What's new

Is Captain Cold viable?

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Well if you suck and you're trying to throw out a billion frame OH in the neutral then that's on you. Doesn't mean there's not HTB setups in the corner.

Inb4 "delayed WU bruh", then adjust your timing to their delayed WU. Obviously Cold needs buffs but I don't think improving any HTB setups he has is a good idea
Agreed. He needs neutral changes more than anything. Neutrals that don't involve MB traps and ice globe.

Also yeah. He's basically the same as Joker. He's trash but he has some dirt still, even if it's no where near as much as pre-patch

Last edited:

Cursa

I think everyone just needs to remember why he was nerfed in the first place. If you didn't have a decent projectile and he got globe up your chances of getting in slowly converged on 0%. He'll build meter for puddle while you can't really do anything about it unless you made some HARD reads and then build up trait and rinse and repeat.

NRS just did him bad by not giving him better matchups vs zoners, and maybe nerfing him a little too hard

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
B323 jails despite the high ender, seems like it should be a pretty solid buff for Leonard

Last edited:

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
If you guys want to see a huge troll move by nrs do 122 mb ice blast on a character. It lifts them up more but you can’t follow it up with anything besides a d1. Lol

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Prepatch low tier frametraps b232 +2 on block:

1. string didn't ever hit on block

Evo winning frametraps after Cold b232 +4 on block:

1. d1 into nothing
2. block
3. nothing

Nailed it NRS.

D

Deleted member 58466

Prepatch low tier frametraps b232 +2 on block:

1. string didn't ever hit on block

Evo winning frametraps after Cold b232 +4 on block:

1. d1 into nothing
2. block
3. nothing

Nailed it NRS.
It's not too difficult to hit someone with B232 on block.

After they block B232 though, it's a mind game. You do F23 (10 frames I think) to catch them mashing, and hit confirm it into MB Ice trap. Or you can do D1. Either way, they'll get conditioned and block whatever comes after B232.

Once they are conditioned to block, you can do B232 again or 122 (+4). This forces them to guess when to press buttons after B232. If you just do B232 into B232 (which they should hold, since you should have conditioned them with D1 or F23) , they'll realize they have to press a button eventually. But they will be scared of the D1 and F23.

Edit: F23 is 15 frames, so that's pointless. Also, throws add another layer to the whole thing. Anyways, this whole thing is conceptual so it's going to take some time to be flesh out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cursa

B23 is basically a fast mid and an even faster high due to how quickly the string hits. And the third hit is confirmed against everyone as far as I'm aware.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I was skeptical at first of Cold's seemingly minor changes. But after playing a couple hundred matches with him over the past few days I now believe he's tournament-capable. He's not top 5, but he's certainly not bottom 5 anymore.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
So Cold has finally the remedy for the "All Highs" combo strings?

Cursa

So Cold has finally the remedy for the "All Highs" combo strings?
Yes. If you want to try and punish it it would have to be on prediction and it would have to be tight as shit otherwise you're getting tagged by the second mid which comes out super fast.

He's in a good spot now. I just don't want to him to be ruined again... Just buff other characters if needed. Leave Cold alone. ( Buff Deadshot, Starfire and Raiden for example). If You want to nerf it again then switch lv2 trait and lv3 trait spots. Problem solved... and He would still be viable anyway.

Last edited: