What's new

Is it Possible and How? 2v2 Offline?

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I was just wondering, IF I D/L the 4 Player unlocker for Mame and get a PS2-to-USB port for my PS2 Multi-tap, then plug in 4 PS2 controllers, once the buttons are set-up, will the unlocker automatically read or does it only switch via IP or CPU or will it go from player-to-player? Can this be done and how would I go about setting it up? I know there are only two controllers for UMK3 on the TAB-menu, but would it just read them the same for all 4 controllers once the buttons are set? I know Shock and possibly some others were discussing this for a Tournament, but it never happened.

Anyone with "inside info" who can shed some light on the situtation. If it is possible, I would definitely like to have it set-up here at home for casuals and that way when I have 3-4 people here there won't be any waiting period. hook me up, Guys!

I always had an idea to test with someone with a mame cab 2p setup run a back to back setup through a lan network over p2p. It just seems like it would be awesome

Tim Static

Adminerator
We did on regular mame years ago at tourneys.

its not hard at all.

4 sticks/pads plugged in 2 as P1 and 2 as P2. Player not playing keeps hands under the table because you can use both sticks/pads at the same time.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
We did on regular mame years ago at tourneys.

its not hard at all.

4 sticks/pads plugged in 2 as P1 and 2 as P2. Player not playing keeps hands under the table because you can use both sticks/pads at the same time.
And you used a PS2 Multi-tap for the 4 -controller connector with a USB converter?

Dark_Rob

Noob
And you used a PS2 Multi-tap for the 4 -controller connector with a USB converter?
No all you need is 4 controllers and a USB hub if you dont have enough ports on your PC. Like Tim said you map 2 controllers to player 1 and 2 controllers to player 2. Since all controllers are always active the players not currently playing just dont touch they're controller.

At NEC last year we had about 8 different controllers(which I think is the maximum for MAME) hooked up at once. Now that was a headache to set up.

Also you dont need whatever this unlocker program your talking about is. This works with just normal 2v2 offline on MAME.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
thnx guys....the idea was just do it with the materials i already have and not have to buy extra stuff, which includes 4 PS2 controllers, a multi-tap, but i guess it can't be done. Is that adapter a 4 controller port for USB or what? Why would I need a "couple" of them? My PC only has twin ports for 2 controllers, unfortunately....if I got a pair of USB splitters, 1 for each, would it read the 4 controllers the same way?

Dark_Rob

Noob
thnx guys....the idea was just do it with the materials i already have and not have to buy extra stuff, which includes 4 PS2 controllers, a multi-tap, but i guess it can't be done. Is that adapter a 4 controller port for USB or what? Why would I need a "couple" of them? My PC only has twin ports for 2 controllers, unfortunately....if I got a pair of USB splitters, 1 for each, would it read the 4 controllers the same way?
I dont know what this multi tap your talking about is. If you already have 2 USB ports then all you would need is one USB hub to give you the other 2 you need. Also you seem to be thinking that what USB port you use directly affects whether the controller is player 1 or player 2. This is not true. You can have just one USB port and plug a USB hub and all your controllers into that one port and still have it work. What player the controller is used for is determined in the MAME input settings and has nothing to do with what USB port the controller itself is in.

The device Tim linked you to is an Inpin PS2 to PS3 converter. What it really does is converts the PS2 controller to give it a USB plug. You need a couple of them because 1 converter works for 1 controller. Perhaps this multi tap thing you have does the same thing, since Ive never heard of it I can not say. If it does however and your original question of whether this will work with MAME then Id have to say yes. Since MAME itself controls what controllers are directed to what players whether you have all your controllers plugged into one device is irrelevant. MAME will know the difference so long as you program it to do so.

Justice

Noob
I dont know what this multi tap your talking about is.
Kids today, I tell ya ;)

When I was your age, we had to use these things called multi-taps because consoles only had 2 controller ports (no bluetooth, etc.). A multi-tap was a device that would plug into a controller port and had 4 controller ports on them. Pretty much the exact same as a USB hub, just with the system's controller ports instead.

nwo

Noob
Hey AREZ. You mentioned my "Unlocker" program. It only works online, and it only works with MAME. To do 2v2 offline, these guys have the right idea, just assign 2 controllers to both Player1 and Player2, and keep your hands under the table until your partner dies.

I've thought about it in the past, of adding an "offline" tournament mode to the UMK3 Unlocker, for 119. It would display user names above the powerbars, and update them instantly on the fly, and your controller WOULDN'T work until your partner died. The online problems we sometimes have wouldn't exist and the controls would switch instantly. Playing 2v2 offline with perfectly positioned user names and dual screens, would be cool, even if you had to keep your hands under the table.