I personally have always preferred Searing Rage tho. It’s just more fun and I like getting damage.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Can't imagine playing without the cancel tbh. Nothing like getting in and hit confirming a tele, if blocked cancel away and lame people out while the bar comes back then do it over again.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It depends on the match up imo. I really think scorpion benefits from the added mobility of reborn against a lot of characters. I feel it should be used against liu kang, cage and etc. Mostly characters you dont want anywhere near you.

I think searing rage can fair better against characters that cant punish as well and aren't powerhouses up close. If he can get away with throwing spears mid range and ds is hard to punish, sr is the way to go. Hes better up close for obvious reasons but against certain characters hes got no business being in that range.

Playstyle preference is a big factor as well.

Parasurama

Dragon
We’ve had this discussion pre-patch comparing variations, and now it’s time once again. I believe Searing Rage is the better variation for Scorpion because of reasons listed below;
  1. Offense/pressure
  2. Damage
  3. Defense.
First and foremost, f3,2 automatically conditions opponents to block high and not interrupt. This is important because it leads to 2,1 mind games, and more pushback on f3,4. Your opponent has to gamble a poke/jab string against 30%+ combo. The reward is also in their favor playing defensive against it because it’s a full combo punish.

Damage goes without saying. Burning Spear increases overall combo damage and throw damage.

Finally, his defense is better simple because he’s not dependent on d/meter. You’ll always have it at your disposal.

Would love to hear your opinions on the matter.
I agree.

Reborn was hit hard by patch. Any tele like movement can be reacted to. Searing rage is very similar and his go to. I don’t think they should have decreased his hit advantage on d1- why? Or nerfed his d4 (not that I have noticed)

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I’ve used both variants and main/default to SR. However I will say when it comes to people mashing buttons or disrespecting me in my face reborn and it’s tele cancels are useful to get away largely because of his slower mids. Some matchups get super frustrating in SR. But regardless I’m still an SR user for now so we’ll see what happens to him in the future.

Also the guy didn't challenge a single f3 with a poke.
What's Scorp gonna do? KB you once and then get 80 damage every time you do the full string?

Now you just gotta watch for teleport on his strings and mash out a d3 or d4 to beat everything he can do from the cancel.
On top of that if you're 9-11f mid character you don't even have to respect Reborn's d1 anymore since cancelling into hellport from that does you nothing except eating a combo or poke.

At least SR can get people off his face with d1 xx df4 and can mix you with f3 into throw/d3/f34 or f32.

I don't want to play Reborn anymore because it's trash and I wish they had just put another variation in instead of soft deleting the variation.

Also I don't get what the fuck is up with that d4 nerf. Fuck that Pablo guy, he's mentally challenged.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Who prefers escaping and reacting into longer punishes Reborn is still the way to go, i honestly don't think its as weak, and Reborn can still do everything it did, except of course decide to bet on "time to mix because i have 2 bars"

Also the guy didn't challenge a single f3 with a poke.
What's Scorp gonna do? KB you once and then get 80 damage every time you do the full string?

Now you just gotta watch for teleport on his strings and mash out a d3 or d4 to beat everything he can do from the cancel.
On top of that if you're 9-11f mid character you don't even have to respect Reborn's d1 anymore since cancelling into hellport from that does you nothing except eating a combo or poke.

At least SR can get people off his face with d1 xx df4 and can mix you with f3 into throw/d3/f34 or f32.

I don't want to play Reborn anymore because it's trash and I wish they had just put another variation in instead of soft deleting the variation.

Also I don't get what the fuck is up with that d4 nerf. Fuck that Pablo guy, he's mentally challenged.
This is true. Once F34 KB is gone you can challenge f3 stagger with little risk.

F34 is one of the easier f/block gaps and he cant escape counterpokes if you block the second hit low.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Reborn (and Scorpion in general) barely took a hit in this patch. Whatever worked before still works now.

Matix218

Get over here!
Reborn (and Scorpion in general) barely took a hit in this patch. Whatever worked before still works now.
Agreed, I do not understand why people think the teleport change was that big of a deal. He is still completely fine unless you are just being insane with predictable teleports, in which case you would have still been losing pre patch.

xx007iam

Noob
Like a few people have already said it's going to be match up dependent I figure. Just not character match ups but player tendencies, too. I think reborn might be better for set play but I don't know enough about NRS games to really say that with confidence. Player preference will obviously be a factor.

Honestly, I think the nerfs looked worse on paper than in practice.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This is true. Once F34 KB is gone you can challenge f3 stagger with little risk.

F34 is one of the easier f/block gaps and he cant escape counterpokes if you block the second hit low.
after the KB he's literally going to cancel that into far teleport everytime and not even deal.

Who prefers escaping and reacting into longer punishes Reborn is still the way to go, i honestly don't think its as weak, and Reborn can still do everything it did, except of course decide to bet on "time to mix because i have 2 bars"
This isn't entirely true. Free corner escape using Jump back xx TP doesn't work. You can poke him whether he cancels or not. If you're on point you can punish full combo. That was one of the best parts about Reborn, especially in MU's vs Jacqui, Sonya, etc.