What's new

Is Liu Kang more of a zoner or pressure machine? Discussions?

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Well after playing Liu since the game came out i have notice that he has 2 significantly different playstyles you can play around with. Liu can zone almost like kabal. His IAFB are rediculous if used properly. They seem to be just as fast as kabals and they have about the same hitbox too. But also his rushdown is very good with the mixups you can use and mind games you can force on your opponent. If you can zone hitting the IAFB perfectly he will become the next kabal. Also people say he has a hard time playing characters with low projectile like sindel and kabal but in the heat of the moment while shooting the IAFB its actually quiet easy on reaction to fly kick them, sindel's recovery after her low fireball is too long and can be punished fullscreen by Liu's kick. Even against jax he can space him out and use low fire balls to keep him away. He has a dragon stance that not to many people use which could help you space yourself out and when an opponent gets close hit them with a sweep or something because all of dragon stance moves have pretty good range. Let me know what you guys think about this.

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
I agree with you. :)
Liu is pretty underrated and i was really stoked when I heard Reo/cdjr were considering picking him up. I'd love to see him take a major. I also love watching XBlades play, i think he's the best Liu there is right now.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I agree with you. :)
Liu is pretty underrated and i was really stoked when I heard Reo/cdjr were considering picking him up. I'd love to see him take a major. I also love watching XBlades play, i think he's the best Liu there is right now.
oh then u havent seen mines yet, blades liu is good but doesnt utilize any of his enhanced fireball stagger and wakes up with dangerous attacks if u on xbox ill hit u up and show u wut the real liu is supposed to do

oh then u havent seen mines yet, blades liu is good but doesnt utilize any of his enhanced fireball stagger and wakes up with dangerous attacks if u on xbox ill hit u up and show u wut the real liu is supposed to do
Wow, what? You're saying you have a better Liu Kang than XBlades? That's a really bold claim.

You sure do think highly of yourself.

Liu Kang is more rush down than he is zoner, but to really utilize Liu Kang at his fullest you need to learn how to execute iafb. I used to think Liu Kang's zoning was underrated, but I do understand why he is far from the best zoner. Let's compare his zoning to three people: Kabal, Mileena and Sindel. Kabal's iagb are ridiculous, there is no comparison. Worse yet, he can combo off an AA iagb. The same goes for Mileena. Her ias are much slower than Liu Kang's but she can convert AA ias into a full combo. Her general gameplay also helps her excel in footsies and zoning. Sindel can't combo off an iafb, but her ability to keep the opponent at bay is much better than all the characters listed if she were to just spam iafb. When you're facing a trigger happy sindel, it's gonna be hell to go through if you can't counter zone. Her low fire ball also goes under projectiles while Liu kang's can't (at least against most projectiles). The only edge Liu Kang has over sindel's low fire ball is that he can crouch immediately after the low fire ball. Liu Kang's iafb is still very good. Having any projectile that can be done in the air is good, really.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
You sure do think highly of yourself.

Liu Kang is more rush down than he is zoner, but to really utilize Liu Kang at his fullest you need to learn how to execute iafb. I used to think Liu Kang's zoning was underrated, but I do understand why he is far from the best zoner. Let's compare his zoning to three people: Kabal, Mileena and Sindel. Kabal's iagb are ridiculous, there is no comparison. Worse yet, he can combo off an AA iagb. The same goes for Mileena. Her ias are much slower than Liu Kang's but she can convert AA ias into a full combo. Her general gameplay also helps her excel in footsies and zoning. Sindel can't combo off an iafb, but her ability to keep the opponent at bay is much better than all the characters listed if she were to just spam iafb. When you're facing a trigger happy sindel, it's gonna be hell to go through if you can't counter zone. Her low fire ball also goes under projectiles while Liu kang's can't (at least against most projectiles). The only edge Liu Kang has over sindel's low fire ball is that he can crouch immediately after the low fire ball. Liu Kang's iafb is still very good. Having any projectile that can be done in the air is good, really.
first of all if u read my first thing i said in the thread i stated after an iafb and u see sindel do a low fireball u can punish her by fly kicking her, sindel has no chance against liu and lius fireballs are the same speed and recovery as kabals go look at frame data if u want that proof. thats like saying sindel can outzone kabal which cant happen. and liu has potential of being the best becuz of his pressures+iafb being same speed as kabal. if u played me using liu u never get up and have free space cuz i always contain it, if i can get down the iafb i will be able to zone any1 i want at anytime ccept for kabal which would be an even match. like i quoted faded dreams in the "shang is the best character" thread, dont underestimate any1 u have never played

first of all if u read my first thing i said in the thread i stated after an iafb and u see sindel do a low fireball u can punish her by fly kicking her, sindel has no chance against liu and lius fireballs are the same speed and recovery as kabals go look at frame data if u want that proof. thats like saying sindel can outzone kabal which cant happen. and liu has potential of being the best becuz of his pressures+iafb being same speed as kabal. if u played me using liu u never get up and have free space cuz i always contain it, if i can get down the iafb i will be able to zone any1 i want at anytime ccept for kabal which would be an even match. like i quoted faded dreams in the "shang is the best character" thread, dont underestimate any1 u have never played
I never said liu kang loses to sindel, I said that her low fire ball is better because it goes under projectiles.

