What's new

Is jumping too strong?

Should jumping get nerfed?

• Total voters

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
We gotta put things in perspective here! Why do you think jumps are strong, what are you trying to AA jumps with? Is it really the button you're trying to Anti-Air with the right button for it?
What factors jump to be too good?

If anything I think Lows shouldn't hit characters who are in the frigging air for starters that is one of the most illogical things in the game since MK9

And finally, this is something Paulo should've been done since Injustice 1, attacks should have crush systems in place to dictate what are they strong to and weak against, it takes a while to do this now, but better later than never, I can't even imagine the nightmare it must be to program fighting games without this and then later on having to listen to your customers complaining of in-satisfaction.

Anyways, it's bad for the health to talk into the wind, NRS stopped caring and yelling from TYM doesn't seem to have any effect either, so hopefully, everything turns out in the future.

gitblame

Noob
Of course it is. Especially online. You know something is wrong when you knock somebody down, you expect him to jump on wakeup, you try to D2 him, but he stll manages to stuff your D2 with his jump kick and kill you.

Risk reward ratio on jumpins is absolutely ridiculous. Like of course I can get D2 and do this tasty 14% (If I am ready and I am on proper range), but If I miss my anti air and you will jump kick me, my life is gone. Yeah, some characters have anti air jabs or crouching buttons, but gravity on those combos is often really strong and almost nobody can convert aa into a scary damage that would force your oponnent to stay on ground. Not to mention, jump kick sweet spot also matches the range of your main attack so of course it's harder to look for multiple options in neutral - that's why jumps are not getting anti aired as much as they should be even on highest tournament level. Add this to slugish movement and how hard is to stay away from your oponnent jumping range.
If I am not convincing you just look at the simple fact. Kung Lao - gimmicky character with huge glaring issues - is now in conversation to be top 10 character only because how strong is his air game.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Yes it is , when i started to jump more i started to win more lol Every time you block jump in you are guessing 50/50 . If u hit it in corner -big combo / midscreen for many characters too . And you risk what ? eating d2 :D ofc some characters is not worth to jump on when they are on point with AAs . For example I main cetrion and i try standing 1 AA them every time into restand combo and mix . SO it depends who you fight and if can they stop ur jumps .

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Personally depends on who YOU play as! Noob saibot has Really Good Anti-airs, where as Terminator may not
(forgive me if he does, I don't spend much time with grapplers)

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Imagine if jumping was as slow as some of the tower modifiers make freeze slow movement.

Imagine the neutral and footsies if jumping was such a huge telegraphed risk lol.

Personally depends on who YOU play as! Noob saibot has Really Good Anti-airs, where as Terminator may not
Your wrong and here's why....

Sure some characters will have better AA options than others. However, every character should be able to AA in general. Not the case in this game lol.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I believe d+3 is very reliable.

If I am not convincing you just look at the simple fact. Kung Lao - gimmicky character with huge glaring issues - is now in conversation to be top 10 character only because how strong is his air game.
What is wrong with a character who has a strong aerial game?

Every move that functions as an anti-aerial attack but cannot anti air consistently obviously ought to be fixed. However, the community should contemplate the idea that perhaps the developers do not universally want you to anti-air all jumping attacks at all ranges with a single button (i.e., Mortal Kombat 9 and Street Fighter 5 in earlier versions of the game). Perhaps you are meant to use a wide variety of anti-aerial attacks such as low pokes, trip guarding, flawless blocking, and spacing, which is precisely what we have observed from players like Ninja Killa and DJT. Also, perhaps some characters are meant to have a weak anti-aerial game because they are very strong on the ground.

kcd117

Noob
What is wrong with a character who has a strong aerial game?

