What's new

Is Frame-Data worth memorizing before Patches/Nerfs & Buffs?

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
Because imagine shoving a ton of block advantage in your head only to find out that paticular moves frames changed after updates. Been kicking myself for not reading my frame-data study cards everyday like I promised but considering just to "learn as I go" through ranked matches until patches change everything. Maybe for now its better to memorize every characters BnBs for now (Especially for Shang mains) so you know what to fuzzy-guard.
Its like studying for a math exam only to find out everything you memorized isn't in the test.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Frame data is always important, i don't think learning it early on has ever hurt more than it helped. They'll change a few things, you'll keep up with it so 90% of what you learned will still have good bearing on your gameplay.

The question is "is it worth learning if you don't plan on playing offline?"

D

Deleted member 35141

At this point its been almost 3 months and no patches so this question is pretty silly.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Very few moves will be adjusted compared to how many that won't. Make good use of the practice mode's on screen frame data and just try to remember general stuff. Like what is Scorpion's amp teleport? -18? -17? Close enough. You can kind of flow chart it a lot of the time, slightly minus means you might need to poke, -5 to -7 is safe but you should get pressure afterwards, -8 to -10 you get poke or jab punishes, -15ish and -20ish punished should be optimized more if possible, etc. You can kind of categorize moves like that so you don't always need to know exact frame data, but knowing what the numbers may translate to in game makes learning come much faster. You also need to consider pushback which the frame data won't tell you.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Very few moves will be adjusted compared to how many that won't. Make good use of the practice mode's on screen frame data and just try to remember general stuff. Like what is Scorpion's amp teleport? -18? -17? Close enough. You can kind of flow chart it a lot of the time, slightly minus means you might need to poke, -5 to -7 is safe but you should get pressure afterwards, -8 to -10 you get poke or jab punishes, -15ish and -20ish punished should be optimized more if possible, etc. You can kind of categorize moves like that so you don't always need to know exact frame data, but knowing what the numbers may translate to in game makes learning come much faster. You also need to consider pushback which the frame data won't tell you.
Fucking pushback lol "where something reads as punishable until you get punished for trying to punish." It is in and of itself punishment enough....... It sentences you to the unspeakable machine of doom swapping your conscious with your subconscious and rendering your fantasies pointless while everything you think you know becomes impossible to grasp....

Also every 10 seconds it stabs your balls

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
NRS are such caring developers. They make sure the game stays the same so new players wont have to learn everything over again <3 that's customer service right there

hire me

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Very important, as certain things may open up strategically with even with just 1 frame adjusted. You might be able to punish more important things with faster startup, or have an improved frame trap with added block advantage. Maybe the recovery reduction will open up potential setup opportunities.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
Thank you haha. Will keep this in mind