What's new

Is mkxl still worth playing?

Hey guys, thanks for reading my post, I joined just to make this thread and hope someone can give some I sight.

So I casually played fighting games on console throughout the years, but Mk was always my favorite and I recently decided to spend more time getting good at it and working towards becoming competative.

I really love the feel of the game. It has a dark and gory atmosphere, all the characters are unique and badass. It's very smooth and pretty balanced imo.

But, the more I look into mkxl the more I hear about how this game is done for. It's really sad but people say they moved on and uninstalled because Mkxl will be left behind since injustice 2 is coming out. I can't find any opinions on this, but I assume injustice 2 will be a better game than mkx?

Also, I hear there will be no more kombat packs and mk11 won't be until around 2019.

It sucks because I really looked forward to getting into this game, but it's no fun playing a game with a dead scene.

So for my question, is it more worth getting injustice 2 and putting time into that game instead? I really dont like the childish feel and cartoony gameplay of it, but if that's where everyone will be I might as well join. I really wish mkxl was still at the top and being updated, but it seems everyone moved on.

So thanks again, and please share your thoughts

I literally bought MKX like in November, and only started playing it extensively in January. I currently go to locals when I can, and it's been the most fun I've ever had. Also, I still play the first injustice with friends. So in short...

....yes. If you have fun playing it, who cares what others think?

Noob
It depends on how much effort you want to put into fighting games.

If you want to focus on one game, which you probably should if this is the first time you are taking a game serious enough to be competitive, then IJ2 would be the better choice as it will bring in new players and the core bass will be bigger. IJ2 wont necessarily be a better game. It is a different game.

As you get more years under your belt you will be playing multiple titles. So treat the first game you get into as a learning tool. And take it as it comes. At some point you may want to learn a second character to use as a counter pick in certain situations. If you are playing multiple titles with multiple second characters it will get over whelming very quickly.

Having said that, MKXL is far from dead. It will lose some of its status to IJ2. But it will be played until MK11 at least. I still play MK9 a couple times a month with the group I train with. Online it is dead. But it doesn't mean we had to stop playing offline.

I literally bought MKX like in November, and only started playing it extensively in January. I currently go to locals when I can, and it's been the most fun I've ever had. Also, I still play the first injustice with friends. So in short...

....yes. If you have fun playing it, who cares what others think?
Yea youre right, i just hear tournaments dont even put mk on anymore, like evo. I just hope the online servers wont bug in the future. Do you think It is likely they will come out with more content, or at least updates in the future?

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
If you enjoy it play it. I've had much more enjoyment over the years playing what I like instead of what the crowd is gravitating toward. But it is true that tournaments will likely fall off and maybe even locals depending on where you live. It's happened with every NRS title since 2011 now. As soon as the next one is announced the current one is dumped.

exisTenz

Noob
I'm still having fun playing MKX and I will keep playing it even after I2 comes out, but, like others mentioned, it's highly unlikely there will be any new content for MKX.

Noob
MKXL is in the voting list for Players Choice. So it may still make main stage. But even if it doesn't, I am sure it will get a side game place at EVO. I am shocked KI isn't locked in though. And I reckon the Kombat Kup will try keep it going. NRS and Warner Bros will want to find a way to keep players playing older titles. The way we have seen games getting dropped with each new title sort of makes sense. Dropping MKXL for IJ2 doesn't. Since they are completely different games.

Error

DF2+R2
Look up infanticide in the wild, that's basically how this community treats it's games to make way for new ones.

undergroundvgt

the salt shaker
i have no interest in mkxl anymore bring on the injustice 2 lol. i tried playing mk the other day and it felt weird plus the online is going downhill couldnt find a decent connection yet alone a decent fighter. its definitely ran its course but i played the hell out of it so if i were you i would start fresh with injustice 2 that way you can learn a new game with the rest of us and travel down the path of greatness. peace

Mkxl still has plenty of players still playing at any given time. The games not dead like some people here may say. I dont play as much as I used to but I still play. I think a lot of the ''this game's dead'' crowd come from people who didn't like character nerfs and buffs from latest patch. My biggest problem is the endless safe 50 50's that still dominate mkxl. I don't hate the game but I do like to take breaks

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Will everyone stop playing MKX when Injustice 2 comes out?... Of course not. That would be unheard of. It's true that the majority of the tournament scene will move on the next game, but Injustice is a different animal altogether, and it's not for everyone.

The most important question for you is, do you still have the desire to play? If you do, it's a matter of finding people to play with, online or offline. There's what... 34 playable characters in MKXL? With 3 variations each? I'm sure there's tech and matchup specifics that won't be found for some time to come. That is to say there are reasons why a small scene will continue to exist, the only question is how big it will be.

People still play Smash Melee and that game is much, much older. Generations older... Of course, fighting games normally have a shorter lifespan, but there's at least an outside chance that a similar scene can form for MKX. It's really up to you, and others in the community.

Reactions: 24K

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Depends on what you're playing for OP. MKX will only die competitively, but there will still be people playing online for you to practice with.

Wow didn't expect to get so many replies, thanks everyone!

So what I'm hearing is that tournament scene will be significantly smaller, but obviously if the game is fun play it. I won't be tournament level anytime soon, all I really ask for is good online experience. I wish mk11 came out sooner but obviously they have to give at least a few years for their new release to run its course (ij2)

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I wouldn't over think it. It's fun, it's a good game to learn on, there are people playing it, and injustice 2 isn't out yet. So, unless you plan on grinding injustice 1 for the next couple of months, you gotta play something.

Dead game comments aside, it has more activity that most other options you have.

Yea youre right, i just hear tournaments dont even put mk on anymore, like evo. I just hope the online servers wont bug in the future. Do you think It is likely they will come out with more content, or at least updates in the future?
Unfortunately there won't be any further content for MKX, however that didn't stop me from playing Injustice 1. I was still playing it before all the release trailers for Injustice 2 and when MKX was at its prime. Even when top players where calling it "injustass" and "injumptice" and moved on to MKX, I still kept playing.

The way I see it is this. Unless you wanted to play MKX competitively, like travel to majors and go to EVO then it would make sense that you wouldn't pick up the game. But if your just playing it because you love the game, and only plan to play it online (...and maybe go to a local) then it being competitive or not should not matter at all. Hell, I'm almost certain there will be some online tournaments held even during injustice 2. And the net code for MKX is hella good (just be sure to play wired and not wireless).

Also at my local (shoutout to Austin - MortalKombat ATX WOOP WOOP!) they casually had Injustice setups. I had never expected in my wildest dreams to ever play Injustice in an offline setting but it happened. So it doesn't mean that MKX will never have a showing offline, just that it will be much smaller than it currently is.

Also, injustice doesn't come out until may, so I'll still be playing MKX and Injustice 1 before it comes out.

#LinKueiAllDay

#TeamBOOYAH

-Protagonist_1

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Competitively, it's pretty much on its way out the door. But if MK9 is anything to go on, the game will live on so long as people decide to play. Especially since the online is a viable ground to play in comparison to MK9 and I1.