What's new

Is Mk11 on Switch up to date?

AU_SUCK

MEOW
This may be a really stupid question, but I’m thinking of picking it up for the Switch and I saw some people saying it wasn’t patched? Is this still accurate or did they update it? Also, do we know if patches will be at the same time moving forward?

Matix218

Get over here!
It is patched, the patches just generally drop a few days after xbone/ps4, but that applies to the pc version as well.

Matix218

Get over here!
Thank you so much for your reply. How is playing on the switch joycons?
I have the ps4 version as well so i basically only bought the switch version to play around with/lab when my wife is using ps4 for netflix (very often) so I have literally ONLY used it in handheld mode. That being said I DO NOT like using the d-pad "buttons" on the left joycon. Luckily there is a super easy fix that makes the d pad issue totally go away. HORI makes a 15-20 dollar "d pad joycon" accessory which is basically a handheld use only joycon with a d pad instead of the individual directional buttons on the standard joycon. With the hori joycon it plays really well and i am actually starting to prefer that d pad over my ps4 controller tbh.

Only issues with the switch version are sometimes there is some slowdown (worse on certain stages and during certain character's long combos) but overall as a handheld lab/practice tool i believe it does a good job (which is all I wanted it for).

Phr4nk

2021 Ash Main
I second what Matix said. I got the switch version as a portable lab, and picked up the HORI joycon for the d-pad. It's really great for testing setups and messing around with tech. I also use it to practice combos, etc.

The slowdown is real. It seems to be getting better as more patches come out, but don't expect your flawless-block u2 combos to be frame perfect.

I do not recommend playing online. It works, but it is slow and there are not very many people playing. Even right after launch I couldn't find a game in kompetitive kasual after searching for like 5 minutes.

I have the ps4 version as well so i basically only bought the switch version to play around with/lab when my wife is using ps4 for netflix (very often) so I have literally ONLY used it in handheld mode. That being said I DO NOT like using the d-pad "buttons" on the left joycon. Luckily there is a super easy fix that makes the d pad issue totally go away. HORI makes a 15-20 dollar "d pad joycon" accessory which is basically a handheld use only joycon with a d pad instead of the individual directional buttons on the standard joycon. With the hori joycon it plays really well and i am actually starting to prefer that d pad over my ps4 controller tbh.

Only issues with the switch version are sometimes there is some slowdown (worse on certain stages and during certain character's long combos) but overall as a handheld lab/practice tool i believe it does a good job (which is all I wanted it for).
You wrote basically the exact reply I was going to write. It sounds lame to rebuy the game for such limited use, but it really is awesome to be able practice on a bus or plane. It's also nice to not have to feel guilty hogging the TV when my wife wants to play a different game or watch a show.

Matix218

Get over here!
You wrote basically the exact reply I was going to write. It sounds lame to rebuy the game for such limited use, but it really is awesome to be able practice on a bus or plane. It's also nice to not have to feel guilty hogging the TV when my wife wants to play a different game or watch a show.
Yeah, that is 100% why I bought it.

I actually tried the online the other day (on my crappy wifi) for the 1st time. Couldnt get a single "kompetative" mode match or koth (it would not find one, I guess no one plays online for switch outside of kombat league?)

So I hopped on kombat league and played around 5 matches. Some were bad connection wise and some were more ok (not perfect but playable). Weird thing was I specifically selected the option to display the "ping" but it did not work. None of the KL matches showed the ping either before the match or during the match? Have you had this issue on switch or do you not even bother with switch online?

Yeah, that is 100% why I bought it.

I actually tried the online the other day (on my crappy wifi) for the 1st time. Couldnt get a single "kompetative" mode match or koth (it would not find one, I guess no one plays online for switch outside of kombat league?)

So I hopped on kombat league and played around 5 matches. Some were bad connection wise and some were more ok (not perfect but playable). Weird thing was I specifically selected the option to display the "ping" but it did not work. None of the KL matches showed the ping either before the match or during the match? Have you had this issue on switch or do you not even bother with switch online?
Hm, I didn't notice. I only played a few KL matches just to try it out. I'm never really in a place with my Switch that has a strong enough connection to play online except my apartment, in which case I'll usually just play on PS4. To do Switch online, I have to be in a situation where I'm at home, I really want to play, and my wife's already using the TV. So far the stars have aligned so that I can mostly just play PS4 online.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
It's okay, I mean you should have low expectations with the switch's hardware, but for the GO and to play it is fun for ONLY TESTING and TRAINING. Being always connected online means no towers of time, story rewards, tower rewards, or unlocks.

But for a lab and training purposes it is pretty good.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I have MK11 on Switch and Xbox, and I find myself mostly playing on the Switch. I play mostly online too.

As everyone else has said, the Switch is up to date now, but this last patch took like a week+ to come out.

I play with a pro-controller...I wouldn't DARE play with the joycons. :)

The game is comparable to the other versions, but YES, the slowdown is real. All the coliseum stages...lag like no other game I've ever seen! Even with the latest patch, you can start a fight on one of those stages and the game feel fine...but by the time you get to round 3, the game is chugging at like sub-20 FPS. Still though, I play this version because I'm usually away from home, and I do get decent practice with it.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
It's okay, I mean you should have low expectations with the switch's hardware, but for the GO and to play it is fun for ONLY TESTING and TRAINING. Being always connected online means no towers of time, story rewards, tower rewards, or unlocks.