Kabal's iagb are faster than Liu Kang's iafb and they do more damage. I also said that Kabal can combo off AA iagb. Kabal can do 18.6% dps with iagb, that's 2 iagb per second. Liu Kang does 11.4% dps, that's a little more than 1.5 iafb per second. Sindel can do pretty much the same dps. The thing is, sindel's iafb are mid and not high, meaning it's much harder to approach sindel. With Liu Kang, all you need to do is dash block low and the iafb will whiff. With Sindel, you need to dash block and take the iafb. Sindel gains lots of meter this way and you get chip damage. http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?6444-Kabal-Frame-Data source of the dps.

Don't underestimate anyone you've ever played? Have you played xblades? I'm assuming you have since you said you're a better player than him. If you want people to respect you as a player, go to tournies.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I never said liu kang loses to sindel, I said that her low fire ball is better because it goes under projectiles.

Kabal's iagb are faster than Liu Kang's iafb and they do more damage. I also said that Kabal can combo off AA iagb. Kabal can do 18.6% dps with iagb, that's 2 iagb per second. Liu Kang does 11.4% dps, that's a little more than 1.5 iafb per second. Sindel can do pretty much the same dps. The thing is, sindel's iafb are mid and not high, meaning it's much harder to approach sindel. With Liu Kang, all you need to do is dash block low and the iafb will whiff. With Sindel, you need to dash block and take the iafb. Sindel gains lots of meter this way and you get chip damage. http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?6444-Kabal-Frame-Data source of the dps.

Don't underestimate anyone you've ever played? Have you played xblades? I'm assuming you have since you said you're a better player than him. If you want people to respect you as a player, go to tournies.
i have seen xblades play i think i know wut i am talking about. i see lots of errors that bothers me, the fact that he likes to wake up using perry and bike kick all the time is very unsafe. liu outzones sindel cuz like i said sindel can get punished for her low fireball while liu is iafb'ing. and if i want respect go to tournies? sounds good cuz no1 thought detroit was gonna win cuz he was an "online warrior". and if i do win with liu or sonya is every1 gunna say they are the best?

that frame data could be true not saying it isnt but lius iafb is extremely hard to hit. if someone could possibly get it to its lowest possible hit detection than i think lius is the same if not faster cuz it seems very very fast

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Detroit had already placed high at multiple offline tournaments including a top 8 at Devastation before he won NEC.
true true, but even before he placed high at some of the offline tournys he was called a online warrior. forever king's first offline tournament against m2dave he placed 2nd which i think is real good especially for a first time

i have seen xblades play i think i know wut i am talking about. i see lots of errors that bothers me, the fact that he likes to wake up using perry and bike kick all the time is very unsafe. liu outzones sindel cuz like i said sindel can get punished for her low fireball while liu is iafb'ing. and if i want respect go to tournies? sounds good cuz no1 thought detroit was gonna win cuz he was an "online warrior". and if i do win with liu or sonya is every1 gunna say they are the best?

that frame data could be true not saying it isnt but lius iafb is extremely hard to hit. if someone could possibly get it to its lowest possible hit detection than i think lius is the same if not faster cuz it seems very very fast
Doesn't matter what you see, he may make mistakes when playing the character but maybe his fundamentals are sound. He plays with the socal guys and they're no joke. I also don't understand why you think so highly of yourself. Confidence is good, but cockiness isn't.

Second, detroitballn has loads of offline experience. He's played morty seinfeld offline a lot and has gone to lots of offline tournies.

Does Liu Kang out zone sindel? I'm doubtful, they're probably even since both their iafb are equally fast. Does Liu Kang still beat Sindel? Probably, sucks ass when under pressure and Liu Kang excels in applying pressure. Sindel's zoning is better all-around compared to Liu Kang's however for reasons I've already stated. Sindel's iafb hits mid, Liu Kang's hits high no matter how low you do the iafb. The fact that Sindel's iafb will always get blocked means you eat chip and sindel gets meter.

R0bot1cColumbus

Cybernetic Conquistador
lol i dn how this turned into a pissing contest, but i'm R0bot1cColumbus on XBL if curb or anyone else wants to play. I actually main sub zero but send me a message if you wanna do a liu mirror and i'm 100% down for that. I'm also 100% absolutely not better than xblades :)

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Doesn't matter what you see, he may make mistakes when playing the character but maybe his fundamentals are sound. He plays with the socal guys and they're no joke. I also don't understand why you think so highly of yourself. Confidence is good, but cockiness isn't.

Second, detroitballn has loads of offline experience. He's played morty seinfeld offline a lot and has gone to lots of offline tournies.

