What's new

Is it just me or does Core Overload not work?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I was trying to find combos with it and I realized that it doesnt actually buff the damage at all. The only thing it does is when you meter burn it and it detonates (ala MKX Predator). But it doesnt increase your damage, no matter the combo.
Am I doing something wrong here?

It does buff damage, however it's so stupid that i must asume it isn't working as intended.
It buffs back4, 223 and 224. That's about it.
Oh and the proyectile DB2.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I just came here to ask this. Now seeing the responses... this move is awful. Total waste of a slot.

Soz for necro. Scrub w thoughts.

1. It would be great if it buffed more things, like anything that utilizes a system enhanced/enabled by her core (thematically). So, bf3, super, things that use drills (Lunge, throw, b32d1, hop1/2) or cryomantic weapons (Barrage, f2, d4, b2212), possibly allow Calving to soak an extra projectile, or any combination of the above.

2. That said, I forgot to mention that it DOES also buff Microburst currently.

3. Even in it's current state, I would rather have Overload than Calving in T2. Unblockables are cheap. Cheap is hilarious. Hilarious is fun. Hard to balance? Maybe. But FUN.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
3. Even in it's current state, I would rather have Overload than Calving in T2. Unblockables are cheap. Cheap is hilarious. Hilarious is fun. Hard to balance? Maybe. But FUN.
I kinda disagree with you there. While slow-ish and not good against double projectiles, it will shut down mid-long to long range zoning and when you follow it with her arc projectile (DF2), it's a great counter-zoning tool. Even if they have a fast projectile recovery and trade with your arc projectile (DF2F) after Calving their previous projectile, your hard knockdown DF2 will ALWAYS give you an advantage and they will inevitably want to close the distance.

@Kindred I can't argue any of that. I just feel like against a lot of the cast I don't really want to be caught out having to play the zoning game at range anyway, so a tool that helps me keep up in a strat that I'm not excelling at in the first place is less valuable to me than a tool to maintain offense when I do get in. To be sure, I'm not great and only speaking from experience/preference. I'm not saying that Calving is bad or Frost can't zone, just that I would rather a slightly different strategic focus.

I only used this move because I thought it was an actual dmg buff and it was the first brutality I unlocked for frost besides the klassic. I thought it was bugged because I noticed it wasn't boosting any of my combos. Now that I know it only boosts 2 moves I'll probably switch it out now.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
just a poor move design. her ice box move is actually bugged tho. i dont know the actual name atm but the captain cold trait move is broken in a bad way lol

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
just a poor move design. her ice box move is actually bugged tho. i dont know the actual name atm but the captain cold trait move is broken in a bad way lol
After hearing that core overload is working properly, I'm convinced that the Captain Cold trap move is actually functioning properly, and is supposed to be terrible. lol

Reactions: JSF

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
After hearing that core overload is working properly, I'm convinced that the Captain Cold trap move is actually functioning properly, and is supposed to be terrible. lol
im starting to think the story/lore is more telling than anything. Frost is a joke canonically so shes a joke competitively -_-

I thought the core trap was acting weird. It feels like unless they are touching the edges of the box they won;t be frozen. If they stand inside the box they are in no danger of being frozen. It sounded like a cool move but 2 skill slots and requires a bar to even use put me off it.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Or they just dash and projectile out of your orb range.
I think thats easier said than done.

The whole idea of zoning you out is staying far away. Even if they block the blast with the hopes of dashing forward afterward, the far range core discharge is still +28f on block. So by the time they start moving, your next one is coming fast. One possible recourse they can try is to block the core discharge and throw a projectile immediately. In which case, they will hit you but the hard knockdown of your second projectile will catch them, and they are back at a disadvantage.

Their only choice, if they dont have a teleport or double projectile, is to stop zoning and get closer.

Wigy

There it is...
I think thats easier said than done.