But for a lab and training purposes it is pretty good.
They did claim it would run at 60fps.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
The Switch version is fine. It's best purpose is mobile training mode. Stick with the tournament stage and you'll have a good experience. If you wanna play scrubs, but literal slow motion gameplay, play online. The game doesn't frame skip so it's a nightmare lol

Matix218

Get over here!
The Switch version is fine. It's best purpose is mobile training mode. Stick with the tournament stage and you'll have a good experience. If you wanna play scrubs, but literal slow motion gameplay, play online. The game doesn't frame skip so it's a nightmare lol
I second the "tournament stage" being the go-to on switch to keep the fps steady.

Onilordasmodeus

...If you wanna play scrubs, but literal slow motion gameplay, play online. ...
This. Lol! The competition on the Switch is severely lacking, but there are a few diamonds in the rough. Currently I'm sitting at Grandmaster rank in KL, and there is only 1 guy in the Demi-God rank. Nobody has made it to God or Elder God yet, and I really think it is because there just aren't that many good players, or rather players in general (comparing it to the Xbox and PS4), playing that mode on Switch.

Matix218

Get over here!
This. Lol! The competition on the Switch is severely lacking, but there are a few diamonds in the rough. Currently I'm sitting at Grandmaster rank in KL, and there is only 1 guy in the Demi-God rank. Nobody has made it to God or Elder God yet, and I really think it is because there just aren't that many good players, or rather players in general (comparing it to the Xbox and PS4), playing that mode on Switch.
Do you ever get connections that feel similar to good ps4 online? Also does your switch display the ping? I selected the option but it never showed ping on the ~5 kl matches I played

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Try using scorpion in training.

AU_SUCK

MEOW
Thanks for all the responses! I think I’ll just stick to pS4 version for now seeing as how slow frame rate will make me go insane...

Onilordasmodeus

Do you ever get connections that feel similar to good ps4 online? Also does your switch display the ping? I selected the option but it never showed ping on the ~5 kl matches I played
I get good connections on strong wifi signals. At this point though, I only play ranked/KL because when you connect with another player, if you don't have the option to back out, that means you got have a quality connection. On Switch, for some reason they don't give you the luxury of seeing the green or yellow bars before you play. The only way you can tell (in ranked) if you have a "good" connection is if the game ONLY gives you the option to ready up. I don't even bother with the weaker connections now. You've got to keep in mind, ALL the connections you find on Switch are wifi.

In game, the game HUD shows me the ping. Between 100 and 200 is what I usually get when I use my phone wifi. between 60 and 70 is what I get usually when I play at home.

Last edited:

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Thank you so much for your reply. How is playing on the switch joycons?
I don't recommend using the joycons for this game. I'm using an N30 8-bitdo wireless arcade stick for my Switch. That has been working really well for this game. Be aware that the Switch has some noticeable slowdown on some stages. I only use my Switch version to lab on the go.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I have MK11 on Switch and Xbox, and I find myself mostly playing on the Switch. I play mostly online too.

As everyone else has said, the Switch is up to date now, but this last patch took like a week+ to come out.

I play with a pro-controller...I wouldn't DARE play with the joycons. :)

The game is comparable to the other versions, but YES, the slowdown is real. All the coliseum stages...lag like no other game I've ever seen! Even with the latest patch, you can start a fight on one of those stages and the game feel fine...but by the time you get to round 3, the game is chugging at like sub-20 FPS. Still though, I play this version because I'm usually away from home, and I do get decent practice with it.
I've also noticed so far IMO while the comp isn't quite as good as Xbox, there's also a lot less dicks on the switch. People who leave/desync or teabag with Scorpion or in general. One Xbox I encounter this shit daily lol.
I don't recommend using the joycons for this game. I'm using an N30 8-bitdo wireless arcade stick for my Switch. That has been working really well for this game. Be aware that the Switch has some noticeable slowdown on some stages. I only use my Switch version to lab on the go.
I have noticed on the blood water stage it slows down on both my switch and Xbox, like when the waves hit the ship I swear the gameplay slows down unless I'm going crazy lol.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I've also noticed so far IMO while the comp isn't quite as good as Xbox, there's also a lot less dicks on the switch. People who leave/desync or teabag with Scorpion or in general. One Xbox I encounter this shit daily lol.

I have noticed on the blood water stage it slows down on both my switch and Xbox, like when the waves hit the ship I swear the gameplay slows down unless I'm going crazy lol.
I'm playing the game on the Xbox One X so I have not noticed any slowdown. I'll try it on my regular Xbox in my room to see if it slows down.

C-Sword

Noob
Wait for a discount. MK9 on the Vita looked like shit, but it played great. MK11 on the Switch suffers from a lot of slow down, I'd compare it to Injustice on the Vita, you'll have to stick to the same few stages for the game to be playable.. No wonder why they avoided showing this version of the game before release day. I'm considering trading in my copy and just stick to the PS4 version.