What's new

Question - Cryomancer Is it really that bad? with a Buff thread

Hi,

Whilst I wait for a new mkx patch, I decided to mess around with a character deemed shit for a bit of fun amongst a game two-face would love. This is where I came to cryo, the dead variation of the game. I played and played and I have actually won a ton of games with him. it may be due to the lack of experience people have had, cyro isn't that bad or I am a god on earth.

Subs poke game is extremely strong with d3 and d4 being pretty safe on block especially d3. His f4 string (remember to hit confirm) is pretty good which leads to a ton of damage. He has the highest damage potential in cryo and a lot of characters struggle to keep up. Yes he has his issues (upcoming) but he does have his strengths.

Strengths
-pokes
-damage
-50/50
-damage again
-whiff punish potentail

Weakness
-No crazy shit other characters have
-honesty
-no insane pressure that carries the top tiers
-No safe or plus 50/50s that seem to be the game

He gets easily around 40% of converts or touches that other characters dream of. 48% of a wrong guess is decent and don't forget his cheeky b12 reset.

Buffs
- I wanna see him have a new nip
-Exhammer smash needs to be a lot quicker on startup perhaps 12f-15f
-f4 reach further
-iceball to link of f4 string cuz why not
-faster d2
-Air hammer to have a use
- A teleport like the one from mkvsdc YAAAASS

" i may be going over the top but why not. the character would be so fun.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
-Just because a character is displayed at a top level, doesn't mean they're bad. Look at jason. People thought he was trash,till sonic fox played him. You get me?

anything you wanna argue. go for it. the cryo threads are dead ;-;
Sonicfox didnt even touch jason until he was buffed and before he was buffed he was okay reo was still making top 8s

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
@UsedForGlue You seem to know the alt variations of Sub better than anyone. Thoughts?
Thanks.

Unbreakable and then Cryomancer were my first two variations in the game, and although Cryomancer got some love, he basically got damage, and all his other problems were just glossed over.

His variations are not the issue really, apparent from Cryomancer not having a unique NJP, his uppercut being 1 frame slower and no real other strings added, but it is his base move set that is the issue.

11 should be +2, like most other 11 options in this game.
112 should have pushback on block.
114 should be safe on block or provide a HKD, right now, it does neither.
His lack of normal offence or any stagger makes building meter with him outside of a Klone almost impossible, while UB and Cryo cost a lot of meter to be effective.

His B12 needs a third hit option, possibly a get off me/push back mid hit.
F42 needs to combo normal ice ball.

His X-Ray needs to travel like it did in MK9.

His normal ice ball is too slow on start up to be utilised in any other variation outside of Grandmaster, as it's only valid when protected behind a Klone, and for that matter, MB ice ball needs to be a threat at all times. I don't see why Ronin's MB projectile is plus on block for no reason but others like MB Ice ball just get no treatment.

Once his base set is fixed, his other variations will just fall in to place with minimal buffs and adjustments to them.