The whole idea of zoning you out is staying far away. Even if they block the blast with the hopes of dashing forward afterward, the far range core discharge is still +28f on block. So by the time they start moving, your next one is coming fast. One possible recourse they can try is to block the core discharge and throw a projectile immediately. In which case, they will hit you but the hard knockdown of your second projectile will catch them, and they are back at a disadvantage.

Their only choice, if they dont have a teleport or double projectile, is to stop zoning and get closer.
It's actually easy as shit to do I do with cage. Even if it's on target they can just neutral duck and no plus frames. It's really not good.

The bf3 is awful on trades as well.

Last edited:

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
It's actually easy as shit to do I do with cage. Even if it's on target they can just neutral duck and no plus frames. It's really not good.

The bf3 is awful on trades as well.
But now we are just looking at the different situations and how to respond. Like if I abuse it, the person will catch on and neutral crouch. But then I will just mix it up with her projectile ice stars (and even enhance it for the extra 4 projectiles). The person is going to have to get close eventually and when they are in range of B2, you start your pressure.
Im just saying that the only character that successfully zoned me an entire match so far was Cetrion.

Unless you have double projectiles and know her shortcomings, the vast majority of the cast that doesnt will avoid zoning. Characters that benefit from a trade (like SZ) will be more likely to try but as soon as you get the upper hand, it's hard for them to take it back. Many of them just get in range and slide.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
I thought the core trap was acting weird. It feels like unless they are touching the edges of the box they won;t be frozen. If they stand inside the box they are in no danger of being frozen. It sounded like a cool move but 2 skill slots and requires a bar to even use put me off it.
yea as it is now it only works if they touch the edges which hasto be a bug because it costs SO MUCH and then the damage scales a ton too. it just needs to be fixed and retooled. it shouldnt cost meter if it takes 2 slots AND scales and if its gonna cost meter it shouldnt take 2 slots

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
You guys do know you can amplify Core Overload to make it like Predator's self destruct in MKX? Seems like a cheap move at first glance.

The icebox/core trap lasts a long time and you get frozen fast when you are inside the edges, doesn't seem bugged to me. Combine this ability with microburst for setups. You can get a freeze from a throw and whatnot.

You guys do know you can amplify Core Overload to make it like Predator's self destruct in MKX? Seems like a cheap move at first glance.

The icebox/core trap lasts a long time and you get frozen fast when you are inside the edges, doesn't seem bugged to me. Combine this ability with microburst for setups. You can get a freeze from a throw and whatnot.
You need to touch the edges for like 3 seconds straight to get frozen, its bs. If you are inside the trap, you only take small DOT.

trufenix

bye felicia

actually use her a minute, any move combination, any variation, any level player. Her move list is completely janked.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
One possible recourse they can try is to block the core discharge and throw a projectile immediately. In which case, they will hit you but the hard knockdown of your second projectile will catch them, and they are back at a disadvantage.
Then that's when the desperation comes into play. Love seeing my opponent panic when this happens.

trufenix

bye felicia
Keep your worthless opinions to yourself friend
Fuck you and your opinions too, then.

I love her. But her move design is bork, thats all. She doesn't work like any other zoner, counter zoner, pressure, or trap character in the game. She has no mixups, can't control space and half her projectiles don't hit unless spaced absolutely perfect. She has to take more risks than Kano and Kotal to be successful, and she is at the mercy of literally every one else in the game w/ a fireball or teleport, except maybe D'Vorah. Including in Kahns.

Again, none of this is downplay, because I win with her plenty and I love every minute of it. But, her shit is broke if its supposed to work like anyone else does, that's all. Once thats fixed, then she'll be a lot better for everybody.

Honestly, I don't even think she needs to be fixed the worst. She's dysfunctional, but she's not useless. b,f+3, b+2,2,1,2 and b+3,2,d+1 go a long way in unfamiliar matchups, but it doesn't take a Scorpion of much skill to realize he can beat you to all your pokes up close, out damage you on every hit confirm, and teleport literally all of your zoning options on reaction.