What's new

Is everyone Genuinely Excited for Friendships?

At first I was hype for friendships being reintroduced into the game. They seem funny as they should, and feel like a fun addition. Then the reality set in. It's just another long non game play movie you're forced to sit through. It'll be the same thing as seeing the same fatality over and over and over. I'm coming at this from the perspective of playing the game a lot, not a little. I can see the barely play crowd loving this as they wont see it often and it'll be comical, but for people that play online a lot you'll see these constantly and I imagine they will wear thin. Why can't NRS design fatalities with the time frame of brutalities in mind? Brutalities are the best thing that were introduced in their current incarnation in MKX. They are short, sweet, to the point, and fun. They don't halt the game in favor of netflix n chill. Stopping the gameplay in favor of a cutscene is ok for a single player game that relies on story telling, but for a fighting game, it just doesn't work imo. Are there really people that prefer cutscenes play instead of actually playing the game? When you lose a game and are forced to constantly watch cutscenes don't you get tired of it? Aren't you ready to just jump back into the next match? It already takes too long to load the next match when you're itching for a run back, but to endure movies, I believe it just breaks the flow way too much and I have a feeling that Friendships in this regard will be just as tiresome. If they were shorter, maybe, but some so far seem really long, and it'll be another thing for players to abuse. Toxicity tbag into movie on top of shitty connections is already commonplace and overly annoying. So will friendships be any different? Anyone else agree fatalities and the upcoming friendships should evolve and be streamlined into the gameplay more like a brutality? Or are there people who genuinely sit there and can't wait to see the movie?

Firstly, i'll be doing that Scorpion friendship whenever i get the chance, just too funny.

But i don't think they're as bad as fatalities, only because they don't seem to be so heavily produced in terms of framing and style. It's sort of like halfway between both - you need to wait for the button input, but it's a relatively quick animation after that.

An afterthought i had yesterday was that they really take away from the games dark violent aesthetic, but i don't think that's a bad thing. In fact it's probably quite good considering that the gore in this game is so in your face compared to previous games. It's a nice lighthearted joke in an otherwise very morbid game.

And scorpion with that teddy bear makes me chuckle everytime!

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
They need to be tied to something challenging, like Babalities were in MK9. It needs to be a humiliating way to finish the opponent. Furthermore, that shit will get old LIKE EVERY KRUSHING BLOW, FATAL BLOW AND FATALITY IN THE GAME after we watch it 50 fucking billion times.

If they're tied to something difficult like not blocking or however it works, it will be a rare occurrence and never get old. NOBODY got sick of Babying people in MK9 or seeing people "get babied, bro."

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
Probably I am the happiest person about friendships coming back. I always wanted to end some sets in a friendly way and this is an AWESOME addition. I dont think anyone should say any negative stuff to it because we are able to experience some nostalgia, come back to your senses asap plz

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If the requirements to do them are like they used to be, it’s the same as a babality. You can’t block in the final round. So if you get beaten by someone who isn’t blocking, you deserve to sit through a Friendship.

They’re great, but there needs to be an option to turn fatalities and similar mechanics off - don’t force people to go through these unless they want to

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
They’re interesting, but much like fatalities, seeing them once is really all I care about. They’ll get old just like everything else. Furthermore, the fact that we’re just now getting Friendships a year after release goes to show just how unfinished the game was.

WB needs to chill the fuck out with the workload over there at NRS.

It used to be fun to pull off a fatality bc of the difficulty it took to do it. The timer to do one was really tight and it was much more satisfying when you pulled it off bc the distance you had to be to perform it. Now it's super easy that any 4 year old could do it. You have eternity to perform one. Just my opinion

Also for people who complain about tea bagging and waiting through fatalities I think this would make sense right?

BurdaA

Frost-Byte
I’d be fine with every finisher in the game – after a perfectly executed set of tbags – if only I could skip the fucking useless currency counter animations

Most scrubs won’t be able to do it if it’s like Klassic MK. Friendship is done by winning without blocking.

I never seen a scrub baby someone in MK9, so I’m sure MK11 scrubs will follow suit.

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
They need to be tied to something challenging, like Babalities were in MK9. It needs to be a humiliating way to finish the opponent. Furthermore, that shit will get old LIKE EVERY KRUSHING BLOW, FATAL BLOW AND FATALITY IN THE GAME after we watch it 50 fucking billion times.

If they're tied to something difficult like not blocking or however it works, it will be a rare occurrence and never get old. NOBODY got sick of Babying people in MK9 or seeing people "get babied, bro."
I'm just hoping to god that this Aftermath expansion does something to speed up Krushing Blows and Especially Fatal Blows. Holy sweet fuck if you're going to have them be that long (and you know they get used every match) at least speed them up or SOMETHING. The Press X to increase or decrease damage mini-game can go too, because wtf does that add really? Maybe they'll make Friendships require you to switch stance 5 times a match or something to give the button more of a purpose, but I doubt it.