What's new

Question Is it possible to play and not get better?

I recently just started playing cyborg and I like his play style but its a nightmare fighting pretty much everyone except grundy. Its a nightmare because everyone has stupid moves that allow them a free-non meter wall bounce. As cyborg.. I feel like I don't have options except hook and nova blasts. What exactly could I be doing wrong? I find it hard to jump in on people as well. Cyborgs jump ins seem odd. Like the J2 doesn't cross up as well as others. Its actually kind of frustrating because none of the characters I like seem up to par with like batman, superman, aquaman etc.

I personally like cyborg, shazam and hawkgirl. I guess I didn't pick the right ones.

I don't play Cyborg but I know there are a few good ones out there that have lit me up pretty bad....those guys didn't really try to jump in on me more than once or twice in a fight; mostly they focused on zoning the hell out of me. I'm still seeing plasma blast and rockets everywhere. From what I could tell, they used a strategy involving zoning first and then trying to jump in when I got conditioned to expect certain zoning attacks.

Wigy

There it is...
If you refuse to change certain part of your game then yes.

When you initially start playing getting better is easy. As you get further on you'll hit plateaus where you need to stop and think about what needs improving

dabuz

Noob
Well, sometimes you might be playing a character who you like but just doesn't feel right to play with. Besides that it's all about taking the time to search for other options if you feel limited.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
Watching replays of your matches helps A LOT. Lets you see holes in your strategy clearer than anything else will.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
You're playing the character incorrectly. Cyborg is the best zoner in the game, he's a keepaway character that can make his strings safe with fireball cancels. His grapple has armor to gtfo when they get close to you. You're probably playing him like a rushdown character, which he's not.

LEARN HOW TO IAFB.

How do you even save replays? ALso, does anyone know how to use cyborgs missles well? I don't understand the purpose.
You record your games with a capture card.

Use missiles to end your combos, and to add pressure to your zoning. They're overheads that forces them to block, use that to either get in or get out.

practice makes perfect. put on some music and hit the training room. :)
I have put in hours in the training room but when I go online.. it all changes.. I can't remember my training unless I am in the training room. its weird. I also never pull off the combos I made in the training when I am online.

I know what you mean. Something about playing against complete strangers is kind of off putting.
In order to get over that feeling quickly, try playing the arcade mode and fight computerized opponents. Inviting friends to play is next easiest step, then move on to playing online again. Playing on stream chats help considerably, and if possible, going to weeklies or tournaments.

I know what you mean. Something about playing against complete strangers is kind of off putting.
In order to get over that feeling quickly, try playing the arcade mode and fight computerized opponents. Inviting friends to play is next easiest step, then move on to playing online again. Playing on stream chats help considerably, and if possible, going to weeklies or tournaments.
I don't mind playing strangers its just that I can't perform well when people actively moving around and such. but when I go into training.. I can easily put down some decent combos.

I hate how armor interacts with some projectiles in this game.. the armor on the grapple hook is worthless against batman or death stroke because its only one hit of armor. Death stroke and batman have projectiles that hit two times in one use of the projectile..

I hate how armor interacts with some projectiles in this game.. the armor on the grapple hook is worthless against batman or death stroke because its only one hit of armor. Death stroke and batman have projectiles that hit two times in one use of the projectile..
Why the hell are you trying to grapple when they're shooting from far away, just block and then jump and shoot a fireball. If you can't do an iafb then you should practice them more or you'll really be forced to come in. Shoot missiles when they're at midscreen to make them jump and them fireball them.
I guess the best advice would be to find a good Cyborg player on TYM and play against them until u learn how to correctly play the character. I'm sure someone will help...
Or just pick up an easy new character of course until you feel decent enough at the game to try a new character

Why the hell are you trying to grapple when they're shooting from far away, just block and then jump and shoot a fireball. If you can't do an iafb then you should practice them more or you'll really be forced to come in. Shoot missiles when they're at midscreen to make them jump and them fireball them.
I guess the best advice would be to find a good Cyborg player on TYM and play against them until u learn how to correctly play the character. I'm sure someone will help...
Or just pick up an easy new character of course until you feel decent enough at the game to try a new character
I don't understand that first part. If I block their projectile and then juimp and shoot a fireball. How does that help me? Unless you mean jump forward?

I don't understand that first part. If I block their projectile and then juimp and shoot a fireball. How does that help me? Unless you mean jump forward?
Cyborg is a zoning character, the easiest way for him to win is by shooting air fireballs. If you don't plan on zoning the other character then you may need to find a new character or get used to slowly walking in and blocking all of the projectiles

Cyborg is a zoning character, the easiest way for him to win is by shooting air fireballs. If you don't plan on zoning the other character then you may need to find a new character or get used to slowly walking in and blocking all of the projectiles
what if you are fighting someone with a better a projectile? I regularly lose to harley quinn and joker and deather stroke because of their projectiles and I am playing cyborg. His projectile moves too slow compared to their instant speed bullets.

what if you are fighting someone with a better a projectile? I regularly lose to harley quinn and joker and deather stroke because of their projectiles and I am playing cyborg. His projectile moves too slow compared to their instant speed bullets.
Have you read any of the guides on the Cyborg forum? If you can't outzone them then you could try either dashing every time you block a projectile or possibly using the grapple hook to get closer right after a projectile as well. If done close enough to the ground though Cyborg does have the best projectile in the game but if you can't do those then you'll probably just have to walk in against Deathstroke just like the rest of the cast. Set the AI to shoot at you continuously with Deathstroke or Batman and try getting in or watch the expert level Cyborg try to get in on you while you spam guns with Deathstroke