What's new

Breakthrough - Ruthless Is ferra torr good?

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
On the other hand most people dont know that Ft has no overhead, command grab, or armor without Ferra, and cannot use her on wake up (except charge and grab) or immediately after because she will not be on his back right away.
People also forget about the Lackey normals we DO get w/o ferra. I've played people who like to wait for me to throw ferra out and run in cuz they think I'm defenseless. The d1 will catch them running in, I really need to be using that b4 too.

Kamikaze_Highlander

As a main since day one I can say that Ferra/Torr is fanfuckingtastic. My favourite character design by miles, and just so damn satisfying to play (check this set out). I started with vicious and loved just wrecking most characters zoning (Oh hi GM Sub! you just dropped a clone in neutral? Welcome to a 50/50 you just put yourself in). I dabbled in Ruthless on release but PnG was mostly useless pre-8\31 patch(ending in f3 2 was the best option). I really expected a lot of people to start trying the character out after this MASSIVE buff, but I'm quietly pleased that that hasn't been the case.

They are ranked low on tiers because of lack of publicity, and peoples (mis)conception that they are easy to zone (only two characters have favourable trades with Ferra OH/Low projectiles, sub and ermac, if there's another character with trap projectiles please remind me, I don't really count inferno scorp). With a lot of practice and good reads its very easy to shut down your opponents zoning. I think they also lack variety in there move set, so I can see why people may get a bit bored with them. I also feel the lack of variety plays into their flaws.

I'm gonna argue that meterless damage (outside of Ruthless) is actually pretty weak, even Vicious' METERED damage is pretty weak, you're not gonna get past maaaaaayyyyyybe 35% in vicious, Vicious also lacks any real reason to go for a setup rather than damage (not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it makes strategizing kinda redundant when you can only do the same 3 things, this is more more of a wait and punish variation). Can't speak for Lackey, I get abandonment anxiety:(.

In summation, if you want to do well with this character, learn the fuck out of Lackey and Ruthless, git gud, its really easy. Spend maybe an hour in Vicious to see get a feel for the two different moves, but your gameplan going into a match will be the same...

BREAK THA FACE!!!!

Kamikaze_Highlander

Vicious- honestly not much needs to be said about it, I feel the command grab is awful for throw setups and just a negative and boss toss doesnt go full screen so using him for counter zoning isn't really viable.
It goes like 7/8ths of the screen, a few short steps or one jump in over a projectile will put you at range. It's also fantastic for catching wakeup jumps.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
It goes like 7/8ths of the screen, a few short steps or one jump in over a projectile will put you at range. It's also fantastic for catching wakeup jumps.
Boss toss is the best meaty on wake ups ever. Gets jumping , any wake up without meter, backdashes. Anything but blocking or armor. I use it a lot just to force some respect on wake up

Kamikaze_Highlander

Boss toss is the best meaty on wake ups ever. Gets jumping , any wake up without meter, backdashes. Anything but blocking or armor. I use it a lot just to force some respect on wake up
Yuuup, do the same thing, once you get them trained to stay on the ground it's welcome to 50/50world.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Since everyone's in this thread atm I'll post this here.
With ruthless, what are your favorite corner pain n gain setups to eat wakeups and stay on top of your opponent if they decide to not wake up?
I've been doing the usual bnb's ending with command grab and then just doing png directly after, waiting for a wakeup and whiff punishing it, and if they don't wake up I cancel the png and start mashing d1 or b1 pressure. This setup is useful but if they decide to jump, anything can happen. I have theorized ending corner combos with f32 and immediately doing png while I'm right on top of their body, then eating wakeups and doing my normal routine, but if I see them jump, run cancel under it and knock them out of the sky with s1. This has worked in practice mode with my testing but I have yet to put into my gameplay. Anyone have any similar setups that might work better?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Since everyone's in this thread atm I'll post this here.
With ruthless, what are your favorite corner pain n gain setups to eat wakeups and stay on top of your opponent if they decide to not wake up?
I've been doing the usual bnb's ending with command grab and then just doing png directly after, waiting for a wakeup and whiff punishing it, and if they don't wake up I cancel the png and start mashing d1 or b1 pressure. This setup is useful but if they decide to jump, anything can happen. I have theorized ending corner combos with f32 and immediately doing png while I'm right on top of their body, then eating wakeups and doing my normal routine, but if I see them jump, run cancel under it and knock them out of the sky with s1. This has worked in practice mode with my testing but I have yet to put into my gameplay. Anyone have any similar setups that might work better?
Depends on the opponent.
Against fast wake-ups, f.32 is fine I guess but since they can tech roll anyways you're better off with something like b.121xxPnG and then that should leave you with enough time to start up a b.12 if you short cancel it and they are higher up.

Otherwise, end it in something like 2 f.4 or 111 then do PnG short cancel n.j.p and you'll be amazed sorta.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I dont like ending with F32 to set up pain n gain because they get up pretty quick with a tech roll. I usually just do what you said and end in command grab for damage and hkd. Then do a "meaty" raw pain n gain on their wake up for intimidation. If they try to jump out Ill just EX command grab them with armor and throw them back in the corner and its back to the same scenario