What's new

Is Liu Kang more of a zoner or pressure machine? Discussions?

I think the most significant difference between Liu Kang and Kabal is that Kabal gets big damage when an air fireball anti airs, whereas the best Liu Kang can do is follow up with a flying kick. Which sucks because I get anti air fireballs all day, son. It's like all I do.
It's more than big damage off AA iagb; nomad dash is better than Liu Kang's bike kick and flying kick. Kabal's defensive options are much better because ex ndc works virtually like a 1 frame ex parry. When pressuring Liu Kang, all you gotta do is drop your block strings and do D4, Liu kang is virtually helpless against low pokes other then out poking. When pressuring Kabal, ex nomad dash is always a threat and you can't low poke or jump out. You have to block and then it becomes a guess because kabal can read the block and go into pressure of his own. The fact that it is a mid is reason enough for nomad dash to be better to use full screen. Then you'd have to take into consideration how much faster ex nomad dash, getting a free combo and being able to cancel into a low/over head mix up from full screen. Also ndc block strings.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
Does his anti air 1 work better offline cuz online I can never hit it and I always get jump punched before it hits
Same thing happens online with Smoke's standing 2.

A lot of characters' anti-jabs an D1s are almost impossible to do online unless you play someone with really good connection.

Marvaz

come at me
2 is lius best aa normal. 1 is ok but the hit box on it is smaller i believe so i rarely use 1 as a aa. Curbolicious reminds me alot of SONICFOX, a 12 yr old kid who says he can beat anyone offline, but we all saw what happened at NEC to sonic fox. If u ever do go to a offline tournament, youll be in for a surprise. Its not like online.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
The only way to show how good of a player you are, is to show yourself to the world. That is one of the main reasons I do not play online. If you say your good, I cant wait to fight you! Hopefully I will see you at Final Round if I make arrangements soon. Also on the Sindel Mtchup, I do not think it is wise to play the zoning game. Reason being is that she can not fight inside, and you can use Liu's Rushdown to exploit her wake up game. Also, it is hard to crack the other players strategy when that other player knows that liu kangs wake up attacks is not at par such as a character like Jax lol.

As for discussion, Liu can adapt to any situation whether zoning or rushdown. Since I am all about rushdown, I will say his rushdown is better, but as I adapt to certain situations his zoning ability helps me out allot. I have yet to perfect the two strategies lol.

[MENTION=4647]R0bot1cColumbus[/MENTION] [MENTION=5334]mcpeanuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=7704]Playpal[/MENTION]
Thank you all for the support, I did not realize there are people out there giving me credit for my game play. I work very hard to come up with new strategies and develop new tech and adaptations during matches.
I just wached your mach against 16 bits Kitana and i think your Liu is getting better and better. Really sick when you are rushing down Kitana. But one think i realize......cuz i wached it a few times. When you cached him in the corner with b312 and you finish the combo he had alot of time to see what you are gonna do to counter you. So i went to the wab to try to solve the problem and i found something interesting. Let say you cach him with b312x3 or 4 times and you finish with f2 or d1(lorse option, cuz is to slow) , he recovers much faster and if he just tuch the block then you can do whatever you want with him. The big ''+'' is that he has diffrent and shorter timeing for the wake up. I don't know if you know that , cuz i remember that we were trying with the sweep, but tis is better. One more thing....what i found usefull is during rush down dragon stance if you do dragon stance 4(sweep) most of the time they block high expecting the 3 and if thy fall jump over them for more preassure.Try it and tell me what you think. And again you Liu is sick:)

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
im kind of new to kang so this might be a dumb quesition but does anyone use dragon stance and 1 as aa?? ive tried it and have had mixed results.

Altaire

Noob
Liu Kang's zoning makes for some pretty good keepaway, but I think he's a hell of a lot stronger on offense. His zoning can be beaten. His offense, on the other hand, is some of the best in the game. Great D3, D4 and two of the best advancing strings in the game.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I havnt tried this before...but on crossover pressure can kang do dragon stance to move his hitbox? If so, can a db2, 1 work on crossovers? Or even dash out into b312 combo by taking advantage of the wiff jip glitch?

Any ideas?

