What's new

Is Jonnny worth learning?

Ludaaak

Noob
Is Johnny worth learning. I’ve read through the threads on him and from what I see his abilities are pretty underwhelming and his tournament variations suck ass. I loved playing Johnny on MK9, he had awesome mixup capability, insane rushdown capability with frametraps and his standing reset. But on this game he seems kind of average. I love him as a character though and it’s so upsetting he doesn’t seem too viable.

Someone for the love of god, change my mind

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Realtalk, youtube Kompetitor Johnny Kombat Cup. I’ve been trying to steer the General Discussion thread away from all the bitching to avoid giving new players this impression, but I see I was too late, my son. I couldn’t save you then, so let me save you now.

F344 is a god tier normal. It’s one of the easiest hitconfirms. If it lands, cancel into nutpunch, amp, micro dash b2, micro dash f4 nutpunch. If it’s blocked, it fully resets neutral and puts you at a great range to mess with the opponent. Jump in, back dash, do it again, whatever you want. Observe their patterns when they block one of these.

The main problem landing f344 is that it’s high. 2 ways to mitigate this. The first is f44. Solid safe mid string. Can cancel f4 into caged rage, the unblockable. Once it’s blocked once, it becomes 15f and if you do 12 into caged raged it’s a true block string.

The other way to stop people from crouching your f344 is using d4. Johnny has one of the best d4’s in the game. It’s +17 on hit. That means if you practice your timing, you can jail them into a f344 after a d4 hits. They cannot do anything except block, not even duck, or they eat the f344. Use this for mindgames, d4 into f3 throw. D4 into dash throw, etc. If you end combos in nutpunch, your opponent has to guess between D4 and your throw.

Forceballs are the 2nd best projectile in the game behind Sonya’s rings. Pepper them in as often as possible to disrupt your opponent’s rythm. If you’re getting outspaced, try shimmying (walk in and out) and throwing them in midrange. Amped forceballs are also + on block, so you can use them off of f344 or f4 for even more pressure. They also jail in block strings.

This applies to all new players, not just Johnny mains- jump ins. If you land a jump in 2, it combos into f344. If they block jump in 2, they’re jailed into f344 (have to block it). You have to input f344 while still airborne, but practice this. Creates an innate mixup between jump in 2 and a string, or jump in 2 into throw.

Finally, if you wna play Johnny, get comfortable moving. Fuck wavedashing. Too much work for not enough reward. Get comfortable cancelling single dashes into blocks repeatedly, or into normals. Link 2 dashes at most.

Good luck. If you put in the work, you can body everyone you meet with Johnny.
Oh, but I wouldn’t play him into female characters. Forceballs whiff them on block right now due to hitbox bugs.

If you’re on PC, I can help more.

Last edited:

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Hop on the train now so that when he gets his buffs, no one can call you a tier whore
:DOGE

Seriously, though, he rewards strong fundamentals for sure. He may not have the same insane rushdown as he did in 9 and X, but he still has ways to keep the opponent guessing as long as you don't auto pilot.

It takes getting used to, especially if you're coming in with that rushdown mindset, but I can't think of a character more satisfying to win with, once you get it down.

He's an OK character. There's nothing particularly bad about him aside from his KB requirements, but there's nothing all that great or special either. Playing him is sort of like playing Liu Kang, except you need to put in twice the amount of work for half the reward.

He does have the best intros and fatalities in the game, though, so he's very much worth picking up just for those.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Is Johnny worth learning. I’ve read through the threads on him and from what I see his abilities are pretty underwhelming and his tournament variations suck ass. I loved playing Johnny on MK9, he had awesome mixup capability, insane rushdown capability with frametraps and his standing reset. But on this game he seems kind of average. I love him as a character though and it’s so upsetting he doesn’t seem too viable.

Johnny is a solid character. He does have far to many highs but does have decent mid options and can certainly condition his plus in blocks. Johnny is hard to use and requires conditioning to be successful.
Kombat was the only one who beat SonicFox and he did so with Johnny Cage.

His KB's on another level of abysmal and I think he could benefit from better mids but apparently there is ways to use him against characters like Geras and Erron Black. I'm no Johnny main so maybe he doesn't need anything.

mrapchem

Noob
Realtalk, youtube Kompetitor Johnny Kombat Cup. I’ve been trying to steer the General Discussion thread away from all the bitching to avoid giving new players this impression, but I see I was too late, my son. I couldn’t save you then, so let me save you now.

