What's new

Injustice Option Selects?

Would you like Option Selects in Injustice?

• Total voters
Will Injustice have option selects?

For those not in the know, option selects are a series of inputs that the game's engine will determine depending on the interaction of the characters. In laymen's terms, option selects are like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. The catch is that the player on the business end of the OS has less options.

For example, an Option Select Tech is a defensive OS. If you press db,lp+lk;
1. If the opponent throws, you will tech it.
2. If the opponent attacks, you will block it.
3. If the opponent walks either way, he will be hit by lk.

As you can see, it's an OS because 1 action covers 3 separate options.

An Offensive Option Select would be to input multiple attacks to keep pressure. For example, crJab, crJab + sweep.
1. If the opponent blocks, you continue you blockstring.
2. If the opponent back dashes, the sweep will come out and punish it.

OS add plenty of depth to games because you have to think outside the box to get around them. I think they would be cool to have in Injustice, but how does the community feel about it?

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Will Injustice have option selects?

For those not in the know, option selects are a series of inputs that the game's engine will determine depending on the interaction of the characters. In laymen's terms, option selects are like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. The catch is that the player on the business end of the OS has less options.

For example, an Option Select Tech is a defensive OS. If you press db,lp+lk;
1. If the opponent throws, you will tech it.
2. If the opponent attacks, you will block it.
3. If the opponent walks either way, he will be hit by lk.

As you can see, it's an OS because 1 action covers 3 separate options.

An Offensive Option Select would be to input multiple attacks to keep pressure. For example, crJab, crJab + sweep.
1. If the opponent blocks, you continue you blockstring.
2. If the opponent back dashes, the sweep will come out and punish it.

OS add plenty of depth to games because you have to think outside the box to get around them. I think they would be cool to have in Injustice, but how does the community feel about it?
how would that allow you to continue a block string if the sweep hits on block?

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
MK has very minimal OSes. I prefer it to OS heavy games like what SF4 has become.

I hope Injustice stays in line with how MK handles OSes. Really the only one that is a true OS is JK airthrow. Everything else that people talk about as being OSes are just an unintended consequence of reversed inputs, aside from maybe deep JK into specials.

That said I've been toying with an OS that Cage may have but not sure how viable it is. It would more or less just make my life easier for buffering than do anything crazy.

MK has very minimal OSes. I prefer it to OS heavy games like what SF4 has become.

I hope Injustice stays in line with how MK handles OSes. Really the only one that is a true OS is JK airthrow. Everything else that people talk about as being OSes are just an unintended consequence of reversed inputs, aside from maybe deep JK into specials.

That said I've been toying with an OS that Cage may have but not sure how viable it is. It would more or less just make my life easier for buffering than do anything crazy.
AE style OSes become annoying at the highest possible level. It's almost impossible to throw an experienced opponent. Just a few would be cool to have in Injustice.

trufenix

bye felicia
There's nothing good about option selects, though they are practically impossible to avoid. The reason SF4's are so gross is because of crouch throw teching. Without crouch tech, it wouldn't be such a huge issue at high level.

Most devs don't take the time to consider the ramifications of shared inputs or allowing certain inputs during crouch / dash / jump so i'm sure there will be a few in Injustice. I rmember MK9 had some issues with block / EX os', and weren't CSZ and Cyrax originally gimped by some strings that weren't available out of a dash because of f,f inputs?

There's nothing good about option selects, though they are practically impossible to avoid. The reason SF4's are so gross is because of crouch throw teching. Without crouch tech, it wouldn't be such a huge issue at high level.

Most devs don't take the time to consider the ramifications of shared inputs or allowing certain inputs during crouch / dash / jump so i'm sure there will be a few in Injustice. I rmember MK9 had some issues with block / EX os', and weren't CSZ and Cyrax originally gimped by some strings that weren't available out of a dash because of f,f inputs?
That's not true at all bro. At high level it's literally impossible to back dash out of Ryu's block strings unless your playing Makoto. They are also effective in wake up situations.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Option selects are moves based soley on what your opponent does. My friend was showing me an annoying one with ryu where he would buffer a shoryuken on a jip and if the punch whiffed the shoryuken would come out or something like that because on whiff it decreased the fall time to the ground, where as if it hit it would take an extra split second to fall to the ground, disabling the uppercut input. Where in MK do you see any of this? I'm genuinely curious on that one.

How do these work?

Option selects are moves based soley on what your opponent does. My friend was showing me an annoying one with ryu where he would buffer a shoryuken on a jip and if the punch whiffed the shoryuken would come out or something like that because on whiff it decreased the fall time to the ground, where as if it hit it would take an extra split second to fall to the ground, disabling the uppercut input. Where in MK do you see any of this? I'm genuinely curious on that one.
That's the air buffer aka "Daigo Option Select". Like Dizzy stated, the only true OS in MK is an air throw from a jik.

gamemk characters with bad reversals use backdash to get up safely. Also, OS techs can be blown up by trade OSes, but back dashes beat trade OSes in most cases.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I think it should, just not too many of them. I think every character should have at least one sure fire setup, that can guarentee them something. Just my opinion though.

The thing is that Injustice's wake up system and input system are a lot diferent Capcoms.

SF4 ironically made people more obsessed about option selects because SF4 has more options selects than any other fighter to date. I just doubt that Injustice will have option selects like AE, when it follows MK9's engine. It might have a few but it won't be to the level of AE.

What normal does Ryu have that beats backdash and retains pressure?
Sweep beats every backdash excluding Makoto's. If the OS is done correctly the sweep will never come out given the opponent never tries to backdash. you can do a basic blockstring like crJab, crJab+sweep, crStrong xx Hadoken. The gap is between the second jab and crStrong, so IF they backdash they will be swept automatically.

Not to mention sweep is a hard knockdown. Which means you can go for crossups, safe jumps, etc.

Didn't Air just post his "double Option selects" video just to stop that? He said he designed it for backdashing/focus backdashing Dhalsims. Like I said, The only way not to get Option select raped is to not get knocked down, and to not let people get in on you. Old man, solid zoning beats everything in most 2d fighting games. After all, there's no Hadouken+Tatsumaki option select.
Idk, I don't follow AE anymore I stopped playing a little while after the last patch. This is just what I know off the top of my head. Double OS? Never heard of it, must be new. Sim's wake-up game is terrible compared to most characters, and the only think reliable besides backdashing is his TP. Ryu can OS Tatsu that easy.

The thing is that Injustice's wake up system and input system are a lot diferent Capcoms.

SF4 ironically made people more obsessed about option selects because SF4 has more options selects than any other fighter to date. I just doubt that Injustice will have option selects like AE, when it follows MK9's engine. It might have a few but it won't be to the level of AE.
I don't want AE style option selects. There are too many IMO. The coolest one from AE is the OS tech

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
That's the air buffer aka "Daigo Option Select". Like Dizzy stated, the only true OS in MK is an air throw from a jik.
No, there is also the air special OS, where a deep JK will cancel if the JK lands.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Forgot about that. It doesn't cancel because of the block and hitting the floor so early correct?
Yes. It's such a fucked up OS if you use it properly. A lot of characters that can use it can get a combo off of a very difficult to AA jump in, while having advantage on block.