What's new

Input Window Mode

D

Deleted member 57944

In the settings for the stress test, I noticed that there was an input window mode where you could change the time frame for cancelling your strings into specials by choosing short, medium, or long. This sounds like a great way for newer players to get into the game before they try to challenge themselves. But, I don't know how this would work out in the competitive scene.

How would this apply to competitive?

Would players be forced to go for the short input window and casuals can choose to play however they wish online?
Or would anyone be allowed to play in tournaments, even if they lack the execution by changing the input window?

Let me know your thoughts!

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm wondering how big the difference is I'll definitely try it out in training mode. Most people who've played MK9, MKX, IJ2 probably quickly cancel the special right after they're done with the string input. I don't think it'll be that significant honestly.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm wondering how big the difference is I'll definitely try it out in training mode. Most people who've played MK9, MKX, IJ2 probably quickly cancel the special right after they're done with the string input. I don't think it'll be that significant honestly.
I tried and still messed up a few times, but maybe because i was under pressure, i will see on the release which works best, i played with long and short only each one having its pros and cons, i think medium is where my lenience is, because short i have to delay certains moves as much as possible from NRS strings which take a while to execute.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I tried and still messed up a few times, but maybe because i was under pressure, i will see on the release which works best, i played with long and short only each one having its pros and cons, i think medium is where my lenience is, because short i have to delay certains moves as much as possible from NRS strings which take a while to execute.
Yeah, I think going into it with the training mode will be a good way to see what works best for each person.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
In the settings for the stress test, I noticed that there was an input window mode where you could change the time frame for cancelling your strings into specials by choosing short, medium, or long. This sounds like a great way for newer players to get into the game before they try to challenge themselves. But, I don't know how this would work out in the competitive scene.

How would this apply to competitive?

Would players be forced to go for the short input window and casuals can choose to play however they wish online?
Or would anyone be allowed to play in tournaments, even if they lack the execution by changing the input window?

Let me know your thoughts!
It won't effect competitive because it doesn't pose any particular advantage (in theory) to use one or the other. It's just a preference thing. Shorter input window probably means less accidental special attacks, but you also might miss special inputs sometimes because of it.

BecomingDeath13

"You won't winter over?" Who the fuck wrote that?
I kept forgetting to turn release check off in the beta and kept getting accidental flame spears off of Scorpion's b14~db3amp
I was getting salty but didn't want to leave my sets to change it.
The short window is what I'll be using though. I always buffer my special immediately after inputting my string, so I don't need a lot of time to do it.
The difference is 3 frames between them. Long is a 12 frame buffer window, medium is 9, and short is 6.

Alex_Smith

The artist formerly known as blueNINE.
If it affects the cancel window, that is definitely significant – having more time to confirm would be important; you don't always want to input a cancel unless you're hitting (or your opponent hasn't used Breakaway).

I'm going to guess that it really just changes the amount of time that you can get a special move in-between a directional buffer and pressing a button, though, which is just preference.

In tournament, players will be able to just use whatever is most comfortable for them.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
If it affects the cancel window, that is definitely significant – having more time to confirm would be important; you don't always want to input a cancel unless you're hitting (or your opponent hasn't used Breakaway).

I'm going to guess that it really just changes the amount of time that you can get a special move in-between a directional buffer and pressing a button, though, which is just preference.

In tournament, players will be able to just use whatever is most comfortable for them.
Yeah if it applied to cancel window then it could allow hit confirm. I'm interested to hear more about this. Maybe someone can bring this up to NRS to be addressed.

I kept forgetting to turn release check off in the beta and kept getting accidental flame spears off of Scorpion's b14~db3amp
I was getting salty but didn't want to leave my sets to change it.
The short window is what I'll be using though. I always buffer my special immediately after inputting my string, so I don't need a lot of time to do it.
The difference is 3 frames between them. Long is a 12 frame buffer window, medium is 9, and short is 6.
They actually added a fantastic quality of life change where if you press 2 in the character select you can edit your controller settings

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
Yeah i was liking the extra settings. they even had offline lag to practice with. I won't know what's best for me until i get practice mode though. I need that controlled environment and time to really get everything down. I do expect to learn with medium though to avoid accidental inputs

It's definitly not for the cancel window I think and more what Zero Gee said.

The ability to adjust the amount of time a special move directional input takes to register. Like if you pressed D to duck a projectile then immediately want to do a F2 attack to counter it, won't think you are doing a special move where the input is DF2 instead if you set it shorter.