F344 is a god tier normal. It’s one of the easiest hitconfirms. If it lands, cancel into nutpunch, amp, micro dash b2, micro dash f4 nutpunch. If it’s blocked, it fully resets neutral and puts you at a great range to mess with the opponent. Jump in, back dash, do it again, whatever you want. Observe their patterns when they block one of these.

The main problem landing f344 is that it’s high. 2 ways to mitigate this. The first is f44. Solid safe mid string. Can cancel f4 into caged rage, the unblockable. Once it’s blocked once, it becomes 15f and if you do 12 into caged raged it’s a true block string.

The other way to stop people from crouching your f344 is using d4. Johnny has one of the best d4’s in the game. It’s +17 on hit. That means if you practice your timing, you can jail them into a f344 after a d4 hits. They cannot do anything except block, not even duck, or they eat the f344. Use this for mindgames, d4 into f3 throw. D4 into dash throw, etc. If you end combos in nutpunch, your opponent has to guess between D4 and your throw.

Forceballs are the 2nd best projectile in the game behind Sonya’s rings. Pepper them in as often as possible to disrupt your opponent’s rythm. If you’re getting outspaced, try shimmying (walk in and out) and throwing them in midrange. Amped forceballs are also + on block, so you can use them off of f344 or f4 for even more pressure. They also jail in block strings.

This applies to all new players, not just Johnny mains- jump ins. If you land a jump in 2, it combos into f344. If they block jump in 2, they’re jailed into f344 (have to block it). You have to input f344 while still airborne, but practice this. Creates an innate mixup between jump in 2 and a string, or jump in 2 into throw.

Finally, if you wna play Johnny, get comfortable moving. Fuck wavedashing. Too much work for not enough reward. Get comfortable cancelling single dashes into blocks repeatedly, or into normals. Link 2 dashes at most.

Oh, but I wouldn’t play him into female characters. Forceballs whiff them on block right now due to hitbox bugs.

All. Of. This.

Ludaaak

Noob

I’m on PlayStation. Would have loved to lab him with you.

You make a solid case dude. I’ve hit the lab with him a little. Might give him a few weeks of my efforts before I come to a conclusion.

Iconic Horror

Behold The Kingdom Of The Wretched Undying

I've been maining D'vorah for a bit now. I started with Kollector and moved to the bug lady because I thought she was dope as fuck and I have had so much fun with her. I made her my main because I have the most fun playing her and with that, inevitably I got pretty solid with her. Treat Johnny the same way. ;)

Ludaaak

Noob
I've been maining D'vorah for a bit now. I started with Kollector and moved to the bug lady because I thought she was dope as fuck and I have had so much fun with her. I made her my main because I have the most fun playing her and with that, inevitably I got pretty solid with her. Treat Johnny the same way. ;)
Pretty solid only gets you so far. No matter how great the driver is, if the car sucks then the car sucks.

Point of this post was to get constructive input.

Iconic Horror

Behold The Kingdom Of The Wretched Undying
Pretty solid only gets you so far. No matter how great the driver is, if the car sucks then the car sucks.

Point of this post was to get constructive input.
The Johnny's I have fought I've noticed his normals have incredible reach, I believe I heard he doesn't have many mids to condition with but whatever he has I'm sure it's better than just a d1 (D'vorah). His KB's requirements suck. Projectiles are fast but when meterburned it's not plus in pressure like in X and both projectiles are highs. (why). His combos look pretty damaging and fun to do. He has a mixup after restand if he's gonna throw or do a normal. That's all I have for constructive input.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I would say yes just because he's about as honest as they come, and will get help down the road. Whether it comes in the form of slight buffs for him, or normalization of the broken characters (or both), he will get help. And when he does, you'll already know your shit with him and be way ahead of those that will inevitably jump on his bandwagon when the patches come.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I’m on PlayStation. Would have loved to lab him with you.

You make a solid case dude. I’ve hit the lab with him a little. Might give him a few weeks of my efforts before I come to a conclusion.
Having explored a lot of the cast, he definitely has some very unique tools. Stick with him, but have a secondary to play into females. I also recommend joining us in the general discussion thread. Lotta complaints, but some tech sprinkled in here and there if you can sift through it. And the “Nope” thing was a sarcastic in joke, since I keep getting called a “Johnny defender.”
;)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Any character you want to learn is worth learning, especially if they fit your playstyle. The game is a month old, wait for the first round of buffs before discounting anyone, these things always change with NRS games especially early on.