What's new

Interesting combo boosts

NoDoubt

nasty
I apologize if this is old news but i never realized some characters get some combo damage boosts off mid-screen jab-cancels. You know when you jab your opponent and when they let go of block you cancel into a combo? If you cancel 2 jabs into a combo, a few characters get some nice damage buffs aside from their regular combo damage. Even more than jump-punch starters. I havent tested every single one, but a big majority dont have this feature...but the ones who do for the most part, it helps them a lot. Except kabal lol.

JAX
regular mid-screen 7 hitter: 37%
2-jab cancel: 47%

MILEENA
regular mid-screen 6 hitter: 30%
jump-punch starter: 30%
2-jab cancel: 40%

regular mid-screen POP UP: 36%
jump-punch starter: 40%
2-jab cancel: 46%

JADE
regular mid-screen 5 hitter: 28%
2-jab cancel: 37%

regular mid-screen 7 hitter: 25%
2-jab cancel: 34%

LUI KANG:
regular mid-screen KICK combo: 22%
jump-punch starter: 30%
2-jab cancel: 32%

^ - mid-screen 6 hitter with flying kick does same damage as above for all areas

regular mid-screen 7 hitter: 29%
jump-punch starter: 37%
2-jab cancel: 39%

KABAL
regular mid-screen 7 hitter: 30%
jump punch starter: 37%
2-jab cancel: 39%

regular mid-screen 6 hitter: 18%
2-jab cancel: 28%

^ - Whats cool is most of the characters that can dish out heavy, heavy damage mid-screen (sindel, nightwolf, sheeva) do not have this feature at all. The 2 jab cancel will remain as its original mid-screen damage. Although some of the characters above dish out the same damage with the jab cancel as their jump-punch starters, its pretty convenient to be able to dish out a lot more damage mid-screen than having to only connect off jump punches for more damage. Although as seen, some do even more than the jump punches. Mileena is getting her act together it seems.

AC1984

Kaballin!
Interesting finding, good job. I try to cancel into a combo a lot but never knew it actually boosts the chain. Cool stuff.

NoDoubt

nasty
Oh yea i forgot to mention:

This was done on MAME 32k.064 so again, havent tested every character/every platform but yea, this could be useful offline if it works on 119 or anything else.

So from now on if a jab hits during a run jab, make sure you get in 2 and then cancel. it significantly raises the damage

AC1984

Kaballin!
For me two seems kind of difficult to time considering how fast the game flows....I usually go for one, I got your Jax a couple of times with it but for me its very hard to do on a stick, i duno if its easier on pad.

Does that work on Xbox as well?

I played around with this extensively offline a couple of years back.
Here's what I know so far:

This only happens if the opponent DOESN'T block the hits before the ground combo starts.

Each LP adds 5% damage on to the ground combo.

Each HP adds 6.5%. Of course trying to do this with all HPs is much more difficult because if you're too close you will start the HP combo instead (though I have done it). You can start off with a LP, then do HPs into ground combo to avoid this.

You can get up to 4 punches in a row before canceling into the combo. (The 5th one pushes the enemy back)

The combo meter does not count the punches in the amount of hits, but counts the damage from them.

ded

Elder God
it could be done unblockable in some scenarios but it needs more testing + it often works even if its blockable just because of how fast it cancels.

remember sweep into kick combo stuff

edit: i forgot to mention, that (for me at least) its useful for one jab into combo tho, not two

Mgo

Noob
OUIJA WARRIOR said:
I played around with this extensively offline a couple of years back.
Here's what I know so far:

This only happens if the opponent DOESN'T block the hits before the ground combo starts.

Each LP adds 5% damage on to the ground combo.

Each HP adds 6.5%. Of course trying to do this with all HPs is much more difficult because if you're too close you will start the HP combo instead (though I have done it). You can start off with a LP, then do HPs into ground combo to avoid this.

You can get up to 4 punches in a row before canceling into the combo. (The 5th one pushes the enemy back)

The combo meter does not count the punches in the amount of hits, but counts the damage from them.
Nice info.
Some situations of this occur after throw jabs in a point (with glitch jab to be safe) your opponent can come running and suffer that jabs near of you, then you start an autocombo

I forgot to mention this before, but the punches don't count toward the hit limits of special moves either. For example with Human Smoke you could get 1-4 punches then cancel to the 2 hit pop up, JK, Teleport punch, etc. Normally after 5 hits you can't teleport punch, but since the punches don't count toward the combo hits or the special move hit limits you can do it.

I was testing some more today and it looks like you can get 5 punches canceled into autocombo, as long as you do LP-HP-HP-HP-HP autocombo.

I don't know why but you can only do 2 punches then cancel to autocombo on the AI (3rd punch makes them stumble back). Works well on AI when done after containment moves (freeze, spear,). You can actually do freeze, 3 punches (AI stumbles back) freeze autocombo without AI blocking. (sometimes the AI will duck second freeze while stumbling back ???)

As far as its use in a real match, 1 or 2 canceled into combo seems best. Going for 3-4-5 punches into combo will probably end up with your autocombo being blocked because I can't imagine someone letting you drill their chest without eventually waking up and blocking before you cancel into autocombo.