Does Liu Kang out zone sindel? I'm doubtful, they're probably even since both their iafb are equally fast. Does Liu Kang still beat Sindel? Probably, sucks ass when under pressure and Liu Kang excels in applying pressure. Sindel's zoning is better all-around compared to Liu Kang's however for reasons I've already stated. Sindel's iafb hits mid, Liu Kang's hits high no matter how low you do the iafb. The fact that Sindel's iafb will always get blocked means you eat chip and sindel gets meter.
but i think if u do lius iafb while sindel does hers liu will jump over hers if she does it at the lowest possible spot and if she jumps higher to execute it then lius fireball will hit her, btw not being cocky bro im just trying to say cuz people really believe im not good cuz of things i know or have experienced

XBlades

To Achieve, You must Believe
but i think if u do lius iafb while sindel does hers liu will jump over hers if she does it at the lowest possible spot and if she jumps higher to execute it then lius fireball will hit her, btw not being cocky bro im just trying to say cuz people really believe im not good cuz of things i know or have experienced
The only way to show how good of a player you are, is to show yourself to the world. That is one of the main reasons I do not play online. If you say your good, I cant wait to fight you! Hopefully I will see you at Final Round if I make arrangements soon. Also on the Sindel Mtchup, I do not think it is wise to play the zoning game. Reason being is that she can not fight inside, and you can use Liu's Rushdown to exploit her wake up game. Also, it is hard to crack the other players strategy when that other player knows that liu kangs wake up attacks is not at par such as a character like Jax lol.

As for discussion, Liu can adapt to any situation whether zoning or rushdown. Since I am all about rushdown, I will say his rushdown is better, but as I adapt to certain situations his zoning ability helps me out allot. I have yet to perfect the two strategies lol.

[MENTION=4647]R0bot1cColumbus[/MENTION] [MENTION=5334]mcpeanuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=7704]Playpal[/MENTION]
Thank you all for the support, I did not realize there are people out there giving me credit for my game play. I work very hard to come up with new strategies and develop new tech and adaptations during matches.

[MENTION=2900]XBlades[/MENTION] I actually haven't seen much of your gameplay. Don't stop playing Liu Kang though lol.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
There Are tons of good kangs...I use him too. He just isn't my main. Eh fireball stagger, the works...I play him because he is a simpler kabal minus the spin and a low that knocks down. Kabal= kang over complicated.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Liu Kang's what I like to call a jack of all trades, if you want to zone, he can compete with pretty much any zoner, if you want to rushdown, he can give you ridiculous pressure. His rushdown might be slightly better than his zoning, but both are far too solid for me to give one a definitive edge over the other, not to mention his parry as a defensive tool, in addition to his flying kick to get in close and his bicycle kick that does respectable damage.

Liu Kang really does have all the offensive and defensive tools you could hope for in a character.

[MENTION=10724]Espio872[/MENTION] Liu Kang is a jack of all trades only in offense. On defense, he falters. Parry is horrible, I've snuffed it out so many times. His specials are really weak, both flying kick and bike kick are really punishable, slow and hit high. His D1 sucks at 10 frames, he's got an average D3 which serves it's purpose in escaping pressure but it won't AA. His wake up options are really limited. Low fire ball is neutral on hit and punishable on block, so all you gotta do is either block low or do meaty D4s. His only real good wake up is ex low fire ball which still isn't that good because you're using meter for your only good wake up attack. Ex bike kick does lots of damage and has armor which is good for escaping pressure but it's always risky. If you knock LK down pretty much, he's gonna have a hard time.

Solo

Shadow Priest
Liu Kang can't have it all. lol

AA = f1,2 d1, or X-Ray

His Parry is very good in corner(especially as AA because you can combo after it.) and against Mileena. So his Parry isn't horrible.

Low Fire = Great Mid and across screen. Even Sindel can be punish up close using her low fireball.

High and iafb have great recovery.

To answer this guys question, Liu Kang is a mixture of both. You gotta know when to zone, and when not. When to rush, and when not.

Who is the better Liu Kang? Mirrors are stupid. IMO.

There Are tons of good kangs...I use him too. He just isn't my main. Eh fireball stagger, the works...I play him because he is a simpler kabal minus the spin and a low that knocks down. Kabal= kang over complicated.
I think the most significant difference between Liu Kang and Kabal is that Kabal gets big damage when an air fireball anti airs, whereas the best Liu Kang can do is follow up with a flying kick. Which sucks because I get anti air fireballs all day, son. It's like all I do.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think the most significant difference between Liu Kang and Kabal is that Kabal gets big damage when an air fireball anti airs, whereas the best Liu Kang can do is follow up with a flying kick. Which sucks because I get anti air fireballs all day, son. It's like all I do.
Good players won't jump as much so getting AA fireballs shouldn't be as big a deal. I agree kabals is better...but thats not what hurts Kang. What hurts kang is what playpal said. Although with proper spacing and tool usage...he is beast.