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
2 is lius best aa normal. 1 is ok but the hit box on it is smaller i believe so i rarely use 1 as a aa. Curbolicious reminds me alot of SONICFOX, a 12 yr old kid who says he can beat anyone offline, but we all saw what happened at NEC to sonic fox. If u ever do go to a offline tournament, youll be in for a surprise. Its not like online.
im well aware that offline is different than online, im preparing for offline and i make sure i dont abuse any tactics that only work online like f12 d3 wiith liu for instance is uninterruptable online. idk if any1 knew that and im pretty sure it doesnt work offline. and marvaz what makes u think ill do bad offline? sonicfox only used online tactics and ppl couldnt even touch his lagg, im not like tht dont underestimate me cuz when u loose to me in pools one day im gonna laugh in ur face

LK is the most underrated character IMO. I think he has the second fastest spammable IAF just behind kabal. (IDK, mileena might be a bit faster). And his normals are pretty good. His d3 is an amazing tool to stuff moves and apply pressure. Also, he can combo off of his Iaf.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Kang can zone well but his offence is much stronger. Go offence first and zone for small periods or if zoneing is a better idea against the player/fighter your up against then thats one of LK options too. Hes a very under rated charecter.

BookBurning

Voidwards
I'll vouch for Curbo that his Liu Kang is top notch; however we'd still like to see you play him at a tournament before making many claims. Come to Final Round, I'll be there along with a ton of other good players. I think you'd enjoy the experience.

And personally I think Liu is a mix of both, similar to Kabal in that aspect except a little offset in that Kabal's zoning is a notch better in my opinion.

Solo

Shadow Priest
I think the most significant difference between Liu Kang and Kabal is that Kabal gets big damage when an air fireball anti airs, whereas the best Liu Kang can do is follow up with a flying kick. Which sucks because I get anti air fireballs all day, son. It's like all I do.
Unless he's in the corner of course. :D

drift221

Shocking Your System
I havnt tried this before...but on crossover pressure can kang do dragon stance to move his hitbox? If so, can a db2, 1 work on crossovers? Or even dash out into b312 combo by taking advantage of the wiff jip glitch?

Any ideas?
What is the wiff jip glitch. and I've seen Xblades dragon stance dash cancel and do a b312 before. Not sure how to cancel or use the dragon stance cancel but Xblades just did it in his new match videos on the front page.

[MENTION=2900]XBlades[/MENTION] I've seen you do some dragon stance mix ups in the corner, and was wondering if you could elaborate on what the dragon stance cancel game strategy is?

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
yeah, he can zone, but, not as his main weapon .... MK roster has , at least, 5-6 characters that are way better zoners than Liu

In other hand, his incredible pressure in rushdown and pressure attacking, is one of the best in the game .... Liu has incredible mix up options, and is deadly, pure deadly, in close combat ... he is ultra dangerous and make you have to guess all the time, if you let him cut distance and coming for ya .....

I think Liu's rushdown pressure is more welcome as his main tactic.

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
Dragon stance cancelling you can do forward dash to cancel out of the animation.... or backdash the theory behind is to make your opponent do wake up attacks, such as kitanas fan lift you forward dash cancel into d+1 and your safe and can block the attack and punish...or jax wake up gotcha grab! I pretty much use it as a bait or feints into my mix up. Once you learn how to use Dragon stance into your gameplay... you will have fun in faking your opponent out and baiting him into stupid stuff. Learning the fundamentals with this character is really important... It will help you on whiff punishing your opponents.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
What is the wiff jip glitch. and I've seen Xblades dragon stance dash cancel and do a b312 before. Not sure how to cancel or use the dragon stance cancel but Xblades just did it in his new match videos on the front page.

[MENTION=2900]XBlades[/MENTION] I've seen you do some dragon stance mix ups in the corner, and was wondering if you could elaborate on what the dragon stance cancel game strategy is?
When u wiff a jip sometimes, you are unable to block. Your opponent can do anything they want after yu hit the ground cause u can't block.

That is why doing crossover punches are so risky against characters like mileena, kitana...etc...

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
When u wiff a jip sometimes, you are unable to block. Your opponent can do anything they want after yu hit the ground cause u can't block.

That is why doing crossover punches are so risky against characters like mileena, kitana...etc...
if u wiff a JIP u are unable to block only if u block low, try in practice mode do a deep JIP and duck and u cant do anything after that. if u wiff a JIP u can attack right after as long as u dont hit down.

as long as u block high ull be fine

if u wiff a JIP u are unable to block only if u block low, try in practice mode do a deep JIP and duck and u cant do anything after that. if u wiff a JIP u can attack right after as long as u dont hit down.

as long as u block high ull be fine
gotta start using that f4 bro

Dragon stance cancelling you can do forward dash to cancel out of the animation.... or backdash the theory behind is to make your opponent do wake up attacks, such as kitanas fan lift you forward dash cancel into d+1 and your safe and can block the attack and punish...or jax wake up gotcha grab! I pretty much use it as a bait or feints into my mix up. Once you learn how to use Dragon stance into your gameplay... you will have fun in faking your opponent out and baiting him into stupid stuff. Learning the fundamentals with this character is really important... It will help you on whiff punishing your opponents.

dragon stance parry when ur opponent is in the corner