What's new

Injustice NYCC - DeadlyBison Ent Interview w/ Hector, "Why should SF and Marvel players get it?"

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
DeadlyBison Entertainment got a vital interview with producer Hector Sanchez at the New York Comic-Con this weekend asking Hector all tournament related questions. Expressing the concerns players had regarding the issues with Mortal Kombat, Hector addresses the fact of how much NetherRealm Studios is listening to the tournament players and working to only improve for Injustice. John Golba of DeadlyBison Ent asks Hector to sell this game to Street Fighter and Marvel players and cxplain to him "why" they should play it.
Credit: Rathalos

Attachments

glad to see hector has really embraced this tournament stuff. he's come a long way since MKA.

the biggest thing i notice is variety, and the distinction between characters. sure there are "gadget chars" and "power chars", and the game is really separated into those two, i just think the biggest thing i have noticed is variety. for me this means no more randoming and finding a suitable character. mk9 made an attempt to do that, but i still couldn't decide on a main.

however, the variety also leads me to believe that the game will be unbalanced. too much variety can cause matchup problems. i want injustice to be as good as MKDA was with every matchup in the game 5-5. it was said mk9 set out to make that goal to be balanced. i feel that it should continue to be.

my overall impression of the game is still a casual/hardcore hybrid fighting game. it's an absolute masterpiece if you're into that kind of stuff. me, im all about just being a hardcore fighting game player.

looks like im just going to pass on this game, guys. i wish everyone the best of luck with it. it's just not my thing. i'll check it out someday and give it a chance. it looks really good for the game that its trying to be. its just not for me.

later

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
the biggest thing i notice is variety, and the distinction between characters. sure there are "gadget chars" and "power chars", and the game is really separated into those two, i just think the biggest thing i have noticed is variety. for me this means no more randoming and finding a suitable character. mk9 made an attempt to do that, but i still couldn't decide on a main.

however, the variety also leads me to believe that the game will be unbalanced. too much variety can cause matchup problems. i want injustice to be as good as MKDA was with every matchup in the game 5-5. it was said mk9 set out to make that goal to be balanced. i feel that it should continue to be.
I have like the complete opposite opinion.
The character variety is the best thing about Injustice so far, character homogenization was a big problem in MK9, everyone was far to similar, except for a few outliers. For a game to have 5/5 matchups across the board everyone basically has to play the same, and well I guess that's balanced, it's also incredibly boring. A game can still be balanced and have matchup problems, just look at AE2012.

The not caring for it because its a catering to casuals, I can understand that though.

*Disclaimer, I have never played, or know anything about MKDA.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
I think Hector and Paulo deserve a lot more credit than they're given. This was a great interview.

However, at this point, the only reason I'm looking forward to Injustice is that it will serve as a buffer for MK10. I know NRS is working hard to correct the mistakes they made in MK9, but Injustice just isn't MK. It's got a bunch of goofy mechanics that I don't care for, but at least this game will give NRS some major QA experience before MK10 comes out and I'm 100% for that.

I applaud Injustice, but I've still got MK9 and a bunch of other fighting games I've been meaning to get into. Hope it does well, though.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
glad to see hector has really embraced this tournament stuff. he's come a long way since MKA.

my overall impression of the game is still a casual/hardcore hybrid fighting game. it's an absolute masterpiece if you're into that kind of stuff. me, im all about just being a hardcore fighting game player.

looks like im just going to pass on this game, guys. i wish everyone the best of luck with it. it's just not my thing. i'll check it out someday and give it a chance. it looks really good for the game that its trying to be. its just not for me.

later
Man think off the combo potential that MK didn't
-Wall bounces
- Cancels
- Stage hazards
you will prolly break the game if you got a hold on it lol
you will give in in the end

This Interview was really nice, im happy with true cross ups, once that alot harder to pull than MKs punch cross up,
Frame date is a win,,, if they get them on normals, then fuck the going back on TYM (Na just joking, ill be coming back to see Tony-Ts Cyborg Reset Combo videos" i know Hec saids there be none

My only worry is, other than an engine how is NRS going to top this game

Off Topic: has anyone seen Catwomens Super??