Every move that functions as an anti-aerial attack but cannot anti air consistently obviously ought to be fixed. However, the community should contemplate the idea that perhaps the developers do not universally want you to anti-air all jumping attacks at all ranges with a single button (i.e., Mortal Kombat 9 and Street Fighter 5 in earlier versions of the game). Perhaps you are meant to use a wide variety of anti-aerial attacks such as low pokes, trip guarding, flawless blocking, and spacing, which is precisely what we have observed from players like Ninja Killa and DJT. Also, perhaps some characters are meant to have a weak anti-aerial game because they are very strong on the ground.
Nothing is wrong with a strong air game, but when you have shit like Kitana’s J2 and JK or Lao’s JK that are basically impossible to anti-air and lead to + frames on block and full combos on hit you have a tool just as scrubby as a one size fits all anti-air.

No one is asking for MK9 Smoke’s S2 that will deny any thought of a jump in into a 100% reset, bc that is not okay. Now what makes you think is okay for a character like Kit or Lao to have a JK that denies any kinda of challenge and gives them high dmg on hit and advantage on block? Why is it wrong to have a universal I win button to contest jump ins but it is okay to have a universal I win button to start your turn simply by jumping in?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Nothing is wrong with a strong air game, but when you have shit like Kitana’s J2 and JK or Lao’s JK that are basically impossible to anti-air and lead to + frames on block and full combos on hit you have a tool just as scrubby as a one size fits all anti-air.

No one is asking for MK9 Smoke’s S2 that will deny any thought of a jump in into a 100% reset, bc that is not okay. Now what makes you think is okay for a character like Kit or Lao to have a JK that denies any kinda of challenge and gives them high dmg on hit and advantage on block? Why is it wrong to have a universal I win button to contest jump ins but it is okay to have a universal I win button to start your turn simply by jumping in?
Anti airing jumping attacks is difficult, which is why players take a lot of time to master this ability, yet the options are present, even against the most powerful and obnoxious jumping attacks. All characters can at least flawless block and u+3 in order to stop the offense and get their turn back.

One button anti aerial attacks that lead to combos or resets, as seen in Mortal Kombat 9 and early versions of Street Fighter 5, never work because they tend to only benefit characters with exceptional ground games such as Smoke in Mortal Kombat 9 and Karin in Street Fighter 5. So not only do these characters beat you on the ground, but you can never jump on them either.

I agree that anti-aerial attacks are not ideal. Perhaps the ideal solution would be to implement invincible or armored anti-aerial special moves, but the community has vehemently protested armor since Mortal Kombat X even though armored moves were genuinely the only effective way to anti air. In some sense, Mortal Kombat X became even more friendly to offense and jumping when armor was removed from many characters.

This anti air dilemma has been exacerbated anyway. Remember when Mortal Kombat was going to die because of the "broken" option select? Or the altered flawless blocking mechanics? I certainly do.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I've eaten so many jump kicks trying to d3, s1, d2, d1, etc. against a jump in.

Just give D2 invincibility against attacks in the air. Problem solved.

kcd117

Noob
I agree that anti-aerial attacks are not ideal. Perhaps the ideal solution would be to implement invincible or armored anti-aerial special moves, but the community has vehemently protested armor since Mortal Kombat X even though armored moves were genuinely the only effective way to anti air. In some sense, Mortal Kombat X became even more friendly to offense and jumping when armor was removed from many characters.
Personally I hate armor, it really makes the neutral game worse and it eventually becomes a panic button. Iframes like the U2s added to the D2s startup could fix it, but the one thing I'd really like to see if they stay as obnoxious as they are hitbox-wise would be jump kicks causing a splat knockdown like NJK used to in MKX and being more negative on block, and jump punches being free as hell to any kinda of anti air, but leading to + frames and combos.

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
i feel like every character should have a fail-proof anti-air of some sort. personally i hate jumping i think it's a scrubby way to close space and should be used to telegraph a projectile. i die inside having my d2 stuffed by kabal and baraka. bullshit.

When I jump kick a lot, I started winning a lot. That should tell you something. Very few people know how to deal with constant jump kicks that they just resort to blocking and getting nowhere.