What's new

Is injustice's combo system too restrictive?

I think it is. There are not a lot of high damage midscreen combos without meter or trait for some characters. I also feel like there aren't enough combo starters in the game for some characters. We even see a lot of the same combos in the game from different players. Anyway, that's just my take.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
nah i dont think so maybe its your character ? certain levels are way more combo friendly also try metropolis with those machine guns , or solitudes lazer thingy :)

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
A combo is a combo. They are called bread and butters for a reason. Certain characters are also better on certain areas of the screen also. Some characters are better everywhere. That is just how fighting games are.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
It is way too restrictive. It's one of the main reasons why playing this game has become so zzzZZZZZzzzz. The problem is magnified with the top tiers - there is no reason to do anything but the 1 bnb with 1 or 2 variations for all of them. There are only a few (low tier) characters in the game where different players use different combos (Ares for example) but that has more to do with them not having any great choices as opposed to attempting to be creative or find better tech.

And that's the problem - better tech just isn't out there. Bounce cancels are a joke and one of NRS's biggest failures when it came to this game.

There are plenty of times you're in the lab trying to come up with combos and hit upon things that *should* work but don't, due to weird engine rules or wonky hitboxes etc. It really limits things.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I dunno std gabriel is talking about, what the issue is the payout for more demanding combos is terrible compared to simple bnbs.

This is something that has plagued NRS's games for years. A great example is shazam:

Ji2-F12-d1xxHerculean might = 23%
Ji2-F12-d2-b2xxHerculean might = 23%

But the latter is much more demanding

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
This is why I don't understand why Injustice doesn't have dash cancelling. It would have opened up an entire new set of combo possibilities and set-ups. Why did NRS take a step back when it comes to character mobility and attack options? You may not be able to dash block anymore, but you could at least be able to cancel a dash with a jump or a normal/special move etc.

MagicMan357

This is why I don't understand why Injustice doesn't have dash cancelling. It would have opened up an entire new set of combo possibilities and set-ups. Why did NRS take a step back when it comes to character mobility and attack options? You may not be able to dash block anymore, but you could at least be able to cancel a dash with a jump or a normal/special move etc.
You dont need dash blocking, its not mk. Theres no need, but what i will say is why the hell is MB f3/b3 pointless in a string? It gives no advantage for anything at all, not even in combo. The only thing i know is that you can combo of lobo's 11xxMB F3/B3 cancel but thats it.
As for other methods of canceling i agree

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
What are you talking about? Every game has max damage bnb's. It would be silly to do anything else.

Meter is so damn abundant in this game too. I use 2 bar combos all the time and I have never felt like it wasn't worth it.

Then again, I play Lobo and all of his combos are 40-50+%

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It does feel very limited, even more so then MK9.

Their combo system is very manufactured. They need to move away from the rigid strings, and the idea that normals should never link into each other on the ground.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
MB F3/B3 is indeed useless. Not really worth 2 bars for not that much flexibility to extend the combo.
I find it's good to use them when they can't clash. With Lobo it gives his low starter a full combo where the opponent would normally take the low over the overhead since the overhead leads to huge damage.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Exactly. They took a massive step backwards when it comes to combos in this game and for pretty much all the reasons you stated. MK combos are far superior. However their are exceptions. Batman has a decent set of combos as well as a few other characters. I can only imagine what this game would be like if they added dash canceling. Seems silly for them to give so much freedom in mk , then take it away for Injustice.

Also to those saying this isn't mk, yes im aware of that. But adding a dash cancel isn't going to make this game mk. It would just give it more depth.

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
If I read "this game is boring because the combos suck" one more time, I'm going to strangle a rabbit.

The reason this game sucks has nothing to do with combo variation. I hate how people judge other people based on the combos that they do too (Dat infamous "seriously? that's the only combo you know with him? I know 4 or 5 with him so I'm better" argument).

The goal of a fighting game is to be the first player to deal 100% (or 200% in Injustice's case) damage to your opponent. Combos are just a way to deal that damage. Who is the better player? The one that wins landing the same 20% damage combo 5 times, or the one who has a 20%, a 25%, a 35%, and a 41% combo but he loses because he can't set them up? OBVIOUSLY the latter one right?

Who f***ing cares about combo variation? High level fighting game play (excluding Injustice) is fun to watch because it's like a good boxing match. There is a ton of little pokes, movements, and projectile checks with the goal of trying open the other guy and capitalize with some big damage (unless it's Injustice where it's pretty much "hey, this move is safe, so I'm just going to throw this out there an see if he unblocks").

The same combos are done by everyone in ANY fighting game, it's just Injustice is boring to watch to begin with, so it's harder to tolerate :p

COME. AT. ME. BRO.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
This is something that has plagued NRS's games for years.
It's a scaling system that's been screwed by the fact that NRS constantly nerfs damage overall. It's pretty close to what UMK3's scaling was, if not exactly the same. Just damage values are extremely nerfed in comparison, although it's done so unevenly.

Also, if you think NRS has a problem with variety in combos, don't go over to Tekken lol. Or anything else not really link-based.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I use Bane, our best combo is like... b.23 123 BP but we have so many set-ups I only end up using it like 3 times a match maybe. I usually b.23 b.23 reset, or b.23 123 upper for advantage, or b.2xxBP... etc

cyke_out

Noob
Chris G's Arrow has been doing plenty of MB B3 cancels during a string recently on streams. He's getting 40% damage out of Arrow, which for that character is really good. It does has a place and it does have it's uses, however, when the top tier can get over 40 for one bar, then there is no reason for them to do it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
This is something that has plagued NRS's games for years.
It's a scaling system that's been screwed by the fact that NRS constantly nerfs damage overall. It's pretty close to what UMK3's scaling was, if not exactly the same. Just damage values are extremely nerfed in comparison, although it's done so unevenly.

MkFinest

Monster
More like Injustice combo system too boring. Mostly Every bnb is the same format, MB special b3 ji3. This is one of the reasons why i think this game is boring. Every combo is the same.

MagicMan357

More like Injustice combo system too boring. Mostly Every bnb is the same format, MB special b3 ji3. This is one of the reasons why i think this game is boring. Every combo is the same.
WTF game are you playing? Thats sounds like a fault of your own lol

SaJa

FH_FenriR
day 1 subject by tony-T. No dash block, no creative and crazy combos especially for such a casual fighting game.

McNasty

Moist.
I play WW I havnt even scraped the surface of available combos let alone max damage. Especially when you are talking corner stance change and cornered position change. I also always end up using custom combos that depend on random in game situations where gravity is changed. Literally endless combinations with both stances and cancelling.

I agree that the b3 or f3 in the middle of the combos are not useful enough considering how much meter it costs, but they do have some uses. If you want to get off a stage and you can't land a naked b3 or your combos don't contain any, then you can use it to get that transition into a more favourable stage. It could probably also help in giving you time to reach for an interactable as well, but it is far too much meter either way.