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I think character variety is a must if I'm going to get into a game so the fact that there's different types of characters in this game is awesome. It can still be somewhat of a balanced game as long as there's no matches that exceed 7-3, somewhat similiar to Sff4. I think like 90% of the matches in that game are 6-4 or 5-5 and a few 7-3's. I personally like the challenge of defeating a character that is supposed to beat mine.

I just don't get people saying they will pass on this game that I read from time to time when the finished product has yet to be experienced. I'm sure a lot can happen from now until April.

CYracks

Command Grabber
Bison: "Why should marvel and Street Fighter players like this game?"
Hector: "I'm sorry MK9 sucked so much"

I just don't get people saying they will pass on this game that I read from time to time when the finished product has yet to be experienced. I'm sure a lot can happen from now until April.
Because people are scared, it's like MK bundled with SF, I don't think these MK diehards try to play anything else. What's the harm in NOT playing? I don't get it. Lol. Derp.

kronspik

Noob
Bison: "Why should marvel and Street Fighter players like this game?"
Hector: "I'm sorry MK9 sucked so much"
But that's a good answer. People had a lot of problems with MK9 and they're working on fixing them for Injustice. That's a good way to convince the FGC that Injustice is legit.

AYSAMO

Noob

later
How can you pass on a game you've never played? Especially when it looks so much like MK. At first I was skeptical because of the stage hazards, transitions, and gimmicky clashes; but the more gameplay I see, the more hyped I get.

They said they're gonna remove/tone down the wager bullshit. Watching J360 & Friends playing shows how naked stage interactions are highly punishable, wall bounces, hit trades, etc.

If this game had all 5-5 MUs it'd be fucking boring. No REAL fighting game is that balanced. I believe MK lasted as long as it did despite all the broken characters, was because people evolved the meta beyond just picking Cyrax, Smoke, Kenshi, or Kabal. People leveled up and stopped complaining. MK9 only had maybe 4 characters max that probably could never win a major, well 3 since Stryker actually broke that stigma.

I think Check is downplaying Injustice for reasons unrelated to the game.. I hope you still end up playing this game, so we can drop our derpy day 1 BnBs for borderline-broken ones you come up with.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
But that's a good answer. People had a lot of problems with MK9 and they're working on fixing them for Injustice. That's a good way to convince the FGC that Injustice is legit.
Exactly. The effort they seem to be putting into making sure this game is even more respect/tournament-worthy and keeping people informed/being open and honest about the process gives me great hope. Not just for Injustice, but for how amazing MK10 could/is going to be as a result.

And I'm all for the creativity and innovation. The majority of FG franchises, especially when it comes to SF and Tekken IMO, are more the "Stick with what works, but make sure it maintains its awesomeness and tweak it occasionally to give it the new car smell" strategy, which obviously works for them given their longevity and quality, especially in the case of TTT2...but I'm glad my chosen path of titles/the NRS camp are looking to expand horizons and embrace change along the way.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
MK9 didn't and doesn't suck. Get out of here.

I've played it more than games of my favorite game series' b/c it's just that addicting.

That said, I hope injustice is a hit.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
i just think the biggest thing i have noticed is variety. for me this means no more randoming and finding a suitable character.
I don't understand, wouldn't more variety mean that you have a better chance at finding a main?

too much variety can cause matchup problems. i want injustice to be as good as MKDA was with every matchup in the game 5-5.
You make it sound like MKDA was actually a good game and worth comparing to other fighting games...

I happen to be into playing games that are considered "absolute masterpieces". Some people like to play absolute crap as long as it's "hardcore". It's a personal choice I guess. BTW, what specifically makes this game casual?

looks like im just going to pass on this game, guys. i wish everyone the best of luck with it. it's just not my thing.
I look forward to your tournament viable Injustice combo videos.

I like how netherrealm is the only fighting game maker that is being creative and listens to its fans. Hector was talking like a top fighting game player himself.