What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Jax Is mileena just a bad matchup for JAX or EVERYONE?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
As a heavy weapons jax main myself, I would say #1 thing to master in this matchup is your punish. If you're not getting max damage for her mistakes, you're letting her get away with murder. You have to let Milena hang herself, then make her hurt for taking those risks. One mistake from Milena, you can full combo punish her for 35%+ and you're sitting pretty in the corner (where jax is an absolute monster). Also on wakeup, just stand block. Milena players love to roll and ex roll on wakeup. Block it once and punish hard and I promise you, you will make them rethink waking up ever again. Especially in the corner where they will eat 50%. Then, once they're shared to wake up, 50/50 or pressure the shit out of her. If you're being out zoned, just block everything patiently. Let her have her little chip damage, what is she gonna do once you've made your way in? Jump at you? D2 or ex grab. Up close jax dismantles her. Patience is a big key point in this matchup. Also, practice punishes for things like her teleport. You can block teleport and neutral duck and wait for the sai (if she chooses to throw it to throw you off) then punish with something like standing 1, 11, run cancle 11, f212, d3+4. Last thing lol, if you play heavy weapons jax, then trade bazooka with sai all day long, the trade is heavily in your favor (but be careful for yolo teleports after they catch on). You'll be fine dude, all matchups no matter how good or bad just need practice.
From a Mileena player's perspective, I think Jax vs Mileena matchup looks like Superman vs Catwoman, Jax wins the matchup but he still has to play with care, because as usual, Mileena is very tricky and she can combo from anywhere on the screen. On wakeup if my ex roll is blocked once, I'll start mixing up doing wake up throw/ ex roll next time. This forces Jax to respect her on knockdown and play pressure game very carefully. At a jump distance Jax also has to worry about F23 low sweep/yolo overhead roll mixup, surprise F4 high pounce. From full screen Jax will lose the zoning war because his projectiles can be punished by telekick on reaction. Another problem is that all of his armored wake up options can be stuffed by yolo D3 roll (which lowers her hitbox). I said "yolo D3 roll" because if Jax decided to just wakeup block Mileena is dead

I'm confused, I would assume f4 into OH roll wouldn't be difficult to see coming. I mean the OH roll is a bitch but if you guess it she's eating daaaaaamage. Especially with Jax geeze.

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
I have a question: Anyone here has trouble following combos after ex overhead dash punch after hitting Mileena and Kitana midscreen? My friend said their small hitbox makes combos harder to hit
I've noticed this, after the dash punch, f21 will whiff a lot for some reason

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I'm thinking of picking up Jax and was wondering what Jax players think of the Mileena (piercing) matchup in the XL era.
Even. The biggest problem is Mileena can't counter poke him most of the time. B1 sometimes works, sometimes doesn't because if he's -3 and throw out his 6f normal she loses. So she should try to stay away from him and throw as many sai as possible. Mileena outdamages him though

Even. The biggest problem is Mileena can't counter poke him most of the time. B1 sometimes works, sometimes doesn't because if he's -3 and throw out his 6f normal she loses. So she should try to stay away from him and throw as many sai as possible. Mileena outdamages him though
Ah, I see. I forgot Jax's damage output is low midscreen. Is the damage output of both characters in the corner comparable? I took Jax to the lab to test against Mileena's B12 footsie game (with D3 and spacing components, of course) that Foxy uses and Jax seems to handle it just as well as anyone else.

Tweedy

Noob
Mileena has better damage overall, less need to use meter, dictates the neutral with her sais, Mileena is very hard to oki for Jax unless he low pokes, Mileena has faster pokes, and B12 essentially contends with all of Jax's neutral tools. I think that Mileena edges him out, personally.

If Jax goes even with Mileena, we may need to look at Jax as one of the best characters in the game. He does well vs Alien, Takeda, Sonya. He might have some questionable match ups vs lower tier characters like Sub Zero and Goro, but if Yoloroll is right about the Mileena match up being even, Jax might be a meta killer. He also arguably does well vs Kung Jin, Cage, and some say D'vorah.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Mileena is very hard to oki for Jax unless he low pokes, Mileena has faster pokes, and B12 essentially contends with all of Jax's neutral tools. I think that Mileena edges him out, personally.
Incorrect statements. Do you play one of them?
If Jax goes even with Mileena, we may need to look at Jax as one of the best characters in the game
Catwoman is 5 - 5 against Flash, WoWo and Batgirl. Suddenly Catwoman is the one of the best in the game because she's even with three top tier?
And Assasin Kitana goes 5 - 5 against Piercing as well

Tweedy

Noob
Incorrect statements. Do you play one of them?

