What's new

Question Is neutral ducking skillfull

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It's a read just like blocking low/high. ND on a bad read can lead to a full combo, blocking on a bad read can lead to a throw. So ND is riskier and you can get a D2 KB out of it. I don't get the questions about it being skillful or not, it's a read, it's a split decision. It is hard to press down on the d-pad? No. Is it hard to press R2? No. Is it hard to press a series of buttons? No. Is ND skillful? No, but neither is pressing buttons. What's skillful is figuring out what your opponent is going to do before he does it and react accordingly, everything else is just a tool you have to use.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
It's a read just like blocking low/high. ND on a bad read can lead to a full combo, blocking on a bad read can lead to a throw. So ND is riskier and you can get a D2 KB out of it. I don't get the questions about it being skillful or not, it's a read, it's a split decision. It is hard to press down on the d-pad? No. Is it hard to press R2? No. Is it hard to press a series of buttons? No. Is ND skillful? No, but neither is pressing buttons. What's skillful is figuring out what your opponent is going to do before he does it and react accordingly, everything else is just a tool you have to use.
I wasnt really asking from the philosophical position like weather or not a hard read ND is skillfull. I was more asking from the mechanical perspective. So I'll try to elaborate in mkx and even injustice ND on reaction or read was hype super Godlike. In this game its binary, while we have more options than ever it doesnt feel that way. Look I'm a nub but the strike throw meta that we have now feels less nuanced then past iterations IN MY Opinion which shouldn't be possible.

On a separate note would be interested to talk about the difference between reads reactions and guesses the philosophy of all fighting games and how we all for some reason interoperate them differently