What's new

Is Blu Ray Worth It?

Hey guys,
Im starting up a DVD collection, I know downloading/ streaming is cheaper, but I was wondering if paying the extra few bucks for blu ray is worth it? Each film costs about an extra 5 pounds per disk which is alot if you imagine how many films Ill get.
Do you think the quality is that good or do you think its a rip off? I was thinking of just getting blu ray on just the films I really like. Opinions?

If you have the proper tv, yes. I always choose blu-ray over dvd. Most times you get a dvd/digital copy with the blu-ray.

aj1701

Noob
Yes, bd isn't compressed like a stream would be and I'd you have a good surround system you'll probably get better around than from a stream.

And if you want to try 3d, I dontr think you can do that via steaming.

Justice

Noob
My first blu-ray was Hancock and even that was awesome. The best things to watch are special effects ( eg. Star Wars) or live events (eg. WWE or live concerts). You really feel like you are there with the picture so crisp and clean.

Yes I love my blu-ray :)

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Some blu rays come with a digital download code as well, and I think many of them have a lot more special features than their dvd counter part.

Blu-Ray by far is worth it if you care about extras within the disc itself. It's a fact that the extras are being packed into Blu-Rays these days where as DVDs practically get nothing at all. Like someone said, if you get the Blu-Ray, you almost always will get a digital/DVD disc copy.

IMO, buy Blu-Rays for movies you do not own or for your absolute favorite movies that you may already own. Get anything else on DVD cause DVD is not going to be phased out anytime soon.

aj1701

Noob
Blu-Ray by far is worth it if you care about extras within the disc itself. It's a fact that the extras are being packed into Blu-Rays these days where as DVDs practically get nothing at all. Like someone said, if you get the Blu-Ray, you almost always will get a digital/DVD disc copy.

IMO, buy Blu-Rays for movies you do not own or for your absolute favorite movies that you may already own. Get anything else on DVD cause DVD is not going to be phased out anytime soon.
Iirc, vhs only started catching on in the early 80s, but by 2000 it was already well on the way out. Bd sales are up 18% while DVD sales are down 20%. Of course cloud sales are up too, but personally you can't get the quality you can from bd.

Justice

Noob

At the same time, here in Canada, Blockbuster went under, Rogers has dumped their movies and games (rental and sales) and smaller companies just disappeared. Too many people prefer "free" over quality. Then again, I went to buy the Avengers Combo Pack (BD, DVD and Digital Download) at WAL_MART and they wanted $35 + tax! I still don't own Avengers :'(

No, people say bluray is amazing on an HDTV, but dvd is the same. I've never seen a bluray that was noticeably different than dvd. it's just 5 times the price for maybe 1.05 times the quality

aj1701

Noob
At the same time, here in Canada, Blockbuster went under, Rogers has dumped their movies and games (rental and sales) and smaller companies just disappeared. Too many people prefer "free" over quality. Then again, I went to buy the Avengers Combo Pack (BD, DVD and Digital Download) at WAL_MART and they wanted $35 + tax! I still don't own Avengers :'(
But redbox is picking up here in the us, as is Netflix. I'm not aware of many free legal streaming services.

No, people say bluray is amazing on an HDTV, but dvd is the same. I've never seen a bluray that was noticeably different than dvd. it's just 5 times the price for maybe 1.05 times the quality
Things have to be configured correctly for the best picture. If you're not seeing a difference, something is wrong. I have a hard time watching DVD anymore.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
That's because you watch Blurays in this tv

This explains it pretty well

Dvd = SD
Bluray = 1080p

Btw I didn't realize this was 2007.

But redbox is picking up here in the us, as is Netflix. I'm not aware of many free legal streaming services.

Things have to be configured correctly for the best picture. If you're not seeing a difference, something is wrong. I have a hard time watching DVD anymore.
if you see too much of a difference something is wrong. DVD isnt bad technology, it looks fine.

CYracks

Command Grabber
Don't waste your money on expensive ass bluray.

Don't link to lame ass pirating sites. Thanks. -TYM Staff

aj1701

Noob
if you see too much of a difference something is wrong. DVD isnt bad technology, it looks fine.
DVD has a max resolution of 720x480 @ 60hz. Bluray has a max resolution if 1920x1080. A 15" retina display needs more than the resolution of fullhd before the eye can no longer see individual pixels. So yes, I can see a noticeable difference on a 46" screen. DVD looks good, but bluray has a significantly clearer picture, and better audio as well.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
If you're really into blockbuster special fx flicks, than yes, Bluray is probably worth it.

If you're collecting older films than no, it's not. A high-res version of Warren Beatty's "Reds" is not going to look any better than the DVD transfer, it's just going to be more expensive.

Justice

Noob

The place for all you entertainment needs: thepiratebay.org
Don't waste your money on expensive ass bluray.
This is the problem today. Between people living online and people not even willing to pay for Netflix and such, the home entertainment market is boned.

Justice

Noob
If you're really into blockbuster special fx flicks, than yes, Bluray is probably worth it.

If you're collecting older films than no, it's not. A high-res version of Warren Beatty's "Reds" is not going to look any better than the DVD transfer, it's just going to be more expensive.
I don't entirely agree with this. Companies that spend the monies to transfer to the new medium generally spend the monies on restoration. A good example is the Star Wars blu ray set. Lucasfilms did an amazing job on that. If you really want to see the difference between technological generations, pick up Dragon's Lair on blu ray. It was the first ever laser disk game and one of the extras actually has a comparison between the various stages the game has gone through over the last 20+ years. It's astounding the differences.