Catwoman is 5 - 5 against Flash, WoWo and Batgirl. Suddenly Catwoman is the one of the best in the game because she's even with three top tier?
And Assasin Kitana goes 5 - 5 against Piercing as well
I didn't play Injustice, so I have no idea where Catwoman was. I also have a feeling that many will disagree with you on the Kit and Mileena MU number, but that is either here nor there, especially since i'm a complete noob when it comes to Kitaner.

Mileena factually has faster pokes. As I've said many times in the land of TYM, people can argue against facts, that is fine. If you check the frame data, Mileena's fastest poke is 6 frames, Jax's is 7. Mileena's D3 is also faster than Jax's. Me playing one of them does not do anything for the argument. The frame data backs me.

Look, I know you're the same person that told me that Kitana's standing 2 stuffs roll. I know, downplaying. I know. However, when I go into practice mode, the only thing that Jax can do to stuff wake up roll, is a meaty F3, B3, or pokes. Due to how risky meaty B3s and F3s are(especially meaty F3, like that might as well not even be a listed option), i'd have to say that this is an advantage for Mileena. Jax is always risking Mileena getting a meterless escape when going for any variation of S1 pressure; Jax's bread and butter.

Meaty D3 is not a horrible option, but forcing a character into meaty pokes, when you don't even have to use meter to do so, is an advantage.

Meterless roll as a wake up really needs to stop being downplayed. You are the #1 offender atm my friend. It needs to stop. Demanding respect vs characters when you don't have any meter, is insane on this game. Jax doesn't have to 100% respect it, but it still alters his oki big time. The notion that things like Kitana's standing 2 can stuff it, and that it's not that big of a deal, is straight TYM booty talk downplay city.

I'm assuming since you quoted it, you also think that B12 dealing with Jax's neutral tools is incorrect. I mean maybe if you don't know that dash punch can be ducked, you're correct. Even then that's a maybe. B12 baby.

I feel as a Jax player that you need superb timing and mind reading when you play against Mileena online, I get my shit pushed in most cases due to her unpredictable and disruptive play style,can't start anything against her,can't jump,can't trade projectiles,her yolo ex shit work like a goddamn Swiss watch..Hate her guts

Last edited:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Where are these Mileenas and acidics?

But for the sake of the thread, I believe Mileena destroys Jax
I guess Aquaman wasn't broke in Injustice either, since only Theo won with him. And Martian Manhunter wasn't that great either, since there was only Jupiter winning majors.

This is a weak argument and you know it.

Number of successful representatives is not a good indicator of character strength. It's correlated, sure, but it's a very loose relationship.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me

I guess Aquaman wasn't broke in Injustice either, since only Theo won with him. And Martian Manhunter wasn't that great either, since there was only Jupiter winning majors.

Number of successful representatives is not a good indicator of character strength. It's correlated, sure, but it's a very loose relationship.
I think he is saying that representation is very little for Mileena that when a statement like "She only loses to Acidic in majors" the retort is not that she is not super strong, but the fact she is seen as really strong and yet the level of representation hasn't really changed for a character that is supposedly "braindead" and easy to play.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions

It wasnt an argument, he was talking as if there were loads of Mileenas/Acidics doing anything.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
I think he is saying that representation is very little for Mileena that when a statement like "She only loses to Acidic in majors" the retort is not that she is not super strong, but the fact she is seen as really strong and yet the level of representation hasn't really changed for a character that is supposedly "braindead" and easy to play.
Oh ok, if that's the case, then I take back my response.

As a more general comment - I think many players are reluctant to switch their main at this stage in the game, as they've accumulated a lot of experience/knowledge at this point and don't want to start over. So even when a DLC character is quite strong or a previously weak character becomes strong at this phase in the game's life, many won't switch.

By the way, I don't think mileena is brain dead, she definitely needs fundamentals. It's just that her reward for correct implementation of those fundamentals is quite a bit higher than most characters.

Tweedy

Noob
Our community isn't the biggest. Representation should barely be taken into account.

I could easily say that the two Alien players that are winning, would win anyways, and i'm right, but that doesn't mean that Alien isn't dumb. Dragon's Fire Liu Kang doesn't even know what a top 8 is. Foxy and Sonic could have just happened to pick Takeda over whoever else. We'd be like holy shit Takeda is the only viable character. Players win boys.

Just when I was enjoying Jax, lol! I was hoping Jax would be a good character that didn't have lopsided matchups. Currently a Kenshi main in a character crisis, lol! Any recommendations?